07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smeags

Quote from: FastFreddie on January 25, 2008, 02:08:39 PM
Similarly to the Phillies, the Cowboys waiting until the postseason to collapse in ugly fashion.

a harsh reality sir.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

PoopyfaceMcGee

Well, it wasn't harsh that the Cowboys collapsed.  I rather enjoyed that.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

PhillyPhreak54

Some of Howard's bargaining power just went down the shteinter with Morneau accepting 6/80 from Minny. Howard's better, but now that gives the Phils some ground to hold onto while Pat Gillick's got his fingers in his ears and his tongue sticking out and while Ruben Amaro threatens to kill people.

Either way, and arguing about it is stupid, Howard needs to get paid. It is the Phillies job to get a deal done not only to satisfy him but to hold down the fan base too. If they let him leave or allow him to become too disgruntled then its a major disservice to the team, who is ready to win, and the fans.

The Phillies didn't leave Howard in the minors. Ed Wade left him there. Until he had no choice but to call him up. Remember the west coast trip when they had to play the AL and needed a DH and fargbag Eddie left Howard down on the farm.

Ed Wade tried everything imaginable to farg him up. To include trying to trade him for Ted farging Lilly and Kip goddamn Wells.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 26, 2008, 12:19:52 AM
The Phillies didn't leave Howard in the minors. Ed Wade left him there.

say wha?

ed wade was the phillies...you think howard or anyone else for that matter differentiates the two and gives the franchise a pass because they employed a terrible gm?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

I think he meant the current regime, IGY.  Wade did a lot of stupid shtein in his day and although technically the franchise has to be held accountable for what he did, it's really not Gillick's or Amaro' Jr.'s fault.

In other words if he's holding a grudge for being held up in the minor's his beef isn't with the current guys.

I don't necessarily agree with that, though.  Just saying that's what Jay meant.

Sgt PSN

Some of Howard's bargaining power just went down the shteinter with Morneau accepting 6/80 from Minny. Howard's better, but now that gives the Phils some ground to hold onto while Pat Gillick's got his fingers in his ears and his tongue sticking out and while Ruben Amaro threatens to kill people.

You could also argue though that the contract the Rockies just gave to Tulowiski (sp?) would give Howard plenty of bargaining power too though. 

Rome

Tulowitzsky's deal wouldn't influence Howard's situation at all.

Apples/oranges.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 26, 2008, 09:20:32 AM

say wha?

ed wade was the phillies...you think howard or anyone else for that matter differentiates the two and gives the franchise a pass because they employed a terrible gm?

Romey's right in knowing what I was saying. I hold Wade responsible for holding him down in the minors so long. It was solely his decision to do that.

Now if Monty and Co. use Wade's terrible decision making to hold that against Howard and not pay him, thats on them totally. He's worth the money and he should be given the extension.

But Howard has to give a little too. But its up to the Phillies to handle this the right way and just farging get something done. But like always, they will farg it up.

ice grillin you

oh my bad...i see what youre saying but i also think that howard doesnt care who or why he was held back...just that the team hes trying to get paid from did it and he wants to make up for it...
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

And you consider that "reasonable" thinking at the bargaining table?

Cause were I come from I call that being a vengeful whiny icehole.

Lets just clear this up now.

Howard deserves to get paid big time, and deserves a long term deal.
The Phillies to need to pay him big money and keep him here for life
Howard probably does not deserve the amount of money he's supposedly asking for in the long term, and this whole "7 million, no I  want 10 million" crap is disgusting. 7 Million is 7 million, take the farging money.
And Phillies, be willing to compromise, thrown 8 or 8.5 at him if you need to. Stop being little tight wads.

There. Howard's a bitch. The Phillies are iceholes. The sports world is as it always is. Whiny players and icehole owners.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 26, 2008, 05:57:40 PM
oh my bad...i see what youre saying but i also think that howard doesnt care who or why he was held back...just that the team hes trying to get paid from did it and he wants to make up for it...

I agree with that. He just wants to get paid. And he deserves it.

This braindead FO is too busy trying to match exactly what the Cards did for Pujols. farg that. Recognize that you have one of the best players in the game and get a deal done.

David Montgomery and the rest of those bitchass people need to be shoved off the Whitman

dis12

not quite Phillies but, Leiberthal retires:
QuoteJust before playing soccer for the first time in his life earlier today in a charity celebrity game hosted by Nomar Garciaparra and Mia Hamm, former Dodgers backup catcher Mike Lieberthal, a two-time All-Star while with Philadephia and a graduate of Westlake High School, said he has decided to retire. Lieberthal made the decision in October, when it became clear the Dodgers wouldn't pick up his $1.5 million contract option for this season.
``If they would have picked up my option, I probably would have played one more year,'' Lieberthal said. ``But I didn't want to go anywhere else. ... I'm totally in a very happy place now.''
Lieberthal said he would like to stay in the game in some capacity, possibly in broadcasting, but that he has no desire to coach because it would require him to start again in the low minors and work his way up.
Lieberthal, who turned 36 last week, spent 14 seasons in the majors, mostly as the starting catcher for the Phillies. He spent just one season with the Dodgers, signing last winter to be Russell Martin's backup, and wound up playing in just 38 games while hitting .234 with one RBI. This was one of the truly good guys in the game, and he'll be missed -- although he did say he plans to attend a handful of Dodgers games this season.

C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 26, 2008, 03:25:39 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on January 26, 2008, 09:20:32 AM

say wha?

Romey's right in knowing what I was saying. I hold Wade responsible for holding him down in the minors so long. It was solely his decision to do that.

Now if Monty and Co. use Wade's terrible decision making to hold that against Howard and not pay him, thats on them totally. He's worth the money and he should be given the extension.

But Howard has to give a little too. But its up to the Phillies to handle this the right way and just farging get something done. But like always, they will farg it up.

100% agreement wood.

Geowhizzer

Is there a link to a story that says Howard is looking for A-Rod type money?  The only place I've seen this is IGY. 

If so, that is absurd.  Howard's been great, but not at an A-Rod level. 

If they can't make a multi-year agreement this year, hopefully they can at least split the difference (8-9 mil) and avoid arbitration.  Otherwise the situation could get ugly fast.  I would agree that a deal should be beyond Pujols.

Of course, this is the Phillies...