2007 Philadelphia Phillies Thread - DIVISION CHAMPS MOTHER fargER!!!!

Started by SunMo, March 26, 2007, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

Chuck looked like a moron, you should never lose your cool in public. Its not like the players are going to respond to him getting mad at a local sports talk show guy.

Rome

Eskin & Charlie Manuel are both useless.

Put them both in the nearest industrial press for all I care.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyPhanInDC

That's alls Uncle Cholly can stands and he can't stands no more.

After the Phillies lost to the Metropolitans again, 8-1, Philthies manager Charlie Manuel sort-of lost his cool. During the post-game press conference, local sports talk show host and Phillie hater realist, Howard Eskin rubbed Cholly the wrong way. Manuel was answering a question about whether he thinks he needs to be harder on the players; Cholly was saying...

"I do at times, but it's a timely thing. We're still hustling. We're still playing hard. We might be trying to do too much. For me to go in there and throw a fit, I can go in there and tear the whole... locker room up. I could throw every... chair in here out. What the hell? I don't see how that's gonna do me any good!"

So then Howard Eskin jumped in and snarkily asked,

"Don't you think it creates some sort-of urgency for the players when they see you angry?"

All of a sudden, Charlie's voice started to quiver a little bit and he goes,

"I think they see me angry more than you think they do!" Cholly continued, "Why'ont you drop by my office and I'll show you how angry I can get!"

So Eskin followed Manuel to his office (that's GANGSTA!) and Manuel reportedly rushed Eskin before being restrained by hitting coach Milt Thompson. As Manuel was being held back, he yelled from his office, "We're going to win!" However, no time frame was given for when the winning would take place.

Ha. Sounds like a three year old.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

MDS

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2841584

Video to the right is Eskin interview on Cold Pizza explaining how he did nothing wrong and that he's always right and knows everything about baseball.

I agree, kill both of them.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

However, no time frame was given for when the winning would take place.

ha

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

eskin infuriates me to no end sometimes but he is a gawd...a philadelphia legend...he is in fact....THE KING

PhillyPhanInDC

Are the Phillies a bust?posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007  |  Print Entry

As we ask the only question that matters -- "Is it spring yet?" -- we offer these theoretically incisive observations about all kinds of stuff:
• The Phillies are a mess: Are the Phillies, officially, the biggest bust of 2007? They still haven't won two games in a row -- and the only other team that can say that is the Royals. They're 3-9 -- and only two NL teams since the Bobby Thomson Giants have started 3-9 or worse and made the postseason ('74 Pirates, 2000 Giants). Not one guy in their bullpen has shown any semblance of dependability. And Ryan Howard and Chase Utley are 5-for-32 (.156) with runners in scoring position. Charlie Manuel may take the fall one of these months if this keeps up. But he wasn't given a talented enough team to live up to the inflated expectations that surrounded this group. Baseball Prospectus' Joe Sheehan said it best: The dropoff from the top 11 players on this team to the rest of the roster is steeper than most people seemed to notice.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

ice grillin you

The dropoff from the top 11 players on this team to the rest of the roster is steeper than most people seemed to notice.

i would question the quality of the first 11 players on the team as well...the problem with the phillies is they dont have any "players"...they have guys that are great hitters (utley) or home run hitters (howard) or fast (victorino) or good leaders (rowand) or (should) deliver pop off the bench (helms)...but other than rollins and ill accept utley as his defense seems to have improved this year where are their "players"

And Ryan Howard and Chase Utley are 5-for-32 (.156) with runners in scoring position

wow

ice grillin you

nm

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 18, 2007, 02:36:51 PM
The dropoff from the top 11 players on this team to the rest of the roster is steeper than most people seemed to notice.

Basically, this means that only the best 11 players on the team have a positive VORP.

Rome

The biggest problem with the Phillies thus far has been that Howard & Utley are both mired in miserable hitting slumps.  That hasn't happened during the past couple of seasons.  Usually, one if not both are hitting and now both are struggling.

Hell, if Jeter & A-Rod were both slumping badly the Yankees would be in trouble too.

They'll get hot eventually but the question is will it be too late when they do?  Further - will another problem rear its ugly head when they start tearing the cover off the ball?  It sure seems like it always does.

ice grillin you

They'll get hot eventually but the question is will it be too late when they do?

so youre saying as soon as howard and utley start hitting the phillies become the best team in the division?

that one of the biggest oversimplifications of all time romey

even with utley and howard hitting the mets and the braves and possibly the marlins are all better

SD_Eagle5