The Coaching Deathwatch Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, December 31, 2006, 08:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

i can see him getting a job in New England next year as some sort of offensive adviser and when they score 10 billion points again he'll scream about how he really is an offensive genius
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

QB Eagles

Quote from: SD_Eagle on December 31, 2007, 02:32:27 PM
He"ll probably wind up as an offensive coordinator somewhere sort of like Martz

And probably get shteincanned after two seasons like Martz will be very soon.

Rome

Was Billick responsible for acquiring the personnel in Baltimore? 

rjs246

No, that was Ozzie Newsome and I'd give away one nut for him to work in Philly.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

The Ravens made it to the playoffs in four of the last nine seasons.  Yeah, they won the Super Bowl, but still, 4/9 years is awful.

MadMarchHare

farg you.  I'd take that if one of those trips netted a Lombardi.  You're only lying to yourself if you disagree.
Anyone but Reid.

TexasEagle

Quote from: MadMarchHare on December 31, 2007, 07:16:44 PM
farg you.  I'd take that if one of those trips netted a Lombardi.  You're only lying to yourself if you disagree.

QFT. I still don't get the folks that say they'd rather the team (Philly) compete for years then win one SB and suck for a decade. Anyone still saying that is full of shtein. Having seen my other pro teams win championships it's way better when they win one I can see and enjoy and then suck for the next dozen years (hello, NY Rangers - farging underachievers).

QB Eagles

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on December 31, 2007, 06:07:12 PM
The Ravens made it to the playoffs in four of the last nine seasons.  Yeah, they won the Super Bowl, but still, 4/9 years is awful.

Interesting stat. Here's the playoff appearances by head coaches who have been in the same place for at least 5 years:

Indy is 6/6 under Dungy.
NE is 6/8 under Belichick.
The Eagles are 6/9 under Reid.
Seattle is 6/9 under Holmgren.
Denver is 7/13 under Shanahan.
Tampa Bay is 3/6 under Gruden.
Jacksonville is 2/5 under Del Rio.
Tennessee is 5/13 under Fisher.
Carolina is 2/6 under Fox.
Cincinnati is 1/5 under Lewis.

Del Rio, Fisher, Fox, and Lewis all check in with sub-Billick percentages. And no Super Bowl wins among them.

MadMarchHare

Quote from: TexasEagle on December 31, 2007, 07:28:54 PM

QFT. I still don't get the folks that say they'd rather the team (Philly) compete for years then win one SB and suck for a decade. Anyone still saying that is full of shtein. Having seen my other pro teams win championships it's way better when they win one I can see and enjoy and then suck for the next dozen years (hello, NY Rangers - farging underachievers).

If I hadn't already drank a fifth of gin, I'd be more accomodating.  Demon and I had this conversation in Minnesota.  He argued that having meaningful games in January and a chance is more important than anything for the brass ring.  While I largely agree with that thinking (watching that Buffalo game sucked ass), the only reason you'd think not winning the SB is the key is because you've never experienced it, and don't know what you're missing (which was my argument, and Demon had no answer for that).
Anyone but Reid.

Rome

I'd gladly trade your life for an Eagles Super Bowl win.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteNOLAN IN THE BALANCE

Another head coach whom many presumed to be safe could end up out of a job.

49ers coach Mike Nolan's press conference, scheduled for 2:00 p.m. local time on Monday, was first bumped by two hours and then canceled.

Nolan currently is meeting with ownership.

It has been reported that V.P. of player personnel Scot McCloughan is expected to be named General Manager.  His first order of business could be hiring a new head coach.

In three years under Nolan, the 49ers are 16-32.

Not too shocking considering how much money they have spent without results. Then again, drafting Alex Smith has hindered that team too. That's not Nolan's fault, but the way he handled Smith this year might have hurt him.

Another example of a team spending and spending not mattering because they don't have a QB.

BigEd76

Baltimore got rid of the coaching staff too.  It didn't matter for Neuheisel since he's heading to UCLA, but Rex Ryan is now available for you Buddy lovers....

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteFALCONS PUTTING CART BEFORE THE HORSE?

Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com reports that the Falcons will interview Cowboys offensive line coach Tony Sparano for the head-coaching job.

The only problem?  The Falcons currently don't have a General Manager.  Typically, the General Manager is involved in hiring the coach.

The fact that the Falcons are looking for a coach before hiring a G.M. suggests to us that the Falcons also are looking for what we'll now call a "G.M. Lite."

In essence, a "G.M. Lite" is a G.M. in name only.  He's a guy who clearly doesn't have the authority to hire and fire the coach, and who might not have final say over personnel -- even if his contract says that he does.

As to the apparent "G.M. Lite" gig in Atlanta, we're hearing that the initial candidates include John Schneider of the Packers, Ravens pro personnel director George Kokinis, and Patriots director of college scouting Tom Dimitroff.

The situation also makes us wonder whether deposed G.M. Rich McKay (who likely fed the Sparano scoop to Pasquarelli) is working to create a situation in which he'll still have some juice.  If the Falcons were to hire a strong G.M. and give him the keys to the car, McKay would undoubtedly be kicked to the curb.

BigEd76

Tony Soprano huh

I like how Dallas is good for 1 year and their coaching staff and front office is being raided already