2007 NFL Offseason Stuff Thread

Started by SunMo, January 02, 2007, 04:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Quote from: SunMo on June 18, 2007, 03:32:55 PMwouldn't you think the DC beltway is one of the worst places to ride a bike?

I ride there when I have to, just like you drive there when you have to.  But yeah, it's terrifying.  People in cars are more dangerous than cracked out sociopaths.  Especially if they're on the phone (hands free or not).
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

I don't know, Dio... I can't think of a reason to ride on a motorcycle on the beltway unless it's an emergency of some sort.

That farging highway is shtein scary even in a car.

Diomedes

You have to take the beltway to get from place to place. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

I learned to drive on the beltway and Rt. 66. I'm more comfortable driving on chaotic highways surrounded by farging lunatics than I am navigating suburban roads. I saw a pickup truck next to me jerk to the right and go sideways end over end down the middle of two lanes of beltway traffic once. That was farging scary but at the time I was just happy that it happened next to me rather than in front. Traffic would have been farged and it would have taken me forever to get home.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

And yet I still want to buy a motorcycle...why? I don't know but I want one.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Diomedes on June 18, 2007, 04:51:16 PM
Quote from: SunMo on June 18, 2007, 03:32:55 PMwouldn't you think the DC beltway is one of the worst places to ride a bike?

I ride there when I have to, just like you drive there when you have to.  But yeah, it's terrifying.  People in cars are more dangerous than cracked out sociopaths.  Especially if they're on the phone (hands free or not).

The other day some idiot on a motorcycle was doing about 90, weaving in and out of the two lanes passing cars, even darting into the turn lane.

And, thanks to Florida law, he was sans helmet.

I'm sure that most don't drive like that (in fact, there are dozens of cycles out every weekend of guys about my age or older cruising and riding safely), but a young idiot on a motorcycle is a freightening combination.

And now my idiot 20-year-old nephew got a motorcycle.  He'll be road putty in a matter of weeks.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I've either found the Beltway to be just like any other highway or just at a stand-still.  It's really no worse than any other major road populated solely with jackasses.

Diomedes

Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 18, 2007, 06:48:18 PMThe other day some idiot on a motorcycle was doing about 90, weaving in and out of the two lanes passing cars, even darting into the turn lane.

I'm sure that most don't drive like that (in fact, there are dozens of cycles out every weekend of guys about my age or older cruising and riding safely), but a young idiot on a motorcycle is a freightening combination.

And now my idiot 20-year-old nephew got a motorcycle.  He'll be road putty in a matter of weeks.

The other day, 50 idiots in cars passed me doing 90 mph, and thanks to Virginia and Maryland law, literally half of them were gabbing away on cell phones.  True, I was on the highway for seven hours so I saw this a lot, but I wasn't passed by a motorcyclist once, and I see this much from car drivers every day, even on short trips.  The numbers are not on your side, and the differense between the damage done by the jerk you saw and the damage done by the jerks I saw isn't even comparable.   A motorcycle is not even a tenth as dangerous to anyone other than the motorcyclist himself as a passenger car.

I'm fine with no helmet laws.  As the bumper sticker on the 90mph Expedition says, Freedom isn't Free.

The statistics show that most killed motorcyclists were at least one, if not several or all combinations of
a.unlicensed
b. never professionally trained in even the most basic safety course
c. drunk or high
d.riding without a helmet or other protective gear. 
e. hit by an at fault passenger vehicle (mostly illegal left turns into oncoming motorcycle) or a deer

Lots and lots of motorcyclists are never in the first four categories, much less combined.  They survive long and you see them on the road all the time.  They can't avoid the last reason very well, especially with people taking your attitude or worse ruling the roads.

PoopyfaceMcGee

You'd have us believe you're stone cold sober every time you get on your bike?

Diomedes

Did I say I was one of them?

And no, I wouldn't have you believe that.  Would you believe me if I told you so?  Or course not. 

Morevoer, the question is irrelevant.  You don't get on a motorcycle and contend with the traffic.  I do. 

The argument from authority wins this time.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Diomedes on June 18, 2007, 07:27:08 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 18, 2007, 06:48:18 PMThe other day some idiot on a motorcycle was doing about 90, weaving in and out of the two lanes passing cars, even darting into the turn lane.

The other day, 50 idiots in cars passed me doing 90 mph, and thanks to Virginia and Maryland law, literally half of them were gabbing away on cell phones.  True, I was on the highway for seven hours so I saw this a lot, but I wasn't passed by a motorcyclist once, and I see this much from car drivers every day, even on short trips.  The numbers are not on your side, and the differense between the damage done by the jerk you saw and the damage done by the jerks I saw isn't even comparable.   A motorcycle is not even a tenth as dangerous to anyone other than the motorcyclist himself as a passenger car.

I'm fine with no helmet laws.  As the bumper sticker on the 90mph Expedition says, Freedom isn't Free.

The statistics show that most killed motorcyclists were at least one, if not several or all combinations of
a.unlicensed
b. never professionally trained in even the most basic safety course
c. drunk or high
d.riding without a helmet or other protective gear. 
e. hit by an at fault passenger vehicle (mostly illegal left turns into oncoming motorcycle) or a deer

Lots and lots of motorcyclists are never in the first four categories, much less combined.  They survive long and you see them on the road all the time.  They can't avoid the last reason very well, especially with people taking your attitude or worse ruling the roads.

What attitude am I taking?  I gave an example of an idiot, called him an idiot, and said that I am sure that most don't drive like that.  I have, however, seen a fair amount riding like idiots.  Most of these idiots had one thing in common:  they all looked to be in their late teens or early 20s.

And, as much as I love my nephew, he is indeed an idiot, and I fear for his safety riding a motorcycle.

You are a bit too sensitve and are seeing things that I did not say.

Diomedes

That's it, I'm calling Al Sharpton.  You can't speak to me like that.

ice grillin you

And now my idiot 20-year-old nephew got a motorcycle.  He'll be road putty in a matter of weeks

hahahaha

I've either found the Beltway to be just like any other highway or just at a stand-still.  It's really no worse than any other major road populated solely with jackasses

it has more jackasses because it carries more cars than just about any road in the nation....i know la is the only city with worse traffic than dc and thats with dc having a public transportation system that carries more people than anyones except ny

the beltway is especially bad tho because its a major highway with S curves on it....id love to know who the farg decided to do that
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

PFT.com on Pacman:

QuoteRegardless of how it all turns out, it's very difficult to envision an end game for Jones that doesn't involve jail, or worse.

How about him and Maurice Clarett get a reality show about becoming WWF wrestlers?

America...farg Yeah!!