2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread - DIVISION CHAMPS MOTHER fargER!!!!

Started by SunMo, March 26, 2007, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

he wasnt kidding...its sad too that a team that has come up so short the last five years has players uttering stuff like this...its just the overall team attitude lead by the manager of not caring whether they lose or not

last night in one inning rolling screwed up a double play ball then howard couldnt get a throw off to second to get the lead runner then rollins booted a ball...all within like five minutes...and what does rollins do...he just shrugged his shoulders then laughed it off to utley...it was disgusting and was a microcosim of this team over the last three years and why they will never win
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

I don't even blame Rollins for saying it.  I blame the Phillies for allowing a guy blessed with that sort of speed to completely ignore a segment of the game that could help them win.  How the farg can a guy not know how to bunt in the major leagues?  Even worse, how can a team allow its leadoff hitter to ignore it completely?

You wonder why they haven't won a ring in 27 years?  There's a good place to start for answers.

Wingspan

The Phils are the Arizona Cardinals of MLB. Why does anything other than winning surprise anyone when it comes to this team?
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyPhreak54

Um, he was joking. What the problem with saying that? Its obvious he knows how to bunt.

And I knew someone would make a comment about Rollins "laughing" it off. If you noticed he kicked the dirt afterwards. I swear only in Philly do smiles and chuckles get met with outrageous comments. OH MY GOD! HE SMILED! HE fargING SMILED! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!?! LETS CALL ANGELO AND BRING IT UP BECAUSE THAT ATTYTOOD DONT FLY HERE, PAL! Get over it.

And yeah, they dont care if they win or lose. Please.

Rome

First of all, settle down roid rage-boy.   :-D

Second, if you read Zolecki's column, nowhere does it mention that he was joking.  He quoted Rollins as if the comments were made with a straight face, not with a wink.

Third - would it really be that much of a surprise if what he said was true and not some sort of yuckety-yuck?

Finally, the whole "just kidding" thing is played out.  Considering this group has never even made the playoffs, a little more living and dying with wins and losses would be a refreshing change.

BigEd76

PhillyPhreak54

I'm cool as always. I only get roid-raged during McNabb discussions. ;)

I read the Inky this morning and I took it as joking because CC and Jimmy are friends. They mentioned something about Jimmy joking about it on the broadcast too. And my ultra-negative friend who hates Jimmy Rollins and wants to butt sex Jose Reyes pretty much had the same reaction as y'all.

Yes.

I understand what you're saying, and even though its the soon-to-be-10K-loss Phillies who haven't won since I wore a diaper, you know as well as I do that baseball is a marathon. They're gonna be clowning around. All serious all the time won't get it done. Although I would like to see the stupid shaving cream pies stopped. That is dumber 'n shtein.

ice grillin you

Finally, the whole "just kidding" thing is played out.  Considering this group has never even made the playoffs, a little more living and dying with wins and losses would be a refreshing change.

exactly

and they absolutely dont care if they lose...just read the paper after games they lose...they are like doesnt matter its a long season...cant win every game...theres still 100 games left....we just have to go out there and do it...all teams go thru losses like this...blah blah blah....

while that all may be true maybe if you went out with the attitude that youre going to win every game (even if youre not) youd win the extra few games that you miss the playoffs by every year

that will never happen with this team and its even worse now that they have a manager that is as lax and incompetant as the players are

Rome

I wish that the players would care about them losing and winning as much as we, the fans, do.  It doesn't seem that way with this group.

BigEd76

Quote"I'm completely accepting the fact that I suck right now," Geary said.

So instead of working on his pitching, he shaved off his goatee....

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 20, 2007, 10:52:05 AM

exactly

and they absolutely dont care if they lose...just read the paper after games they lose...they are like doesnt matter its a long season...cant win every game...theres still 100 games left....we just have to go out there and do it...all teams go thru losses like this...blah blah blah....

while that all may be true maybe if you went out with the attitude that youre going to win every game (even if youre not) youd win the extra few games that you miss the playoffs by every year

that will never happen with this team and its even worse now that they have a manager that is as lax and incompetant as the players are

Stop blaming the manager. They were the same way under Bowa too.

And what do you want them to say? Players, and I'm talking about those on winning teams, speak often about how the grind is and you have to have fun.

I guess they should be suicidal after losses. You cannot play a competitive sport and not care of you lose. Unless you're name is Pat Burrell or Rod Barajas.

ice grillin you

id love to hear just one time someone from the team be like we have to win these games in june because they mean just as much as the games in september

never happen tho....check the inky article the day after they got worked by the royals...rollins and manuel are pathetic....

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The tease continues.

The Phillies swept the Braves in Atlanta two weeks ago, only to lose five of seven at home to Arizona and San Francisco. They continued their tug-of-war with .500 last week when they swept the Mets in New York, only to lose two of three this weekend to the Kansas City Royals, including yesterday's brutal 17-5 defeat at Kauffman Stadium.

