2009 76ers Offseason Thread

Started by reese125, May 28, 2009, 10:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

Guy with sources from the realgm boards:
Quotemiller is all about the money and length of contract..we wont go 3 years....he wont be here. Portland will get him..and its probably gonna be sign and trade.

No word on who might be coming back (Blake or possibly Outlaw?)

QuotePHILADELPHIA — It's no secret that the Sixers would like to trade Samuel Dalembert this summer, just like it's no secret that Dalembert has asked the Sixers to trade him in the past.

The Sixers could have a match now that Houston Rockets center Yao Ming might miss the entire season and possibly more with a foot injury that hasn't healed.

The Rockets would also like to trade Tracy McGrady, who is entering the final season of his contract worth $23.2 million.

According to an NBA source, the Sixers might look into such a deal.

In order to make the salaries match within 25 percent, the Sixers would have to include another player or two. Dalembert has two years and $23.6 million left, including $11.4 million this coming season.

But Dalembert also has a 15 percent trade kicker, which would add $3.8 million to his contract. That has been a huge roadblock in the Sixers' previous attempts to trade him.

Another roadblock could be the other player, or players, the Sixers would have to include in the deal.

The Sixers would most likely be willing to include Willie Green ($3.7 million) and perhaps a future draft pick, but not Lou Williams ($5 million).

McGrady, meanwhile, is expected to miss the first half of next season as he recovers from knee surgery.

That won't matter to the Sixers as much as McGrady's expiring contract, which would make the Sixers potential players in the heralded free agent class of 2010 (they wouldn't be in the running for LeBron James).

There aren't too many other possible landing spots for Dalembert because of his contract and trade kicker.

"Every team has bad contracts," the source said. "But that trade (kicker) just adds insult to injury."

The Sixers also know that Dalembert could sulk if he returns and isn't playing regularly under coach Eddie Jordan. That's something he has done in the past.

It would seem that Dalembert would get a chance to play regularly in Houston.

But if the Sixers make that deal, chances are they wouldn't be able to re-sign Andre Miller without going over the luxury tax because of McGrady's contract.

They might not be able to re-sign Miller anyway.

The negotiating period for free agents began just past midnight, but it's likely that the Sixers won't want to sign Miller for more than two seasons.

Miller's agent, Andy Miller (no relation), hasn't returned phone calls. Miller, 33, made $10 million last season, and chances are, he's looking for one last big contract, perhaps for four years.

The Sixers probably won't go for that. They drafted Jrue Holiday to be the point guard of the future. The Sixers would be OK with letting Holiday learn behind Miller for a season or two, but probably not more than that.

The Sixers could work out a sign-and-trade with Miller. There are rumors that Portland could be interested, with the Sixers getting point guard Steve Blake, who played under Jordan in Washington.

That scenario could depend on whether Portland makes a run at Hedo Turkoglu. If that happens, the Blazers probably wouldn't have enough money to go after Miller.

If Miller leaves, the Sixers could turn over the point guard position to Williams, who is entering his fifth season. This would be somewhat of a gamble, considering Williams has never really had the chance to play point guard with Miller on the team.

Link

In for both deals, especially since McGrady's contract expires after the season.

ice grillin you

i love how it says at the end if miller leaves they could turn over the point to lou...if miller leaves they will have exactly two guys on the roster who could play point and one is a 19 year old rookie
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

miller is finished.
sam sucks.

get the expiring contract, play what you got, figure out where you want spend your cash, do it in 2010
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD_Eagle5

According to the gws nobody wants Sammy...nobody.

If Miller isn't signed and traded for Blake/Outlaw they may explore Bibby or Parker.

PhillyPhreak54

All the Rocket fans at work want Dalembert. They seem to think he's good. Ship his ass down here to the Toyota Center.

Who may explore Bibby/Parker?

SD_Eagle5

The Sixers if a Miller s & t falls through.

Miller apparently wants a 3 year $10 mill per deal the Sixers are offering a 2 year $8 mill per deal. If he's shipped to Portland it'll be for a s & t for Blake and Outlaw. Portland is hot for Turkoglu. Sixers have been talking to the Pistons about Rip but the Pistons have something else in the works. From what this guy says they'll give Sammy away but they have no takers. That deal for McGrady's expiring deal is a pipe dream...I'd include LouWill or a 1st to get it done. The Sixers just want a vet PG to hold the fort down for 2 seasons until Holiday is ready.

reese125

I cant figure out why Ed wants to take on Rips contract--plus wheres he getting the loot to do it anyway?

Hamilton is a good player and a nice defender, but his days of being the quickest on the floor, running circles all game long, and bouncing off screens for a wide-open shot are behind him

reese125

wheew what an offseason

obviously news around the league that the cap will be significantly lower next year and 2011 hurts the FA market, but ed offering miller a 1 yr deal at 6 million will not sit well-- and they could easily start the season miller-less, shooting guard lou williams at pg, no real grooming for holliday and a disgruntled alcoholic center in sam dalembert.

the confusing thing about miller is stefanski was just quoted in saying that "going with an aging pg on a multi-year deal is not the direction we want to go with the young nucleus we have...." then why the farg didnt he trade him at the deadline when he had the chance if that was his plan?

