2009 Point and Laugh at the taterskins thread

Started by Diomedes, January 26, 2009, 10:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

Perhaps his homoerotic feelings toward Holmgren are giving him troubles, so he's trying to convince people that Holmgren coaches like Pam Grier would, which would make it okay for him to whack off thinking about it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

methdeez

PhillyPhreak54

Apparently Chris Samuels is going to retire as early as tomorrow. And some clown on ES is beating the HOF drum for him. lol

Rome

He and Sean Taylor will go into the HOF together, which is nice.

Eagaholic

QuoteAfter letting anxiety build for several days following Sunday's loss to Kansas City, Cerrato opened his ESPN980 radio show by saying, "Jim Zorn is the head coach of the Washington taterskins and will be for the rest of this season, and hopefully into the future."

:-D   Yeah, hopefully

ATV

So that would be pretty embarrassing if the Eagles lost tonight. Even though I hardly care I'd have to seriously consider doing some pointing and laughing.

PhillyPhreak54

The Washington Spin Machine is in full effect!

QuoteAs taterskins fumble, some fans are saying, 'See ya'
Team official disputes decline in loyalty, citing economy, lack of 'compelling' matchups
By Steve Hendrix
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, October 26, 2009

Dave Hoskins did something a week ago he had never done in eight years of going to taterskins games: He didn't go to the taterskins game.

A self-proclaimed team "addict" for 30 years and part of a season-ticket group since 2001, the Bethesda contractor woke up Sunday, looked at the likely poor weather and the likely worse game and just bagged it.

"Last weekend was the first weekend I decided to do something else," he said. "I watched most of it on TV, but I wasn't going to sit through that misery."

In most cities, a few thousand fans skipping NFL games during a bad season wouldn't be remarkable. But in Washington, the empty seats reported recently at FedEx Field have raised a question long unthinkable in taterskins Nation: Are significant cracks appearing in one of professional football's most rock-solid fan bases?

Officially, attendance at home games had fallen from 87,780 at the home opener to 79,572 at last week's loss to Kansas City. Unofficially, many fans have reported a no-show rate that would suggest the falloff has been even greater.

There are other signs that as some Washingtonians stand by their floundering team, which is 2-4 in regular-season play, others are standing a little farther downwind. Nielsen ratings show that the average TV viewership of game broadcasts for the first six weeks of this season has dropped by about 120,000 households from the same period last year.

And the national market for burgundy and gold jerseys, banners and hats has plummeted, down 47 percent in the past month compared with the same period last year, according to sales data.

"This is something new," said Matt Powell, chief retail analyst for SportsOne Source, an industry research firm. At least as judged by the merchandise sales index, he said, "nationally, the fan base is clearly abandoning this team."

David Donovan, the taterskins' chief operating officer, disputed Powell's analysis, saying that team records show a 12 percent dip in merchandise sales, which he said was understandable in a down economy.

Donovan also said that the team hasn't detected a significant decline in fan loyalty and that the team's attendance figures are accurately gathered by bar-code scanners at the turnstiles.

"I think the relentless negative coverage in The Washington Post is a real difference from previous years," Donovan said. "But in terms of the way our actual fans are behaving, we don't see any difference." (SHF comment: Are you effing kidding me Donovan? Really, are you out of your mind? Do you not hear/see how upset the fan base is?)

Game attendance is still far surpassing that at any other stadium in the league, (SHF comment: No duh, look how big the damn stadium is) he said, and he attributed the lower TV ratings largely to the unglamorous opponents the taterskins have faced in the first part of the season.

"Last year, we had the Giants, the Cowboys and the Eagles in the first five, and they were all away games," he said. "This year, you had the Giants but then five other teams that were not that compelling."

General_Failure

Quote from: ATV on October 26, 2009, 04:20:32 PM
So that would be pretty embarrassing if the Eagles lost tonight. Even though I hardly care I'd have to seriously consider doing some pointing and laughing.

As would most of the nation.

The man. The myth. The legend.

methdeez

QuoteDave Hoskins did something a week ago he had never done in eight years of going to taterskins games: He didn't go to the taterskins game.
I cannot believe that this person is a professional writer.

PhillyPhreak54

Sgt PSN

PhillyPhreak54

lol at ESPN interviewing 70 year old women in a bingo hall about Sherman Lewis. If I were a taterskin fan and had to watch that shtein, I'd kill myself.

Think about the Eagles pulling a stunt like that.

Sgt PSN

and one of them didn't even know his name. 

ironically though, i would totally be in favor of lewis calling plays instead of reid. 

PhillyPhreak54

Rumor on ES that Cooley has a broken foot.

Dye your hair to look like that, break your foot

BigEd76

So after the bye next week, they have:

at Atlanta
Denver
at Dallas
at Philly
New Orleans
at Oakland
NY Giants
Dallas
at San Diego

They might win one game the rest of the year...