igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phattymatty

SD_Eagle5

Deep draft for RBs
QuotePaul Domowitch: Running backs abound in this draft
by Paul Domowitch
Philadelphia Daily News

THE NFL will release the list of underclassmen who will be eligible for the April draft tomorrow. There are expected to be about 50 players on the early-entry list, including as many as 15 potential first-rounders.
Last year, 13 juniors were taken in the first round, eight in the first 17 selections.

No position is getting a bigger boost from the infusion of underclassmen this year than running back.

"Running back just went from the first floor to the penthouse as far as quality," one NFC player-personnel man said.

"The juniors have made the running back position the best position in the draft," a scout for an AFC team said. "Until now, it was one of the worst."

As many as 10 running backs could go in the first two rounds of the draft, including eight underclassmen. Topping the list is Arkansas junior Darren McFadden, who could be the first player taken.

Three other juniors who have been pegged as likely first-rounders by scouts are Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall and McFadden's backup at Arkansas, Felix Jones.

The only senior running back who figures to go in the first round is Chris Johnson, of East Carolina. Just one other senior, Mike Hart, of Michigan, is projected as a second-rounder.

But four other juniors - Ray Rice, of Rutgers; Conwell-Egan product Steve Slaton, of West Virginia; Jamaal Charles, of Texas; and Kevin Smith, of Central Florida - are projected as second-rounders at this point.

Another position getting a big boost from the early entries is wide receiver. As many as eight junior wideouts could go in the first two rounds, including three in the first – Malcolm Kelly, of Oklahoma; Mario Manningham, of Michigan; and Devin Thomas, of Michigan State.

"Thomas is kind of a 1-year wonder," a scout said. "But the more you watch him [on tape], he may be the most talented kid on the whole offensive side of the draft."

"This is one of the deepest junior classes I've seen," said the NFC personnel man.

"You're talking nine [junior] running backs who could be first-, second- or third-round picks. And all of those wide receivers.

"What it's done is taken the two positions in this draft that were totally bereft of talent and replenished them."

I can't remember the last time there was this much talent at RB coming out. I like it when drafts are deep at one position cause teams will reach and other players will drop because that position is hogging up the picks.

Zanshin

It'll be interesting to see a couple of things based on that-- who in a position of need (not RB) might drop to the Eagles because of the newfound RB glut, and which big name RB drops because of the volume.

reese125

QuoteConwell-Egan product Steve Slaton, of West Virginia

I still cant believe any NFL product came out my high school (actually it was Egan just before they merged)....and I still grin when I see that school name. Seriously, football was the biggest joke there for some very very long years.

Good for him.

PoopyfaceMcGee

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: reese125 on January 18, 2008, 09:39:52 AM

I still cant believe any NFL product came out my high school (actually it was Egan just before they merged)....and I still grin when I see that school name. Seriously, football was the biggest joke there for some very very long years.

Good for him.

My cousin played in the same backfield with him in the All star game

My cousin > You

reese125

Quote from: FastFreddie on January 18, 2008, 09:55:58 AM
Good for you, champ.

I'm sure as hell not giving myself a golf clap comment boy...he's a young buck and barely knew about the kid until his junior year. Just the school name is odd so

BigEd76

Quote from: Zanshin on January 18, 2008, 08:49:05 AM
It'll be interesting to see a couple of things based on that-- who in a position of need (not RB) might drop to the Eagles because of the newfound RB glut, and which big name RB drops because of the volume.

NFL Draft Countdown's top 10 RBs: (all juniors except Johnson)

1 = Darren McFadden
2 = Jonathan Stewart
3 = Rashard Mendenhall
4 = Felix Jones
5 = Chris Johnson
6 = James Davis
7 = Ray Rice
8 = Jamaal Charles
9 = Kevin Smith
10 = Steve Slaton

PoopyfaceMcGee

Drafting a running back this year might be more infuriating than an offensive lineman.

paco

Quote from: reese125 on January 18, 2008, 09:39:52 AM

Good for him.

Dan Koppen went to my high school (was a year or two behind me), so I get to hear/read about him every time Im in the area, lately.   I swear, on the front page of the local paper's sports section, there was an article about how he plays Backgammon with Brady on a regular basis.  Oh, and the pranks they pull.  What a stitch.
I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Lee Iacocca was from Allentown!

SunMo

Jamie Moyer was from Souderton!
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.