2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread - DIVISION CHAMPS MOTHER fargER!!!!

Started by SunMo, March 26, 2007, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

i originally was against the Myers to the bullpen move, but in hindsight it was a good move and he shouldn't be moved out when he gets healthy
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

myers to the pen was stupid then and its an even worse move now

in fact they have made this run without brett myers anywhere on the team...now with a gaping hole in the rotation its just rridiculous not to brign him back there....thats if he comes back at all this year healthy and stays that way....which imo is iffy at best
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

he was terrible as a starter this year, and very good as a closer...that's not even mentioning what the effect of going from starter to bullpen back to starter will have on him.  keep him where he is.

ice grillin you

its not about whether hes better as a closer...and we hardly know that anyway as hes been a closer for less than a month of his whole career

its about him being way better than any starter they can plug in where as hes only marginally better than alfonseca as a closer if hes better at all

also a lot of people say he got hurt precisely because he was moved to closer...so moving him back to his true position cant be more of a risk than having him close where hes already been hurt

i said this the other day and this is what its all about

myers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>kendrick

myers>>alfonseca

SunMo

i guess since they are making a run for the division again, you have to move Myers back, although i do see him as a career closer and i don't like moving him back just because of an injury.

Seabiscuit36

I'm with Sun, i like Myers in the Pen.  He's been dominant, and does not have to pace himself the same as he does when starting.  IGY is right on who would you rather have starting.  Its a sucky postion to be in but its one that Gillick created by being complacent. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

I questioned Myers' temperament as a closer from the get-go and I still think he's better off as a starter.

Myers has always been the kind of pitcher who seems to have one shaky-to-terrible inning as a starter but he's usually solid otherwise.  Putting him in a situation where that one lousy inning could come at any time as a closer seems risky to me.

Whatever, though.  Something tells me it's gonna be a while before he's a factor for the Phillies anyway.  After all, the initial diagnosis was nothing more than a "strain" and now it looks as though he'll be out at least a month.

Not good.

ice grillin you

if myers proves to not be a top end starter (spots 1-3 in the rotation) and you wanna move him to the closer role in the future i dont have a problem with that...i just havent given up on him as a starter yet...

if hes even a quality #3 starter for the next five years i take that over him being a closer...quality starters at any spot in the rotation are so hard to find...the phillies have developed two in the last what 25 years?...where as in any particular year you can can throw almost anyone in the closer role and get 35 saves out of them

just look at the phillies rotation next year if myers is in the pen...its unbelievably bad....wont matter whos the closer then

Rome

He's got the talent to be at least a solid #2 starter.  A lot more goes in to being a successful mlb pitcher than talent, though.

I thought he was on his way to becoming that guy last year.  Then they come up with this hair-brained scheme to move him to the bullpen.

They might have seriously farged up his career by pulling that shtein.  I'm not surprised because that's the kind of boneheaded move the Phillies are famous for, but if I were Myers, I might consider telling them to forget it when he's ready to return.

Seabiscuit36

Myers suggested the change back in Spring Training, Charlie laughed it off, then took him up on the offer. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

The Myers to the pen move (unfortunately) looks to be a permanent thing, I doubt we see him as a starter again. I'm basing this off of Cholly actions and Myers eagerness to be a closer.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Sgt PSN

Quote from: FastFreddie on June 14, 2007, 12:31:15 PM
Can't Hamels just start every other game?

Why?  So you can see the opposition hit more homers? 

All kidding aside, I think Hamels has more than shown to be mentally tough enough to handle being the future ace on this team.  He has a problem with giving up the long ball but it doesn't seem to shake him off his game.  He gave up the back-to-back-to-back homers against the Mets and then gave up 2 more in the first inning against the ChiSox and still nailed it down after that. 

McNabb should totally start hanging out with him. 

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

BigEd76

Andrews says no surgery is needed for Garcia...just rest for now.  Out indefinitely