SuperBowl XLII-Patriots vs Giants

Started by reese125, January 29, 2008, 11:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

the guy who hasn't watched a game since 1982 is telling people how to be a fan?  awesome
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 05, 2008, 07:52:26 PM
but to root for a team not from your hometown makes you a horrible person

Why?  I mean, I get it if your family is from Philly and you grow up in Philly but like the Cowboys instead of the Eagles.  But if you're in a position like Demon who hasn't lived in Philly since the Constitution was signed and wasn't a fan of hockey when he lived there, but got turned onto hockey when he moved to St Louis, then why is he somehow obligated to be a Flyers fan?  Maybe it was a certain player or players on the Blues that he started to follow and that's what got him into it in the first place. 

I was born and raised 20 minutes from the Vet.  I grew up on Philly sports and love the Eagles and Phils.  I'm a Sixers fan but I don't hold them in the same regard as I do the Eagles or Phils.  I hate hockey but if the Flyers are good, I'll root for them and maybe even watch. 

But I haven't lived in Philly for almost 15 years now and as it stands, I have no intentions of moving back.  I'm in KC, love it here and even though I'll probably move again, I plan on coming back when I retire in a few years.  This is my home and there's rumblings that KC could possibly get an NBA franchise either from NO or Seattle.  Should one of those teams move here I'll probably get season tickets (or at the very least, attend a bunch of home games) because they will be representing a city I love living in and I'll have a lot of fun cheering for them.  So what?  Am I not allowed to love the city I live in and the one I'm from at the same time? 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on February 05, 2008, 08:46:11 PM
Boasting America because you were born there isn't half so compelling as boasting it as a chosen citizen.  I chose the Eagles because I happen to be most righteous in all affairs, and justly aligned myself with them.

many of you born Philadelphians are just knee-jerk fans, and especially those of you who claim some kind of primacy for the accident of your birth.

I'm basically talking to a wall by responding to you on this one but I don't see a problem with taking pride in where you were born, especially if it's a place worth taking pride in.  I think Philly's a great city and the US is (for the most part) a great country and I'm proud of both.  I also don't see a problem with not liking the place you were born and do agree that there shouldn't be an "obligation" to be proud of it if you don't like it simply because that's where your mom was when she happened to squeeze you out.

In other words, to each his own.   

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MDS on February 05, 2008, 08:24:09 PM
So would Die Hard and Feva be the biggest Commies of all for liking both the Eagles and the Mets?

Feva is not from the Philly area at all (Buffalo or some shtein), and Die-Hard is one of those special Jersey people that can't make up his mind which city to love more.

Feva

Di-Hard, Dillen, Dio, Demon, Rome... I call out to you!

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

rjs246

Talking about what a 'real fan' is, or who is a 'better' fan makes my farging eyes bleed. You're all farging idiots. Let's just leave it at that.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

I'm a bigger idiot than you because I live in the south and you live in Boston.

I win!

ice grillin you

So would Die Hard and Feva be the biggest Commies of all for liking both the Eagles and the Mets?

only thing worse would be if they were ny giant and eagle fans

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

Feva

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 06, 2008, 08:45:04 AM

only thing worse would be if they were ny giant and eagle fans

Well... that Eli is kinda dreamy, isn't he?
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

shorebird

Quote from: SunMo on February 05, 2008, 12:18:20 PM
yeah, everyone "hates" the division rivals to different degrees...but nobody with a set of balls would root for them in the farging Super Bowl...that's the farging point

Who said anyone was rooting for the Giants? No one. I just wanted to see the Pats lose more. 

Look at what the Giants did. They beat what everyone was saying was the best team ever. EVER!! The best qb, the best wr, the best coach, the best orginization, the best of everything.  And they did in historical fashion. They did it in a game that will go down in history as one of the greatest ever played.

It was the best Superbowl I've ever seen, and it's only the flaming, fanatical homer in you all who can't look at what the Giants did and respect them. I'm not talking becoming a Giants fan or about thier fans and what your poor little selves will have to listen too all offseason. I'm talking about a team that did all year what no one at all thought they would do, about proving every single one of us and the media wrong. I'm talking about what was a great friggen' game.

If it was the taterskins, I would feel different. Anyone with half a brain knows that Washington fans are the absolute worse fans in any sport. I don't like them from the owner right on down to the iceholes in the parking lot tailgating.

Hate meter:

taterskins

Cowboys
Giants

Quote from: MDS on February 05, 2008, 09:48:34 AM
the truth. these people deserve nothing but terrorist attacks and tsunamis. farg them.

Real nice. How the hell can anyone joke about that crap? Pitiful.

SunMo

Quote from: shorebird on February 06, 2008, 10:23:00 AM

Who said anyone was rooting for the Giants? No one. I just wanted to see the Pats lose more. 

yeah, well, if you want the pats to lose, that means you have to want the Giants to win...it's not that difficult to follow the logic

one team loses, the other wins

and go cry about mean jokes somewhere else
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

shorebird

ice grillin you

i can say with much confidence that sun is the second least homer on the board