The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Sometimes I really hate Florida...

Diomedes

Honestly, I have no idea why anybody would ever want to be in Florida at all ever anyway like what the farg it's hot and humid and they're farging alligators all over the place and people think that's a place to go if you're running from the law and old people?

Sounds like farging hell
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

From November until April, it's pretty nice.

My parents moved here during the recession of '91 due to my father's trucking business tanking in PA. I was in college then and moved down after graduation due to the lack of teaching jobs in PA.

Of course, I have no excuse for the remaining 29 years!  :D

General_Failure

Up until Covid it was fairly cheap to live there compared to a lot of places. Now nothing's cheap anywhere, so there's no upside.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

When the highest praise for an area is that it's cheap to survive there...pass.  I'll find money somehow so I don't have to live there.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Milton is spinning up.

CF Floridians...be careful and gtfo if you have to

Geowhizzer

School is already canceled through at least Thursday.  Will go up tomorrow to batten down the classroom.

My wife and I spent some money last summer hurricane-prepping the house.  Have easy-close shutters and a generator.  Roof was replaced two years ago.  Also, not living on the water helps, as storm surge is not as much of a concern.

We'll hunker down unless the cone shifts further south.  Right now, the center is Sarasota (about 100 miles north).

Oh, and my MAGA niece-in-law has completely bought the theory about Harris and the Democrats seeding the storms.  :crazy

MDS

tell her you know a jew and he specifically planned it out to hit her
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Jesus Christ...this is horrifying

https://twitter.com/nbergwx/status/1843444771135861007 46&t=Uib2YOn6CJgx-z2RaE9o7Q

Geowhizzer

As of now, Naples is not in the cone.  The consensus models have it hitting just north of Sarasota/Bradenton.  If that holds, I could get some tropical storm-force winds and a lot of rain but will be spared the damage others will be facing.

The local meteorologist says it should encounter wind shear as it nears landfall, which could possibly knock it down to a Cat-3 as it makes landfall.

Pretty much anyone living west of US-41 (aka the Tamiami Trail) in a Gulf Coast county is under mandatory evacuation as of tomorrow.  The main issue for counties not directly hit will be storm surge and the rain totals on land that is already waterlogged from a massive amount of summer rainfall and the storm last week.  A lot of people in my area already have flood damage from Helene.

Anyone in the direct path, though, will also see wind damage.  And if that wind shear doesn't happen, it will be devastating.

https://twitter.com/MattDevittWX/status/1843440340155457771

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah shear seems to be the only hope. For it to have all that time over the hot ass gulf and for its eye to be so small it's a tightly wound Sonofabitch.

Hoping it gets that shear. Because this "This hurricane is nearing the mathematical limit of what Earth's atmosphere over this ocean water can produce." is farging scary.

And if people don't evacuate they may as well do the whole write your name and SSN on your limbs and torso in sharpie deal.

Geowhizzer

My house and family are fine.  Not even as bad as I expected to get - mostly a bit of wind and rain.

The coast is flooding, but the wind and rain is mainly staying to the north side of the storm.

The eye hit Siesta Key and Sarasota, which is a bit over 100 miles north of me.

Tropicana Field took a beating in St. Petersburg:

https://twitter.com/PageWebber/status/1844211375729754433

Diomedes

MDS

cant believe the jews sent their hurricane machine to a good democratic house
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Glad you guys are okay, Geo.

My mom is down Delaware and sent me pics of the northern lights out of the bay.

Local weather dude here says we may be able to see them too