07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smeags

i'm not talking about 2011, i'm talking about what the phils could've done "this" year to avoid arbitration with howard. it's not like he can hold out, the arbitrator will make his/her decision and that's it. the point is they could've avoided it. they offered $7mil, he wants $10mil - up the offer to $8.5mil - more than puljos got. the organization looks good and if howard rejects it in favor of going to arbitration he's the one that looks greedy.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

Quote from: FastFreddie on January 25, 2008, 10:57:03 AM
IGY would pay higher ticket prices if they'd increase their payroll.  He's the wrong person to make that argument to.

of course i would...wouldnt any fan that can afford it?

everyone should want their team to do all that is possible to win a title...and if that includes spending money and subsequently raising ticket prices to pay for it then so be it

and wing stop throwing out the red herring by dropping a-rods name...howard is not asking for nor is he getting anything close to a-rods deal...thats something im sure someone within the phils organization put out there and then people like stark print it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

How about addressing the issue of what do you do in 2011 and 2012, when the entire core of your team is set to hit the $20-25M/yr mark? They are not going to give that to all four of them.

Of the four...Rollins, Utley, Howard, Hamels

Which would you chose if you could only keep 1?
....if you could only keep 2?
....if you could only keep 3?

That's what it is going to come down to.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

smeags

Quote from: Wingspan on January 25, 2008, 11:28:28 AM
How about addressing the issue of what do you do in 2011 and 2012, when the entire core of your team is set to hit the $20-25M/yr mark? They are not going to give that to all four of them.

Of the four...Rollins, Utley, Howard, Hamels

Which would you chose if you could only keep 1?
....if you could only keep 2?
....if you could only keep 3?

That's what it is going to come down to.

why ? it's 2008 and the subject at hand is howard going to arbitration. this subject has absolutely no baring on this team at this point.

ice grillin you

i dont give a shtein about 2012...any or all of those guys could be traded by then have blown out an elbow or knee...or just plain suck...hell the team could be sold by then...a lot can happen in four years...what might happen four years from now should be of no concern to the phillies and if it is they are worse humans than i originally thought

Wingspan

Well by that logic of not caring about what happens in 2001/2012...there's no reason to pay $1 more than they have to keep Howard. He's a phillie regardless.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

perhaps...and thats their perogative...just as its howards to ask for a 120 million dollar contract

however the phillies have other things to worry about...a disgruntled star player...a disgruntled locker room in whole...a pissed off fan base...a bad reputation with players around the league...but absolutely the phillies can play hardball for the next four years if they choose

PoopyfaceMcGee

They're the only team in Philly that made the playoffs in their most recent season.  GO PHILLIES!

rjs246

'Athletes' deserve more money. Deserve.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

Quote from: sean_sec227 on January 25, 2008, 11:00:30 AM
i'm not talking about 2011, i'm talking about what the phils could've done "this" year to avoid arbitration with howard. it's not like he can hold out, the arbitrator will make his/her decision and that's it. the point is they could've avoided it. they offered $7mil, he wants $10mil - up the offer to $8.5mil - more than puljos got. the organization looks good and if howard rejects it in favor of going to arbitration he's the one that looks greedy.

They can still avoid arbitration.  All they need to do is arrive at a mutually agreeable deal, sean, but it takes two to tango.

The Phillies are the ones seeming reasonable here, not Howard.  In fact, he's sounding more and more like a greedy douchebag, especially when you start hearing words like "A-Rod Money" evidently coming from their side.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: rjs246 on January 25, 2008, 12:40:31 PM
'Athletes' deserve more money. Deserve.

Your mom deserves more money.

smeags

Quote from: Wingspan on January 25, 2008, 11:49:29 AM
Well by that logic of not caring about what happens in 2001/2012...there's no reason to pay $1 more than they have to keep Howard. He's a phillie regardless.

ICY pretty much posted my response word for word.  8)

smeags

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on January 25, 2008, 12:43:03 PM
Quote from: sean_sec227 on January 25, 2008, 11:00:30 AM

They can still avoid arbitration.  All they need to do is arrive at a mutually agreeable deal, sean, but it takes two to tango.

The Phillies are the ones seeming reasonable here, not Howard.  In fact, he's sounding more and more like a greedy douchebag, especially when you start hearing words like "A-Rod Money" evidently coming from their side.

i know they can rome and my point is the gap is $3mil, well meet it half way and as a team up your offer by $1.5mil. again as i said, if howard still rejects it and starts tossing these ideas that he should crazy money then it's him that looks greedy. again, he's already shown that he's a bit of a crybaby. knowing that you better your offer and avoid bigger problems and at the same time look better to your fanbase.

right now it's the phillies that have the bad rep in this town, not the players. they have to put out the extra effort.

smeags

Quote from: FastFreddie on January 25, 2008, 12:37:32 PM
They're the only team in Philly that made the playoffs in their most recent season.  GO PHILLIES!

true, too bad the cowboys didnt have a monumental collapse like the mets did.  8)

PoopyfaceMcGee

Similarly to the Phillies, the Cowboys waiting until the postseason to collapse in ugly fashion.