Up and down. Down and up. That has been the Phillies way.

"They beat us," manager Charlie Manuel said. "They totally beat us. You act like we're supposed to win every game. It isn't going to happen if you measure out our club. If you think we're going to win every game, that's not going to happen. There are going to be days when we get hammered."

Jimmy Rollins offered an optimistic take on the Phils' just-completed road trip through New York and Kansas City, in which they finished 4-2.

"You know sports," Rollins said. "That's why they call it beautiful."

Does it feel beautiful?

"For them it does," he said. "That's all that matters. It was a successful road trip. You can't say we went to New York expecting to sweep, but we got it. We only got one win here, but they played better ball this series. There wasn't anything that wasn't successful about this road trip. It's just that you look at the team, and on paper you think you should do something. But paper doesn't pitch or hit or throw."

But the numbers don't lie. The Royals are a bad baseball team. They started the afternoon with the worst record in baseball. They had the second-worst offense in the American League. They had the fourth-worst pitching staff in the AL.

And they torched the Phillies twice in one weekend.

They pounded injured righthander Freddy Garcia in Friday's 8-4 Phillies loss. They scored six runs in 32/3 innings against lefthander Jamie Moyer (5-5) yesterday.

"I didn't throw the ball well," Moyer said. "I stunk. What can you say? You think that we'd give them better games. I can only speak for today. I didn't throw the ball very well at all. I made some mistakes in the middle of the plate. I got behind hitters. I walked too many people. I didn't help the cause at all. It starts with pitching."

The Phillies trailed by 6-3 in the top of the fifth inning when Ryan Howard hit a two-run home run into the Royals' bullpen in right field.

"When Howard hit his homer, I felt like we still had a good chance to win the game," Manuel said. "I felt like we were in the game. That's why I brought [Ryan] Madson in the game. He could go a couple innings."

Madson had retired four straight batters when he walked Ryan Shealy to start the sixth. He walked Joey Gathright with one out and hit David DeJesus with a pitch to load the bases. Mark Grudzielanek singled to score two runs and Mike Sweeney singled to knock in another run, making it 9-5.

Sweeney hit a ball off Madson's hand in the fifth inning, but Madson said that did not affect him in the sixth. Regardless, Jose Mesa allowed two runs in 11/3 innings in his Phillies debut and Geoff Geary allowed five runs (two earned) in a third of an inning. Francisco Rosario also allowed a run.

The Phillies had not allowed 17 runs since May 13, 2002, when they lost, 17-3, to the host Houston Astros.

Brandon Duckworth took the loss that afternoon. He allowed the two-run homer to Howard yesterday.

So the Phillies continue to frustrate their fans.

Are the Phillies just as baffled?

"It doesn't baffle me," Manuel said. "I sat there and watched the game. It didn't baffle me at all. I see a team with 17 runs and 14 hits. I expect to play better, yeah. But what the hell?"

But why does the inconsistency continue?

"I don't have any answers to that," Moyer said. "It is [frustrating]. We worked so hard to play well in New York."

And then this.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 20, 2007, 11:08:41 AM
id love to hear just one time someone from the team be like we have to win these games in june because they mean just as much as the games in september

never happen tho....check the inky article the day after they got worked by the royals...rollins and manuel are pathetic....

Whats worse is they've had that mentality from the get-go. They started out 4-11 which translated to "we're only 15 games into the season". When you've missed the playoffs by 2 or 3 games for consecutive years that mentality should have been waived bye bye.

PhillyPhreak54

Well, they did say that starting strong was important because every game counts. Now we all know they shtein the bed in April but whats the record since the 3-10 start? They talked all spring about starting strong so there's some comments for you to go dig up.

But it's all talk, igy. They talked about starting good and farged it up. So who gives a shtein what they say now? Give me results. I couldn't care less what they say to Todd Zolecki or Mrs. MDS, Marcus Hayes and whatever other beat writers are there. Just like I don't put much stock in what the Eagles players say publicly I don't put much into what the Phillies say either.

You're looking for soothing quotes and quite frankly it doesn't make a lick of a difference who says what and when. Get it done on the field.

ice grillin you

Stop blaming the manager. They were the same way under Bowa too.

yeah the players are pieces of shtein....i say that all the time...but they are currently worse than ever because of this particularly manager...who is the worst manager ive ever seen in the all my years of watching baseball

I guess they should be suicidal after losses. You cannot play a competitive sport and not care of you lose. Unless you're name is Pat Burrell or Rod Barajas.

you cant pick and choose players...just cause you dont like burrell and barajas doesnt mean they are the only players culpable on the team...rollins and victorino for example are just as bad as burrell in terms of wanting to win...caring about losing...doing the right things to win ect...its just that they happen to put up numbers that burrell doesnt...just cause rollins is one of your favorite players doesnt mean he has a different attitude than burrell...i love rollins myself but you gotta call em like you see em

burrell is the worst case because he sucks as a player both in statistics and in how he plays the game