Eagles vs. Cardinals - NFC Championship game

Started by SD_Eagle5, January 11, 2009, 04:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteCards want redemption against Eagles

By Denny Seitz

For The Inquirer
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - They tried to temper their enthusiasm, but members of the Arizona Cardinals were giddy about the possibility they could host the NFC championship game after their lopsided win against the Carolina Panthers on Saturday.

A chance to play at home wasn't the only reason the Cardinals were rooting for the Eagles in yesterday's NFC divisional playoff game between the Eagles and the New York Giants, though.

Redemption was a much bigger motivator.

"I want the home-field advantage," said defensive end Antonio Smith, whose sack and subsequent fumble recovery in the first quarter of Saturday's game helped jump-start the Cardinals' defensive domination against Carolina. "But I don't want the home-field advantage just because we can play at home. I want it more because of the way we played the last time we played the Eagles.

"I want to play the Eagles."

Smith and his teammates got their wish when the Eagles downed the Giants, 23-11, setting up an unlikely No. 4 vs. No. 6 matchup. The fourth-seeded Cardinals needed an Eagles victory to get home-field advantage.

Now that they have it, they insist they won't forget the Nov. 27 debacle, when the Eagles pounded them, 48-20, in front of a national-television audience on Thanksgiving Day.

In that game, the Eagles stomped the Cardinals' defense, piling up 437 yards, 32 first downs and converting 10 of 15 third downs while controlling the ball for nearly 40 minutes.

"You try to forget games like that," said cornerback Ralph Brown, who had one of five interceptions against the Panthers on Saturday. "But sometimes it's good to remember."

What does Brown remember about the first meeting between the teams?

"They kicked our butts," Brown said. "That's the nice way to say it. I could use other words, but you wouldn't be able to put them in your newspaper. We couldn't stop the run. We couldn't stop the pass. When we covered their receivers, Donovan McNabb ran for first downs. Mentally, they came to play that day and we didn't. They had passion and conviction. We didn't."

Four days before that game, McNabb had been yanked from a 36-7 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. If the Baltimore game served as a wake-up call to the Eagles, Brown says the whipping his team took four days later may have been a similar spark for the Cardinals.

"You need that wake-up call," Brown said. "We went into that game on a high. We were drinking that special Kool-Aid, feeling good about ourselves, thinking we were better than we were. Then, they came in and showed us. Now it's our turn."

PoopyfaceMcGee

The BIGSTUD

The Giants wanted redemption too. Revenge doesn't mean anything if you are better than them, and the Eagles are the superior team right now.

Get pressure on Warner and they are done. The dude fumbles more than Tiki as a young buck.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

phillycrew

No Spach for the Cards against the Birds.  Looks like Pope will be their TE.

Butchers Bill

The Cards defense stinks.  The Vikings and Giants hung more than 35 on them AT HOME since November.  This game will be closer than the T-Day game, but not by much.
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

reese125

Quote from: phillycrew on January 12, 2009, 04:05:21 PM
No Spach for the Cards against the Birds.  Looks like Pope will be their TE.

Pope was out there last week...plus a reporter asked one of the coaches at halftime if they were going to utilize their TE in the second half and Wisenhunt said, "Huh...whats a tight end?"

CardTrader

Quote from: Butchers Bill on January 12, 2009, 04:07:25 PM
The Cards defense stinks.  The Vikings and Giants hung more than 35 on them AT HOME since November.  This game will be closer than the T-Day game, but not by much.

Regular season != playoffs.

I'm sure if you beat the Cardinals and the Ravens beat the Steelers you'll feel that you have no shot too, right?

phillymic2000

Quote from: CardTrader on January 12, 2009, 04:11:39 PM

Regular season != playoffs.

I'm sure if you beat the Cardinals and the Ravens beat the Steelers you'll feel that you have no shot too, right?

I'm starting to think IGY was CT in a former posting life.

BigEd76

CardTrader

CardTrader

The Cards defense stinks. 

This just in:  The Cards can't run the ball and can't win on the road or the East Coast.

Oh wait...

phillymic2000

Quote from: CardTrader on January 12, 2009, 04:23:12 PM

This just in:  The Cards can't run the ball and can't win on the road or the East Coast.

Oh wait...

Congrats, you made it to the NFC Championship game, act like you've been here in the past 50 yrs.

Oh wait.....

CardTrader

Quote from: phillymic2000 on January 12, 2009, 04:30:45 PM
Quote from: CardTrader on January 12, 2009, 04:23:12 PM

Oh wait...

Congrats, you made it to the NFC Championship game, act like you've been here in the past 50 yrs.

Oh wait.....

Hopefully this is the first of many failed trips to the NFC Championship game, like another team I know.