MDS

there is a 0% chance anyone reads that
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Jrue Holiday impresses scouts beyond his numbers
By Kate Fagan

Inquirer Staff Writer

ORLANDO - Although Jrue Holiday's numbers at this Orlando Pro Summer League might appear unimpressive, most NBA scouts remain impressed.

Through four games, Holiday is averaging 8.8 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.75 assists, 1.75 steals, 3.5 turnovers, and 0.8 blocks a game, hardly overwhelming numbers for the 76ers' first-round draft pick.

Yet there is something about his play, his fundamentally sound outside shot, his solid ball handling, his aggressive, on-balance defense that has many NBA insiders believing the Sixers got lucky when the 19-year-old dropped to the 17th pick.

"If you're Philly and he drops to you, it's a no-brainer," one NBA scout said.

The consensus is that while Holiday is more a "project" than a "step-in-and-play" guy, he has the physical tools to become an NBA starter and could contribute 12-15 minutes a game this coming season.

"He looks like he belongs," said another scout.

"He makes passes you can't teach," said a third. "And in this league, when everyone is worried about their next shot, he would be a fun guy to play with."

Sure, Holiday is committing errors: In one sequence late in yesterday afternoon's 83-62 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder, Holiday dribbled too much, tried to get to the middle, and then lost the ball in traffic. A few seconds later, he caught the ball on the sideline, his heel already out of bounds.

But there are better moments - a steal at midcourt and an effortless dunk - and what becomes clear is his easy ability to part with the basketball if it's the right pass, his understanding of angles as he draws away defenders, then, at just the right second, feeding a bounce pass in stride to an open teammate.

In the first quarter, Holiday passed up an open three-pointer from just off the top of the key. Instead, he took one dribble to the left, the defender recovered, and Holiday picked up his dribble, nowhere to go.

An anomaly in these proving-ground leagues, Holiday's was a mistake of letting a scoring opportunity pass rather than forcing a shot that wasn't there.

"Shoot that, Jrue," whispered one scout, more to himself than anyone else.

"He's only 19, he has so much to learn."

The consensus is that Holiday is doing a little too much thinking, not enough reacting. On the last play of the game, Holiday curled along the three-point line, caught a pass, and immediately lifted into his shot. It was his only made three-pointer of the day.

The shot was more reaction than thought.

What might Holiday's future look like this season? Should he play? How much? Might he start?

"He'll play," said one scout. "Starting? That would be asking a lot of the kid."

A Sammy spotting. Sixers center Samuel Dalembert was at the RDX Sportsplex for yesterday's games.

When Dalembert arrived, he said hello to Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard. The pair talked about the elbow Howard threw at Dalembert during the Sixers' first-round playoff series against the Magic. For that elbow, Howard was suspended for Game 6 of the playoffs.

Howard apologized.

"He said, 'Don't elbow me back,' " Dalembert explained. "I know Dwight. . . . I was surprised it happened; it was frustration . . . we're all right."

Dalembert also talked about this summer's various trade rumors as well as his midseason request for a trade.

"I asked for that because I didn't think they were using me to my full potential." Dalembert said. "If [a trade] doesn't happen, I'm not miserable. I said it, and I stick by it. If it's going to be a yo-yo with me again, and we're losing, trust me, God as my witness, if we're winning, I'll be the happiest guy on the planet."

Added Dalembert: "And now it's about 'Sam's offense' . . . We have scorers, we pay guys to score, that's their job. My job is to control the defense. If the guys we got, you know, cannot get that done, as a whole we need to get better offensively."

Dalembert lives in Florida during the off-season and said he had been doing a lot of yoga, working on his flexibility, and doing stabilization exercises for the shoulder he injured at the end of last season. Dalembert said he would begin "really hard" basketball workouts next week.

reese125

Chris Duhons agent is try to work a sign and trade with the Sixers

Sixers are looking for a draft pick to go with it

I think think the draft pick will be irrelevant in this case, but hes a nice stop gap pg that can play the pick and roll off Brand and hit the occasional 3...shtein hes better than going with Lou Will...get it.

Rome

Duhon has a year left on his deal with the Knicks.  No need for a sign and trade.

SD_Eagle5

I'd be fine with Duhon as a stopgap player because he's younger. LOL at Miller and his agent thinking he'd get 3 years $30 million.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 11, 2009, 03:42:17 PM
I'd be fine with Duhon as a stopgap player because he's younger. 

i cant believe how young he is...i would have said he was 30...hes only friggin 26

reese125

Quote from: Rome on July 11, 2009, 03:09:42 PM
Duhon has a year left on his deal with the Knicks.  No need for a sign and trade.

the knicks can only offer Miller the MLE at 5.6 million without the sign and trade. with the s&t they can give him 7.6 million. its obvious after trying to lure Jason Kidd, they are looking for a veteran pg to run the break in that offense

the knicks only have to guarantee 1 year of Millers 3 yr contract anyway if traded.

if the sixers scoop duhon and his 6 million, it comes of the books next year. hell...I would do this trade straight up without the draft pick