Todd Herremans Signs 5yr Extension

Started by PhillyPhreak54, December 29, 2006, 08:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

ESPN.com

QuoteContinuing to lock up their young offensive linemen with long-term deals, the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday night reached agreement with starting left guard Todd Herremans on a five-year contract extension, ESPN.com has learned.

Todd Herremans

Herremans

The deal is worth $16 million to $17 million and includes a $5 million signing bonus. Herremans will sign the extension Saturday, which is the NFL deadline for teams to sign players to new contracts and be able to allocate remaining 2006 salary cap space to do so.

Philadelphia is typically proactive in reaching early extensions with players they believe are key to their future and Herremans, only a second-year pro, is considered one of the team's young veterans around whom the Eagles will build.

Herremans, 24, is the third young interior offensive lineman the Eagles have signed to extensions in the past seven months. Center Jamaal Jackson, in his first season as a full-time starter, and Pro Bowl right guard Shawn Andrews signed long extensions this summer. Jackson is under contract through 2013 and Andrews through 2016. The team's two starting tackles, William Thomas and Jon Runyan, are both signed through the 2008 season.

The extension with Herremans is also the fourth one team president Joe Banner, arguably the league's premier salary cap expert, has negotiated with a member of the Eagles' 2005 draft class. Defensive tackle Mike Patterson (No. 1), wide receiver Reggie Brown (No. 2a) and defensive end Trent Cole (No. 5a) are the other three players from that draft class to land extensions since the start of the season.

A fourth-round choice, Herremans, who played at Saginaw (Mich.) Valley State, started four games as a rookie in 2005, filling in for the injured Thomas at left tackle. He settled in at the left guard spot during training camp this summer and has started all 15 games heading into Sunday's regular-season finale against the Atlanta Falcons.

Solid signing. He has played very well at LG.

BigEd76

Diomedes

Yeah, can't argue with this move.  Unless Reid resumes play calling, in which case it doesn't matter how good or how many good linemen you have.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: BigEd76 on December 29, 2006, 08:32:47 PM
I guess we'll never see MJG then....

Still possible. He needs some seasoning. Herremans can still play OT and I think he will be the guy who replaces Runyan in the future.

In two years it could be;

Justice
Jean-Gilles
Jackson
Andrews
Herremans

Or if they (stupidly) decide to move Andrews out to RT when Runyan is done, then MJG could replace Shawn.

Geowhizzer

Diomedes

Please, please leave Andrews at guard.  PLEASE!  I'm farging begging you, Andy.  The guy is a guard. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

Right now he's too fat to play tackle. If he cuts down on the ho-ho's and snackaroos, then maybe. But he's a pretty good guard, so keep on eatin' tubby.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

I agree. He is Larry Allen Jr. He must stay inside where he can kill DTs.

MDS

Larry Allen with or without all the weed?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

The BIGSTUD

Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on December 29, 2006, 09:00:14 PM

Nate Newton was the weed guy in Dallas. So was Mark Stepnoski. Mark Tuinei was the crack head and died because of it.

ice grillin you

maybe so but bam morris moved that weight
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 29, 2006, 09:13:23 PM
Quote from: MDS on December 29, 2006, 09:00:14 PM

Nate Newton was the weed guy in Dallas. So was Mark Stepnoski. Mark Tuinei was the crack head and died because of it.

So you're saying Allen never, ever got arrested? He did choke Jose Cortez, but that little farger had it coming.

PhillyPhreak54

I don't think Larry has ever been arrested.

I remember a MNF game in 1994 or 1995 when the Saints were playing the Cowboys. Allen ran down a LB like 60 yards downfield and prevented a TD after an INT. It was amazing to watch him truck after the dude.

BigEd76

Back in 1998, a stripper accused him of raping her at knifepoint but there was no evidence and the charges were dropped...