2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread - DIVISION CHAMPS MOTHER fargER!!!!

Started by SunMo, March 26, 2007, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

I still maintain that it doesn't matter who the manager is of this squad; they will suck regardless.

I think they should start bringing back old Phils pitchers and see what they have left. Get Mitch and Ricky Blow off the Comcast sets, give Bedrock and Kent Tekulve a ring. Maybe even go see what Marvin Freeman, Tyler Green, Chad Ogea and Kyle Abbott are up to these days.

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 24, 2007, 11:12:31 AM
Sarge, Coste has been back with the team for about two weeks now. ;)

He has three at-bats in all that time.  There's no rational reason for Barajas to still be on this team.  Not with Ruiz playing the way he's played and with Coste being there to spot him twice a week.

The only reason Barajas is still on the team is because he's Gillick's signing and there's no way Gillick is admitting his mistake only 7 weeks into the season.

Nope, "STAND PAT" will do just that and the Phillies will tread water until the trade deadline at which time there will be another fire sale.

Go team.

ice grillin you

I still maintain that it doesn't matter who the manager is of this squad; they will suck regardless.

with a legit manager they make the playoffs last year

with a more functional lineup they make the playoffs last year

with a better bullpen they make the playoffs last year

so i agree with you that charlie isnt the sole problem....however its easier to fire a manager and find a competant replacement than it is to re tool an entire lineup or bullpen

and thats why the manager gets the most attention....because there are no outside factors preventing them from upgrading that spot
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

Phreak, I can't believe you say the manager doesn't matter.

This guy consistently makes mistakes with his lineup, with his pitching changes, and his overall strategy.

I'm not saying the team deserves no blame for where they are, but you can't let Charlie off the hook, he is brutal.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

I don't feel like looking it up, but how long did it take for him to let Ryan Franklin go last year (who is now pitching well for STL, which boggles my mind)?

He'll admit mistakes. Problem is he hasn't been good enough at getting players who aren't mistakes in the first place.

Rome

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 24, 2007, 11:25:24 AM
...however its easier to fire a manager and find a competant replacement than it is to re tool an entire lineup or bullpen

You would think so, wouldn't you?

Quick - name the last competent Phillies manager.

PhillyPhreak54

PoopyfaceMcGee

MDS

They're all a bunch of losers. Everyone last one them. The greatest manager in the world could manage this team and they'd still find a way to farg it up. No one is giving Chuckles a pass, they're just saying it doesn't matter. This team is a full of losers like Rod Barajas and Wes Helms. They'll find a way to lose anyway, so in short, baseball is an incredible waste of everyone's time. rjs has the right idea. But yet, I can't let it go.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

you dont need a manager to win you games...tho that would be nice

you need someone that will not abort games

both bowa and francona...neither of who i liked much were competant

again its unbelievably easy to find a competant manager...theres one sitting next to charlie every night in davy lopes

Rome

And before that... Dallas Green.  And before that, Gene Mauch.  How many managers have come and gone in those nearly 50 years?

I'm not saying that the managers are the reason why the Phillies haven't won.  That's idiotic.  The players are ultimately responsible for getting it done.

However, look at the organizational framework.  For the past 25 years the Phillies organization from top to bottom has been a third-rate amateur hour outfit.  The owners are absentee landlords, upper management is a joke, scouting has been spotty (for every Utley, how many Jeff "Action" Jackson's have there been) and the coaching staffs have been almost uniformly mediocre-to-downright-awful.

It's sad but it's really not worth getting all freaked out about anymore.  We, as fans, are stuck with this bunch of losers and there's nothing we can do about it.  We're just as pathetic for remaining loyal to them as they are for counting on us to remain loyal.  It's a sick, almost incestuous relationship we as fans have with that team, but there's no other alternative so we remain faithful and hopeful. 

We're worse than cultists in our deluded devotion.

ice grillin you

No one is giving Chuckles a pass, they're just saying it doesn't matter

but giving him a pass is exactly what youre doing when you say he doesnt matter

it absolutely does matter when your manager is losing you games...im not even a seamhead who believes in the emerald chessboard and all that crap...but charlie is just so far in the other direction its not even funny

again if hes not the manager last year they make the playoffs...but he doesnt matter?

Rome

Fact: The Philadelphia Phillies as an organization said "NO" to Jim Leyland and "YES" to Charlie Manuel.

Fact: The Philadelphia Phillies have Gary Matthews & Chris Wheeler on their television broadcast team and Larry Anderson handling play-by-play duties on radio.

Fact: Since the team was incorporated in the 1880's they've won exactly 1 world's championship.

Fact: The ownership group who has controlled the team has exactly 1 playoff appearance in their nearly 25 year tenure despite the fact that they own a team in the 4th largest market in the country, and the only city in which their team is the sole participant in the sport.

Fact: They have likely the best facilities, routinely draw 35-40 thousand people per game, yet their payroll is usually between 10th & 15th in the league.  Why exactly?  Ownership is more concerned with making a profit than winning a championship.

It's ugly, it's pathetic but it's all we as fans have.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Those facts are considerably less awesome than the ones at colehamelsfacts.com.

Rome

Cole Hamels is the person who composed those facts.  I just copied and pasted them here.