Around The NFL - 2007

Started by ice grillin you, August 10, 2007, 04:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Why not?  Everyone makes money, and that's the point.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Waaaaaahhhh
QuoteShula: Spygate would diminish a perfect Pats season
ESPN.com news services

Don Shula likes the Patriots' chances of going undefeated, but the Bill Belichick-inspired spying scandal has clouded Shula's thinking when comparing New England with his unbeaten 1972 Dolphins team.

"The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished," Shula said in an interview with the New York Daily News. "You would hate to have that attached to your accomplishments. They've got it."

Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Patriots were fined $250,000 and lost a first-round draft pick for videotaping the Jets' opposing sideline during the teams' season-opening game.

"That tells you the seriousness or significance of what they found," Shula said, according to the Daily News. "I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record.

"I guess it will be noted that the Patriots were fined and a No. 1 draft choice was taken away during that year of accomplishment. The sad thing is Tom Brady looks so good, it doesn't look like he needs any help."

The way the Patriots have been playing, Shula and the '72 Dolphins might find themselves answering more questions than in past years about whether their record will stand. New England improved to 9-0 on Sunday by beating the previously unbeaten Colts (7-1) in Indianapolis.

There have been serious runs made at the Dolphins' record before. The 1985 Bears started 12-0, then lost on a Monday night to a Dolphins team coached by Shula. The 1991 taterskins started 11-0 and the 1998 Broncos and 2005 Colts opened 13-0 before losing. Although members of the '72 Dolphins have become known for sipping champagne after the last unbeaten team falls by the wayside each season, Shula says stories of that annual celebration "have been blown out of proportion."

"You guys put forth the myth that we are pathetic losers down here clicking champagne glasses and clinging desperately to a record set 35 years ago," former Dolphins tight end Jim Mandich told the Daily News. "Somehow we've been portrayed as being evil. We don't ever blow our own horn. It's a great record, but the record doesn't get beaten.

"The Patriots have assembled a powerhouse of a team. They are a classy bunch of guys and play ball the right way. If they want to join the unbeaten club, come on aboard."

ice grillin you

if shula tries hard enough he can make belichek look like a good guy
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Feva

Is it just me or are people getting way out of hand with wanting to throw asterisks on everything?
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

SunMo

Quote from: EagleFeva on November 06, 2007, 06:10:35 PM
*Is it just me or are people getting way out of hand with wanting to throw asterisks on everything?

*minority poster
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Feva

The asterisk comes afterwards, dipshtein.

There are reports out there (One from CBSSportsline.com) that Larry Johnson is out for the season.

QuoteLarry Johnson, RB KC
News: According to a report from the TV station KDVR in Denver, Chiefs RB Larry Johnson is out for the season. The story said that a source within the Chiefs organization with direct knowledge of the situation has confirmed the injury. Johnson had suffered a mid-foot sprain in the fourth quarter of last Sunday's 33-22 loss to the Packers. However, the TV station has reported that Johnson has a broken bone in his foot. Kansas City coach Herm Edwards said Tuesday that Johnson would be highly questionable for Sunday's game against the Broncos, but Edwards declined to speculate on how long Johnson might be out, saying he did not have enough information.

Analysis: If the report is accurate, this would be terrible news for Johnson owners. Stay tuned to CBSSports.com for more information, but if you haven't done so already, put in your bid for Priest Holmes or even Kolby Smith. For now, don't plan on having Johnson available for Week 10 against Denver. This does not sound good.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

SunMo

who cares about that shtein...the real important news is here:

QuoteVikings | Team signs Detmer
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:23:16 -0800

The Minnesota Vikings announced they have signed free-agent QB Koy Detmer (Eagles) Tuesday, Nov. 6. Terms of the deal were not disclosed
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

hbionic

The return of neck beard. Sweet! :yay
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Sgt PSN

Neckbeard is one word.  Dummy. 

Sgt PSN

Is it just me or are people getting way out of hand with wanting to throw asterisks on everything?

I agree*.

* Denotes that I don't really agree.

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 06, 2007, 06:54:51 PM

I agree*.

* Denotes that I don't really agree.

I chuckled.  Jesus farg man, you appear to be learning.  Or I'm dumbing.  One or the other.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

Go me for picking up Priest Holmes in fantasy. Now the question is do I start him over Jesse Chatman?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

QB Eagles

Holmes is playing against a horrible run defense this week (Denver), but Herm Edwards has been making noise about platooning him with Kolby Smith.

Chatman is also playing against a worse-than-mediocre run defense (Buffalo) but is much more likely to get 15+ carries.

I'd go with Chatman.

Sgt PSN

Exactly.  Holmes hasn't played in 2 years because of a neck injury.  Does anyone really expect him to carry the ball 20+ times a game now?  Or ever again?