The Coaching Deathwatch Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, December 31, 2006, 08:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 21, 2007, 08:35:09 PM
Seven.  Years.  Ago. 

And they haven't sniffed another one since. 

They won a championship and have been regular participants in the playoffs ever since. Second best record in the league this year... He may not be the best coach in the league, but he's more than good enough.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

They've missed the playoffs 3 out of the last 6 years (missed 02, 04, 05).  Not exactly what I'd call "regular participants." 

And the point is that the dude is supposed to be some sort of offensive mastermind yet the Ravens have never had anything even close to a dynamic offense and his evaluation of talent when it comes to offensive skill positions appears to be completely non existant. 

I don't see anything he's done over the last few years that warrants a 4 year extention.  With a defense as dominant as that one is you'd think he could put an offense on the field that would take just a little bit of the pressure off them.   

rjs246

A championship and making the playoffs half the time would be more than enough to make me happy. Because of the championship. See a theme here?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Billick's ego is too big at times, but one of his balls could kick the shtein out of Andy's whole sack.

Sgt PSN

I get the thought process.  But we're also Eagles fans, most of whom have never seen a championship in our lifetime so any coach who leads this team to a title is pretty much a God.  Ravens fans have had a team for like 10 years.  I'm not counting all the years they were waiting between the Colts leaving and the Ravens showing up because they were all busy rooting for the taterskins.  So Ravens fans are hardly starving for championships because they've got pleny between the Colts, Skins and Ravens.  

Point is, his teams have underachieved and the reason for that is because his supposed strong suit (offense) has been the weak link year in and year out.  

rjs246

Championship! Drool drool drool...

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

My left nut's name is Championship. 

rjs246

That just doesn't make any sense at all, freak.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

I just coughed and farted at the same time. 

Dillen

Sgt PSN

methdeez

When is an actual coach going to die and this thread become will-titled?
Also, I hate Billick. He's an arrogrant prick who coaches a purple themed team named after a poem.

SunMo

Brian Billick is probably one of the most overrated coaches in the modern history of earth
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Rome

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 21, 2007, 08:35:09 PM
Seven.  Years.  Ago. 

And they haven't sniffed another one since. 

You asked why he was retained and given an extension.  The ring's the reason, Sassy.

Rome

Here's something I don't understand:

QuoteUpdated: Feb. 21, 2007, 10:07 PM ET
Smith's agent says talks with Bears have broken down
ESPN.com news services

Barring what Lovie Smith's agent calls an "unforseen breakthrough," the Chicago Bears coach expects to return for the 2007 season without a new contract.

Lovie Smith
Smith

Frank Bauer, Smith's agent, told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that talks between the team and coach were at a "stalemate."

"We're not close, we're not encouraged and based on where talks have gone recently, Lovie will be a free agent after next season," Bauer said on Wednesday night.

Smith has one year remaining on his original contract. He was the league's lowest-paid coach at $1.35 million in 2006 and will remain No. 32 on the paylist at $1.45 million in '07.

Smith suspended contract talks shortly before the playoffs when he led the Bears to their first Super Bowl appearance since 1985 after a 13-3 regular season. Negotiations picked up shortly after the Bears lost to the Colts in the championship game, but Bauer said there were significant gaps on the contract terms between management and the coach.

"It would take an unforseen breakthrough for this to get done," Bauer said. "And we are being more than reasonable in this market."

Coaches that have taken their teams to the Super Bowl, even in a losing effort, are making at least $5 million per year, such as Carolina's John Fox.

The Ravens just signed Brian Billick to a four-year extension. The deal, with one year left on his current contract, is valued at $28.5 million over the next five years, a league source said.

Chris Mortensen is an NFL analyst for ESPN.

The guy's getting paid less than some coordinators do.  Just pay the man, already.