2009 76ers Offseason Thread

Started by reese125, May 28, 2009, 10:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkmasterflex

I don't know how anybody could get upset by them picking a guard, chances are you are not getting a guy that is coming in and becoming a major contributor year #1 at 17 anyway.  
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on June 25, 2009, 09:30:52 PM
I don't know how anybody could get upset by them picking a guard, chances are you are not getting a guy that is coming in and becoming a major contributor year #1 at 17 anyway. 

Maybe not a major contributor but how bout a guy that can step right in and run the point. Lawson would have been a perfect fit, he'd of struggled but he's more NBA ready.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 25, 2009, 09:29:54 PM
Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on June 25, 2009, 09:24:54 PM
I'm pretty sure he is a point, but I do agree with you they have too many players that are tweeners.  I guess this pick is as good as they could do, they certainly won't be competing in the east this season.  I guess they might as take someone with a high ceiling.  

the hope is maybe he can turn into a point but hes a tweener all the way....his handle is not good enough to be a point and his shooting not good enough to be a two

bilas says his ceiling is high but then says hes not explosive or athletic...where exactly is the ceiling then

most scouts seem to say he could have went much higher so ill take their word for it and agree he was at least the best guy to take at that point...but thats the extent of my enthusiasm for the pick

Bilas actually said he was athletic, just not very explosive.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

ice grillin you

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on June 25, 2009, 09:30:52 PM

i hope his supposed upside shines thru in a few years but for me they basically drafted royal ivey...not exactly the guard i wanted....but im not upset at all...it was a zesty draft and they didnt have a high pick...nothing they really could have done...i just would have rather had a guy with more talent if youre gonna take flyer on someone anyway...or a player with a defined position...hell why not take a shot at jodie meeks (im half kidding)...they need a shooter way more than they need a tweener guard
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Drunkmasterflex

One thing I will give the Sixers over the past few years they do seem to know what they are doing when it comes to the draft.  I am not excited by the pick I actually wanted Lawson or Teague, but most "experts" had this kid rated higher. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on June 25, 2009, 09:41:57 PM
One thing I will give the Sixers over the past few years they do seem to know what they are doing when it comes to the draft.  I am not excited by the pick I actually wanted Lawson or Teague, but most "experts" had this kid rated higher. 

yeah definitely...im more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and i havent seen nearly enough of this kid to make a real good determination...so you gotta go with the scouts on this one

SD_Eagle5

Quote4. Jrue Holiday
Holiday has been the other high riser over the course of the past few weeks, and no one probably helped himself more than Holiday at the combine.

He stacked up well against the other players physically, looked comfortable playing the point in drills, knocked down his jumper and received high marks in interviews.

Holiday actually netted one first-place vote in our poll and garnered several second- and third-place votes. He placed no lower than fifth on anyone's list.

With teams like the Kings, Warriors, Knicks, Bucks and Pacers all looking at him (basically the same list as Flynn), he, too, looks like he's a lock for the lottery.

MDS

Jrue is the dumbest farging spelling for a name I have seen since Errict Rhett.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Drunkmasterflex

:-D he looks like he should be making an appearance on Good Times with that shtein.

I don't know if anybody saw this last night on CSN Steve Rosenberry said that Holiday is one of the best defenders maybe even the best he has seen over the past 20 years.   

PhillyPhreak54

His defense is about the only good thing I can think of. Too bad the position he's going to play require ball handling and shooting too.

Although I did like that he fell to 17. Why? Because his advisors refused to let him come workout for the Sixers because they felt he was going top 10.

Suck on that, pompous iceholes.

reese125

I cant believe 16 other teams passed on the best point defender in the last 20 years--shame on them

in 3 years when Holliday develops into a quality pg, the sixers are now down a PF in Brand and back to square one unless Speights and Smith become all-stars

this teams only hope is 2011 to acquire a big free agent SG to hopefully make up for their lack of a low post offensive threat that will be, but this all wishful thinking...

hunt

i liked the pick.  he has potential & i'd much rather them draft a guy like that than lawson, aka sherman douglas jr., who will be serviceable at best.

and there's a rumor about miller going to portland for blake & outlaw via s&t.  we'll see.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 26, 2009, 11:03:32 AM
His defense is about the only good thing I can think of. Too bad the position he's going to play require ball handling and shooting too.

Although I did like that he fell to 17. Why? Because his advisors refused to let him come workout for the Sixers because they felt he was going top 10.

Suck on that, pompous iceholes.

I don't think ball handling is an issue, shooting yes but he can an least become better at that. 

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.