2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread - DIVISION CHAMPS MOTHER fargER!!!!

Started by SunMo, March 26, 2007, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

you gotta give me better odds, i'm already behind the eight ball

triple or nothing.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

youre behind in odds but have nothing to lose...i can understand not wanting to do it but theres a reason its called double or nothing

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 30, 2007, 11:02:27 PM
Um, Alfonseca has been money. So he gave one up - no biggie. If it leads to him sucking every night ala Madson, then I see a problem.

I got out of class just in time to hear the HR.

King Cole tomorrow

He wasn't money last night unless you cheer for the Braves.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I just saw a replay of the hanging garbage 6ie served up to Andruuu.  I think I could have parked that.

Rome

It's not even worth getting upset over anymore.  It makes no difference who they bring in to close out games because they all suck.

It's like they went to a Kelly's Girls temp agency for relief pitchers.

SD_Eagle5

What was the point of taking Myers out lastnight? Guys used to being a starter, pitching a few innings a couple times a week isn't going to kill him. Manuel gives him the hook way too early.

Wingspan

He wasnt pitching all that well last night. Got into some trouble.

If you're grooming him to be a set-up eventual closer...you can't just decide on a whim to throw him out there for 2 or 3 innings.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SD_Eagle5

Who says you have to have a traditional 9th inning closer? If he's getting it done in the 8th I don't see how it hurts leaving him out there for the 9th.

Wingspan

He really didnt get anything done in the 8th, other than get out of the 2nd and 3rd, 1 out jam that he put himself into.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SD_Eagle5

Who's a better option in the 9th, Myers or Alfonseca? Myers didn't give up any runs, he only pitched 2/3 of an inning on Sunday, so he wouldn't have been overused if he had pitched another inning lastnight.

Wingspan

Alfonseca has only given 2 earned runs all season before last night.

He's actually been their most consistant reliever. He was fine for the 9th in a tie game.

Connection Problems

SD_Eagle5

I know it was only mop up duty but he looked zesty pitching the 9th in Sunday's game. Aside from that, he hasn't been bad. Still, I leave Myers in. The point I'm trying to make is if Myers is getting the job done, why take him out? Using him an inning a close game isn't what I had in mind when he went to the pen.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteMoyer's words were a spark when the Phillies were reeling

By Jim Salisbury
Inquirer Staff Writer

ATLANTA - Jamie Moyer did a lot more for the Phillies in April than go 3-1 with a 2.65 ERA in five starts.

According to multiple team sources, the veteran pitcher was one of the most forceful and influential voices in a pregame meeting called by manager Charlie Manuel when the Phillies were plodding along at 4-11 on April 21.

After the 80-minute meeting in Cincinnati, the Phils reeled off seven wins in their next nine games before last night's 5-2 loss to the Atlanta Braves.

"I think what he said had a positive effect on the team in general," second baseman Chase Utley said of Moyer.

"Moyer was good," Manuel confirmed. "He was very stern."

Details of the meeting, as usually is the case, have been closely guarded. But in recent days, sources have said Moyer helped light the team's fire by invoking a harsh and jarring word in calling out his teammates.

"We're playing like a bunch of [wimps]," he told them.

About a half-dozen players, Manuel and several coaches spoke in the meeting. According to sources, bench coach Jimy Williams and first-base coach Davey Lopes also made pointed remarks.

Williams told the team it was too concerned with style, adding that style mattered only in platform diving and gymnastics.

Lopes, an old-school product of the Los Angeles Dodgers' system, spoke for about 15 minutes, touching strongly on his distaste for pregame hugs and the fraternization that Phillies players engaged in with opposing teams. Lopes told the team that in his playing days, players spent the time before games plotting ways to beat the other team, not greet it.

Utley and Jimmy Rollins also had unspecified messages for the team.

"We got a lot of different ideas from a lot of different people," Manuel said.

Moyer's comments created the most buzz (and were quite well-received) around the organization, particularly the one about playing like wimps.

The lefthander, by the way, has won both his starts since the meeting, allowing just three runs in 131/3 innings.

The 44-year-old lefthander, who won his 219th career game Sunday, did not deny making the pointed remark, among others, yesterday, but he would not comment on specifics.

"I just wanted to give the team my feelings," he said. "I've always believed if you have things on your chest, you need to get them off. I tried to bring up points that I thought were valid and important to get across to my teammates.

"I'm at the point in my career where I want to win. That's it. I [re-signed] here because I thought this team had a really good chance of winning, because I liked what I saw late last season."

Moyer did offer a hint about his overall message.

"I've been around a long time, and I know that over the course of 162 games, there are times you may lose focus," he said. "You can't get caught up in personal things like 'I'm not hitting,' or 'I've allowed five home runs.' "

Moyer shrugged.

"I wasn't trying to offend anyone," he said. "If someone had a problem with it, they could have confronted me, but no one has."

No one will. Moyer is in his 21st season, and he is one of the most respected players in the game. Since coming to the Phillies in August, he has made 13 starts, and the Phils have won 10 of them.

"He's great," said Utley, speaking of Moyer as a pitcher and teammate. "He's awesome."

While Utley said he was unsure how much of the Phillies' turnaround stemmed from the meeting and how much stemmed from their offense's thawing, Moyer said the meeting was "very beneficial." He praised Manuel for his level-headed approach to the meeting and for opening the floor to anyone who wanted to speak.

"Everyone who said something added something good to the situation," Moyer said.

PhillyPhreak54

ice grillin you

i stole larry in our fantasy draft...i remember asking why he was still on the board mad late..like i thought he was out for the year but i hadnt heard

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous