The Coaching Deathwatch Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, December 31, 2006, 08:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Demon

The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Diomedes

Love it.  He waits until several other coaches have been picked up, and quits.  Ha.  farg you Jerrah.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Cerevant

Quote from: Diomedes on January 22, 2007, 12:11:11 PM
Love it.  He waits until several other coaches have been picked up, and quits.  Ha.  farg you Jerrah.

Linky

Actually, given the lead-up, I'm guessing Bill said "TO or Me" and Jerrah loves him sum TO.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Father Demon

The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Feva

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Rome

BigEd76

Ron Rivera will fall right into their laps if they want him...  :-\

hunt

lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

QB Eagles

Quote from: BigEd76 on January 22, 2007, 12:28:05 PM
Ron Rivera will fall right into their laps if they want him...  :-\

That's what I thought as soon as I heard the news. Wouldn't be surprised if Jerrah already had an illegal deal with Rivera.

bobbyinlondon

Some of the names that are popping up from what I've read so far--

Wade Phillips, DC, SD--because of his familiarity with the 3-4 defense
Jim Mora, Seattle--don't know if this is viable any longer because he is now where he wants to be

Norv Turner, OC, SF--can he polish Romo like he did Aikman?
Mike Martz, OC, Detroit--again, a guy who developed Warner and Bulger
Bob Stoops, Oklahoma--not as big as he once was, but then again, Jones wants someone he can control

Ron Rivera, DC, CHI--has to wait until after the SB to interview him

PoopyfaceMcGee

Stoops and Rivera are the only ones on that list that I wouldn't like very much.  The other one are guys I would want to play twice a season.

Diomedes

I'm not particularly interested in seeing what Norv Turner could do with Jones and Barber.  He doesn't mind overworking a back.

PhillyPhreak54

I have a feeling that Wade Phillips is the number one guy right now. At least that is what their fans were talking about on their sites these last few weeks. They were saying that Bill was holding them hostage and that there were rumors, as Bobby pointed out, that Phillips was a guy who Jerrah had at the top of the list.

Turner is a guy who Jerry loves. And so does Aikman and Troy said that he would endorse Norv to Jones.

Mike Martz and Jim Mora would turn that team into a bigger circus. Although Mora could be a guy because he has a past relationship with Owens. He was the guy who was touting TO when the Eagles signed him and said he as a good guy.

I'd like to see them get Bob Stoops. Or any college coach for that matter because the recent track record of college guys coming in isn't so good (Spurrier, Saban, etc)

Eaglez

The list of prospective coaches for the Cowboys is underwhelming.

If Wade Phillips is their frontrunner, by all means take him. He doesn't really strike fear into the opposition. He might be a good DC, and he might have had a good season or two in Buffalo as a HC, but then he floundered.

I don't understand the trend of giving a failed head coach another shot. Especially when that coach has shown that they are more capable of just focusing on one aspect of the game and doing that well (e.g. being a DC as opposed to an HC). I guess it is that whole 'promote people past their level of competence' and then watch them fail -- but why someone would repeat the cycle...