Phillies 2010 Season Thread

Started by SunMo, March 31, 2010, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Houston is a completely different team with Lance Berkman in the lineup, but yeah, I'll be interested to see how they play against a real team.

ice grillin you

they also sat pence today...hes started slow but hes still a good major leaguer

there starting lineup today was a disagrace
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: mpmcgraw on April 11, 2010, 04:26:43 PM
Werth is arguably the second best player on this team.  He's a very good outfielder, great arm, very good baserunner, sees a lot of pitchers, gets on base at a very good % and has a ton of power.

its not even close dude. 

who would you start a team with, jimmy or werth?  well, maybe not you but given that choice, i'm pretty sure most gm's would go with jimmy.  werth is a stud, there's no disputing that.  but he's easier to replace than j-roll.  your jimmy hate is beyond pathetic. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

not a great showing by the offense today, but oswalt is a good pitcher and easily the best one they've seen so far this year.  not to mention that you knew they'd have to cool off some sooner or later.  but if you're going to yuck it up at the plate, best to do it while doc is on the bump.

sweeeeeeeeeeeep!

ice grillin you

i wouldnt even call werth a stud....hes a really good player nothing less nothing more
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

mpmcgraw

I just don't even know what to tell you if you think Rollins is better than Werth.  He runs fast and is great on defense, but outside of that Werth has him beat in damn near everything with their batting average being the only wash.

Rome

You mean a 6'5" 218 pound power hitter has better power numbers than a 5'10" 165 pound leadoff hitter?

How is that even possible?

mpmcgraw

and hes also much much better at getting on base.  So basically he is much better at the two most important aspects of baseball. 

Rome

Rollins has been playing as a regular in the league for a shade under 10 years.  Werth has been a regular for a shade over 2 years.  But sure, comparing the lifetime stats of both players is awesome.

And he's not that much better if his lifetime batting average is lower than a guy with a sample size that is 7+ years larger.

mpmcgraw

I'm looking at the past three years which usually gives you a good picture.  Granted Werth was a platoon player in 07 but hes only gotten better and because Werth's developement was so stunted by injuries and missed playing time there is a chance he gets even better this year. 

PhillyGirl

I'm as big of a Jayson Werth fan that you'll find...and I can tell you that he is, without a doubt, NOT a better baseball player than Jimmy Rollins.

Its actually not even close.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

mpmcgraw

unless we are talking about how to make a good sammich i cant say i value your opinion all that highly

PhillyGirl

methinks you don't want to go there.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

mpmcgraw

its a joke, point is if you look at their combined stats from 07-09 which includes his MVP year Werth has Rollins beat in BA, OBP, SLG, OPS, OPS +

idk why im arguing though because you guys never change your mind about anything.

MDS

and you just go by what bill james says, loser
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: mpmcgraw on April 11, 2010, 08:55:12 PM
I just don't even know what to tell you if you think Rollins is better than Werth.  He runs fast and is great on defense, but outside of that Werth has him beat in damn near everything with their batting average being the only wash.

ok, so let me get this straight.  defensively, jimmy is superior.  on the bases, jimmy is superior.  batting average is even.  but werth is the superior player?  that makes sense.   

Quote from: mpmcgraw on April 11, 2010, 09:16:57 PM
and hes also much much better at getting on base.  So basically he is much better at the two most important aspects of baseball. 

werth bats between howard and ibanez.  rollins basically bats between the pitcher and until this year, victorino.  you really can't compare the 2.  having polanco bat 2nd is really going to be a huge benefit for rollins and that's apparent early on this year.

Quote from: PhillyGirl on April 11, 2010, 09:49:11 PM
I'm as big of a Jayson Werth fan that you'll find.

no.  you're not, pee wee.