2009 Point and Laugh at the taterskins thread

Started by Diomedes, January 26, 2009, 10:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

QuoteRe: Any Other Season Ticket Holders Not Renewing?
Why should anybody not renew? We are turning this mother around!
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Eagaholic

pretty good summation per pft

QuoteShanahan has final say in Washington
Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2010 8:54 PM ET
When Bruce Allen became the new General Manager of the Washington taterskins, owner Daniel Snyder proclaimed that Allen "has the authority."

"When we, when he, when the club makes a decision, it's a taterskins decision," Snyder said.

Folks who had been tracking the Shanahan rumors knew better.

Less than three weeks later, there's a new sheriff in town, and coach Mike Shanahan has the authority that Allen possessed on a short-term basis, like a library book.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that, in addition to coaching the team, Shanahan will serve as executive Vice President of football operations.  That's the same title Vinny Cerrato most recently held.

Schefter also reports that Shanahan, not Allen, now has the "ultimate authority" over football decisions.

And so the clumsily-kept secret is now out in the open.  By all appearances, Shanahan and Allen were a package deal, with Allen coming through the door first and pretending to be in charge until Shanahan was hired.

Meanwhile, the taterskins interviewed no one else after the firing of Jim Zorn, turning the Rooney Rule upside down and creating a horrible precedent for its application in the future.

But, hey, the taterskins got the guy they coveted.  The guy whose Broncos went 8-8 in 2008, just like the taterskins did.  The guy whose Broncos went 7-9 in 2007, two games worse than the taterskins.

The guy who has won only one playoff game in the eleven years since winning a second straight Super Bowl with a team built largely by someone else, and held together in part by proven salary-cap violations for which the Broncos were fined nearly $2 million and stripped of two third-round draft picks.

So now that the taterskins got the guy they coveted, can someone explain to us why in the hell they coveted him?

The BIGSTUD

Isn't Shanahan part cherokee?

I think it's pretty cool the color of his skin will match the color of their uniforms.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 05, 2010, 10:06:59 PM
He's overrated. I've always thought he was deserving of that tag because as a GM he's terrible and those SBs were because of Elway and Terrell Davis. He hasn't won shtein since.

14 years in denver two losing seasons and two superbowls

totally overrated

if you wanna say he wont make the taterskins better fine...every job is different and not everyone does the same thing in each place they go

but its absolutely laughable to call him overrated

if hes overrrated with his track record who isnt overrated...

bill belichek?...or is he overrated as well because he has tom brady?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

Let's also remember that IGY could have been named the head coach and it would be an improvement over what they had (AND HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A SEAM ROUTE IS Please ban me, ohmygodohmygod!). So there's a lot of room between 'improvement' and 'championship caliber'.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Seabiscuit36

If Andy Reid wins 2 sb's is he better than Shannahan?
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

i'll ride my unicorn to his HOF induction ceremony
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

reese125

f the superbowls Shanahan had with John Elway (are you kidding me....1998). Times have changed, the game has changed, but unfortunately for Shanahan his philosophy wont change

this dude has been notoriously crushed in the media for his huge mismanagement of draft picks, crazy ass FA signings and trades. Like Phreak said, its the reason the Broncos havent done squat since Elway. If the taterskins want to continue with that trend...by all means go for it.

What good is a bunch of winning seasons if you cant get or do shtein in the playoffs..but yet your nickname is the "Mastermind"?

Seabiscuit36

LOL, i want to see another Maurice Clarett in the 3rd round Shanny
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

paco

Quote from: reese125 on January 06, 2010, 09:23:12 AM
this dude has been notoriously crushed in the media for his huge mismanagement of draft picks, crazy ass FA signings and trades.
In other words, he is perfect for DC
I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

Tomahawk

Quote from: General_Failure on January 05, 2010, 10:39:41 PM
Isn't this the guy that dumped Clinton Portis? That should lead to a few minutes of entertainment.

I wouldn't call trading Portis for Champ Bailey "dumping" But, yes, hopefully Portis holds a grudge.

reese125

speaking of Portis...cute gem he dropped about his quarterback:

Clinton Portis went about rehashing the past on a Washington D.C. radio station, including his thoughts on quarterback Jason Campbell's leadership skills. Asked on ESPN980 why Campbell was a team captain and he wasn't, Portis replied: "I wonder the same thing. It's no disrespect to Jason, but everybody in that locker room will tell you - you will never see Jason mad, you will never see Jason's tempo change. ... (He's) going to give you everything (he's) got. But as a leader ... it was always, 'Jason couldn't take control of the huddle,' or 'He didn't do this' or 'He didn't do that.' That wasn't Jason's character. ... I think Jason, you can't place so much on somebody who's not ready for that situation. I think Jason has enough trouble in getting the plays in and worrying about this, compared to controlling the huddle." Portis also added that Campbell wouldn't make suggestions on plays or stand up for the players in meetings with coaches.

Drunkmasterflex

I would take Shannahan in a heart beat over Reid. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Seabiscuit36

In game, easily Shannahan over Reid.  Reid as GM over Shannahan all day