The Coaching Deathwatch Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, December 31, 2006, 08:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Munson

It must suck to get fired when you have potentially the best running back of all time, in his prime, on your team.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

rjs246

Getting fired at at any other time is a picnic, though, smart stuff.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

lol @ your hatred of munsin

i love it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Feva

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: EagleFeva on February 13, 2007, 09:53:54 AM
Schottenheimer got shafted.

Wrong:

QuoteHis 5-13 playoff record has taken on a life of its own. The loss to the Patriots was his sixth straight in the postseason dating to 1993, and the ninth time a Schottenheimer-coached team lost its opening playoff game. His teams have failed four times to capitalize on the home-field advantage that comes with owning the AFC's No. 1 seed.

That's abysmal.  He can't coach his team when it counts.

SunMo

yeah, but why now?  something had to go down between him and AJ Smith.

it also doesn't make sense because they just lost their OC and DC, I would've thought they might want to keep some sort of continuity in the staff.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Schottenheimer farged Smith and didn't have the common courtesy to provide a reach-around.  Just classless.

Feva

Quote from: FFatPatt on February 13, 2007, 10:00:26 AM
Quote from: EagleFeva on February 13, 2007, 09:53:54 AM
Schottenheimer got shafted.

Wrong:

QuoteHis 5-13 playoff record has taken on a life of its own. The loss to the Patriots was his sixth straight in the postseason dating to 1993, and the ninth time a Schottenheimer-coached team lost its opening playoff game. His teams have failed four times to capitalize on the home-field advantage that comes with owning the AFC's No. 1 seed.

That's abysmal.  He can't coach his team when it counts.

See... that's just it.  They're firing the guy for (mostly) his past issues.  5-13 has nothing to do with the Chargers. Being 0-2 does and losing once with the AFC top seed does.  Is that in itself enough to fire a coach after he just won 14 out of 16 games?  If he wasn't at odds with the GM... he'd probably still have a job.  Who the hell gets fired after a 14-2 season?

Even against the Patriots... that game wasn't really on him.  It was his own players making terrible mistakes.  Muffing punts, committing personal fouls when they just stopped the offense on 3rd down, the strip after the interception, etc... he coached well enough for them to win if the players hadn't disintegrated.  Now I will say that where Marty farged up in that game was challenging that turnover when it was such an obvious play.  That cost them a timeout which they ended up needing dearly at the end of the game.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Sgt PSN

Supposedly, the reason they elected to fire him now is because both coordinators have left for other jobs, not to mention that other assistants on the team seem to be looking to move elsewhere as well.  So I guess that the Chargers felt that since the coaching staff is being broken up then they might as well just clean house. 

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Drunkmasterflex

His record in the playoffs is incredibly crappy, but the way he has lost in the playoffs has often not been his fault.  Either way he was shafted and it makes zero sense for a team that is so close to winning it all.  They have hardly any coaches that remain so they will have to install a new system, it may work like it did for TB, but...
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Drunkmasterflex

Norv Turner was just named the head coach of the Chargers as per the bottom line on ESPN. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Diomedes

He'll run LT and Turner into the ground.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Butchers Bill

Come on...there had to be better qualified candidates out these other than Turner and Phillips.  Right?   :-\

Has coaching in football in general really declined that much in the past five or six years that these retreads get to continue to run franchises into the ground?
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.