The Coaching Deathwatch Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, December 31, 2006, 08:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Quote from: Eaglez on January 22, 2007, 11:45:20 PM
I don't understand the trend of giving a failed head coach another shot. Especially when that coach has shown that they are more capable of just focusing on one aspect of the game and doing that well (e.g. being a DC as opposed to an HC). I guess it is that whole 'promote people past their level of competence' and then watch them fail -- but why someone would repeat the cycle...

PhillyPhreak54

Les Miles from LSU is another guy to watch out for in Dallas. Jerry likes him.

Also, Bob Stoops was in Dallas to recruit a player for OU and reportedly had dinner with Jerrah.

bobbyinlondon

Quote from: Eaglez on January 22, 2007, 11:45:20 PM
The list of prospective coaches for the Cowboys is underwhelming.

If Wade Phillips is their frontrunner, by all means take him. He doesn't really strike fear into the opposition. He might be a good DC, and he might have had a good season or two in Buffalo as a HC, but then he floundered.

I don't understand the trend of giving a failed head coach another shot. Especially when that coach has shown that they are more capable of just focusing on one aspect of the game and doing that well (e.g. being a DC as opposed to an HC). I guess it is that whole 'promote people past their level of competence' and then watch them fail -- but why someone would repeat the cycle...

Because either there aren't enough quality assistants out there or the ones who are haven't been in place very long--mind you that didn't stop Pittsburgh from hiring Mike Tomlin. Now you have the Riaders hiring Monte Kiffin's son--he's all of 31 and was the co-OC at USC.

rjs246

USC's offensive coordinator (Monte Kiffin's son) was named head coach of the Raiders. Per ESPN.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

Dallas rumors starting at Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher  :-D
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

EJ72

I was a little surprised, but not reallly. I thought he was burnt out after '05 and was surprised he hung around to begin with. Watching that team flop around like a bunch of seals stranded on the beach for the last month of the season must have been like having a root canal over and over again. Besides, he's 65. You can't do it forever, and there aren't many coaches that go 40 years almost nonstop. Football's a young man's game and everyone has to give in to father time eventually.

Successor? Pbbt. Wait and see I guess. If the Titans hadn't come back to have a passable season with Young and picked up Fisher's option he would have been a candidate. If it was next year it could have been Cowher. Jerry's said more than once he's going to remain committed to the 3-4 so that probably narrows it down to someone that's worked with it or is comfortable with using it for a defense. That's why Phillips name has popped up prominently. There's a longstanding rumor that he had a handshake deal with Stoops to be the next coach whenever the time came, but with what's happened with recent college coaches, that may not be as good an idea.

You've already got most of the rumored guys listed, but Dan Reeves is another one that's floated around. Ties to the organization, experienced, has the name and so on. I say enough with coaches that are 60+ with pre-existing heart conditions. There are some that think that Tony Sparano could get a shot, a few pining for Jimmy to return, and some that think one of the Ryan brothers would work. A couple have called mentioned Russ Grimm as well. The consensus on the board I frequent says Phillips, and I'm inclined to agree with them simply because of the reasons I listed.

Diomedes

Quote from: EJ72 on January 23, 2007, 01:19:49 AMJerry's said more than once he's going to remain committed to the 3-4 ....

The owner dictates the base defense?  Holy Christ, that's ass backwards.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Jones should just quit the pretense and name himself head coach.

Diomedes

With Romo at QB, who needs a coach?  He's in the Pro Bowl, baby!!  He'll do it all himself!!
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eaglez

True, sometimes it does work -- like with Belichick. But I just have a picture of the Dom Capers, Norv Turners, Ray Rhodes (with his short stint in GB), Marty Morninweg and the like in my mind when I think of that. Capers is a decent DC, but he was horrible as a head coach. Norv Turner is a very good offensive coordinator, but he was pretty bad as a head coach, Ray Rhodes has shown to be a good DC, but being a head coach was not his strong suit, and Marty has shown both in San Francisco and now in Philly to be a good OC, but was a pretty bad head coach.

Its the head coaches that demonstrated to be very good at managing certain portions of the game, but not necessarily being a great head coach and having oversight over the entire coaching staff that I don't get. Belichick, I think, is more of the exception rather than the rule. 

Diomedes

Quote from: Eaglez on January 23, 2007, 11:03:54 AMNorv Turner is a very good offensive coordinator, but he was pretty bad as a head coach...

In Snyderville and Davisland.  I'm not convinced that he can't be a good HC.

Eaglez

Quote from: Diomedes on January 23, 2007, 11:24:03 AM
Quote from: Eaglez on January 23, 2007, 11:03:54 AMNorv Turner is a very good offensive coordinator, but he was pretty bad as a head coach...

In Snyderville and Davisland.  I'm not convinced that he can't be a good HC.

Possibly -- he wasn't put in the best positions to succeed under those owners.

Also, Mike Sherman and Dick Jauron come to mind. Good as respective coordinators, but not so much as head coaches. Jauron had that one good year with the Bears, but everyone knew that was a fluke. I think that was the season the Bears went 13-3 but won about half those games on plays towards the end of the game either on account of stupidty by the other team or just luck in being at the right place at the right time (i.e. they never dominated a team based on sheer ability, talent, or better execution).

With head coaches and coordinators both being paid comparatively the same, and with coordinators having less of a responsibility, I don't see the problem with being a coordinator over being a head coach. Maybe the prestige of being a head coach, but that is even diminished now adays.

Father Demon

Please, please, please let it be Mike Martz.  Please.

I lived with that ass-clown here, and never had a dull moment laughing at his expense to all my Rams-fans friends.  Which, by the way, are now back to being Cardinals fans.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: EJ72 on January 23, 2007, 01:19:49 AM
I was a little surprised, but not reallly. I thought he was burnt out after '05 and was surprised he hung around to begin with. Watching that team flop around like a bunch of seals stranded on the beach for the last month of the season must have been like having a root canal over and over again. Besides, he's 65. You can't do it forever, and there aren't many coaches that go 40 years almost nonstop. Football's a young man's game and everyone has to give in to father time eventually.

Successor? Pbbt. Wait and see I guess. If the Titans hadn't come back to have a passable season with Young and picked up Fisher's option he would have been a candidate. If it was next year it could have been Cowher. Jerry's said more than once he's going to remain committed to the 3-4 so that probably narrows it down to someone that's worked with it or is comfortable with using it for a defense. That's why Phillips name has popped up prominently. There's a longstanding rumor that he had a handshake deal with Stoops to be the next coach whenever the time came, but with what's happened with recent college coaches, that may not be as good an idea.

You've already got most of the rumored guys listed, but Dan Reeves is another one that's floated around. Ties to the organization, experienced, has the name and so on. I say enough with coaches that are 60+ with pre-existing heart conditions. There are some that think that Tony Sparano could get a shot, a few pining for Jimmy to return, and some that think one of the Ryan brothers would work. A couple have called mentioned Russ Grimm as well. The consensus on the board I frequent says Phillips, and I'm inclined to agree with them simply because of the reasons I listed.

Looks like you're right about Sparano, EJ. Apparently he's interviewing today.

Mad-Lad

Quote from: rjs246 on January 23, 2007, 12:53:22 AM
USC's offensive coordinator (Monte Kiffin's son) was named head coach of the Raiders. Per ESPN.

i just listened to about 45 seconds of his press conference.  Dude sounds like he's trying to give a book report on something he bought the cliff notes to and is hoping to squeeze by with his supposed confidence.  Completely uncomfortable with plenty of fluctuation in stressing things throughought his sentences.  Good luck Raiders fans.