Captains

Started by QB Eagles, September 11, 2007, 12:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Anyone else think that the sudden NFL interest in captaincy is kinda silly? This isn't hockey; a large coaching staff dictates virtually all of the strategy of the game, and is in constant communication with the players on the field. The traditional sports role of captain really doesn't exist. I guess you could just call it an honorary title for locker room leaders, but do teams really need that locker room politics officially recognized by the team to figure out who their leaders are? Plus, the captains' uniforms have that big obnoxious "C" on them.

And what happens when one of these captains winds up getting arrested? You can already see the stories about "C"s being taken away in disgrace.

As far as I can tell, the Eagles are not taking part in the initiative. Good. The 49ers did even better and named 10 captains. The NFL refused to allow all those "C"s on the field. Mike Nolan seems to like finding little ways to stick it to the man.

What's the whole point here? Is the NFL going to start selling those "C" patches on uniforms for $100 extra or something?

hbionic

I'm just waiting for the team sargees to be named.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Seabiscuit36

I really think the patch looks like a CFL patch.  Its kind of pathetic at this point to introduce that. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Eagles 3x

As distasteful as it is to me, I  gotta tip my hat to the giants team. They voted gap tooth a captain. Thats quite a statement. They basicly flipped the bird to the front office and coaching staff.
member since Aug. 21, 03. I am the KING of the Lurking Bastiches!!

Sgt PSN

Magical_Retard

i do not get the explanation either. it was mentioned that it was done to better identify for the younger players who the team leaders were and who to go to in times of need or advice. wtf? why do they treat these players like they are babies just coming out of the womb? you have to dumb as bricks to not know who the team leaders are and who your supposed to go to or can go to in times of need. the big C patch solves that? maybe all chris henry needed was to see that on palmer.
Marge: I have someone who can help you!
Homer: Is it BATMAN!!??
Marge: No hes a scientist
Homer: Batman is a scientist.
Marge: Its not BATMAN!

MDS

Neil Rackers is a captain. He's a farging kicker.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Cerevant

Isn't there some rule in the NHL that only the Captain or Alternate can speak to the officials?  If that were the case in the NFL, then I'd wouldn't have a problem with it.  Since it isn't, that makes it a stupid marketing ploy for people to buy new versions of the jerseys they already have.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on September 11, 2007, 08:18:06 AM
I really think the patch looks like a CFL patch.  Its kind of pathetic at this point to introduce that. 

Couldn't agree more.   

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Cerevant on September 12, 2007, 09:27:48 AM
Isn't there some rule in the NHL that only the Captain or Alternate can speak to the officials?  If that were the case in the NFL, then I'd wouldn't have a problem with it.  Since it isn't, that makes it a stupid marketing ploy for people to buy new versions of the jerseys they already have.
You live in canada and don't know exactly how the Captain and Alternate system works?  ;)
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Cerevant

Well, I haven't applied for Citizenship yet, so I haven't had to take that test.

The depressing part is that my 2 year old is more interested in hockey than football.  Must be something in the water - but I did get my first "go Eagles" out of him on Sunday.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Cerevant on September 12, 2007, 10:18:25 AM
The depressing part is that my 2 year old is more interested in hockey than football. 

The only logical solution is to feed him to the wolves and make another.  Just try not to farg up next time.  ;)

Cerevant

Quote from: Sgt PSN on September 12, 2007, 10:29:02 AM
Quote from: Cerevant on September 12, 2007, 10:18:25 AM
The depressing part is that my 2 year old is more interested in hockey than football.

The only logical solution is to feed him to the wolves and make another.  Just try not to farg up next time.  ;)
Oh, so I should have been on top?

MadMarchHare

Quote from: MDS on September 11, 2007, 11:00:28 AM
Neil Rackers is a captain. He's a farging kicker.

He's also arguably the most effective player on their team.
Anyone but Reid.

MURP

Quote from: QB Eagles on September 11, 2007, 12:32:51 AM

What's the whole point here?

Quote from: Magical_Retard on September 11, 2007, 10:52:23 AM
i do not get the explanation either.

the reason is such...  college teams have captains to fulfill leadership rolls .... At the NFL level it was done to help promote leadership in the NFL.  it's that simple.  There is a lot of negativity going around with Pacman, Vick, Henry etc.  The NFL wants to try and promote positive role models on each team selected by the team. 

For one, I like it.