Lions eying Heckert

Started by MURP, November 10, 2006, 09:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MURP

per PFT.   Wasnt he just signed to an extension by the Eagles?

QuoteHECKERT HEADING TO MOTOWN?

There are strong rumors in league circles that the Lions could be eyeing Eagles G.M. Tom Heckert if/when the Lions dump president/CEO Matt Millen and re-build the front office.

Heckert, a 39-year-old Michigan native, accepted a promotions to the G.M. job in Philly when the Vikings were attempting to complete a two-fer by hauling Heckert and former Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress to Minnesota.  But because he doesn't have "final say" over the composition of the roster in his current job, the Eagles cannot block him from moving if the Lions job includes such "final say."

And even if the departure of Millen comes this year, next year, or the following year, look for Heckert's name to be on the list of potential replacements.

The timing of the opening could be an impediment to Heckert's interest in the job.  As we see it, he might not want to bail on the Eagles after serving as G.M. for only one year.

Several weeks back, we wrote that Millen currently is safe in Detroit, since owner William Clay Ford Sr. simply refuses to make a change.  The word in league circles is that Ford's son, Bill, doesn't like Millen and would get rid of him ASAFP if he could.

PhillyPhreak54

I hope he doesn't leave. He has set up that scouting department very nicely and had some good drafts.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Heckert is already paid more than God and is in line to have that aforementioned "final say" very soon, as the Eagles will probably take away the top personnel role from Andy to claim it will make him focus more on coaching (think Holmgren in Seattle).

rjs246

Heckert leaving would be bad bad bad.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Butchers Bill

Quote from: FFatPatt on November 10, 2006, 09:25:04 AM
Heckert is already paid more than God and is in line to have that aforementioned "final say" very soon, as the Eagles will probably take away the top personnel role from Andy to claim it will make him focus more on coaching (think Holmgren in Seattle).

Thats really the best case scenario for the Eagles.  AR has proven time and time again that he cannot draft WR's and LB's, two positions that have been weak since he's been here.
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: FFatPatt on November 10, 2006, 09:25:04 AM

I hope so.

Cerevant

Since there is no way the Eagles fire Reid after this year, I think taking away GM responsibility would be a best case scenario.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Diomedes

Quote from: rjs246 on November 10, 2006, 09:27:19 AM
Heckert leaving would be bad bad bad.

Agreed. 

Regarding FF's comment, Reid has proven over and over that he can't call a game like a pro.  Taking personnel responsibilities from him won't improve his ability to get the play into the huddle quickly, adjust to a different look, etc.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Cerevant

Quote from: Diomedes on November 10, 2006, 09:39:01 AM
Regarding FF's comment, Reid has proven over and over that he can't call a game like a pro.  Taking personnel responsibilities from him won't improve his ability to get the play into the huddle quickly, adjust to a different look, etc.

I agree, but that may be the wakeup call he needs to change from business as usual - his atitude to this point is that he is untouchable and knows it. 
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Andy= Control Freak
Lurie= In love with Andy
Heckert= To MoTown if he wants
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

He can swap stories about Marty with... uh, nobody.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Is Tom Modrak available?  Anyone??

PoopyfaceMcGee

I didn't say it was a good idea.  I said it's a distinct possibility, because I think Reid and Lurie are too thick of friends for him to be fired outright.

Feva

Quote from: FFatPatt on November 10, 2006, 11:10:53 AM

I didn't say it was a good idea.  I said it's a distinct possibility, because I think Reid and Lurie are too thick of friends for him to be fired outright.

Because of that though... I just can't see Lurie putting the pressure on Reid to even give up the GM duties.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, IMO... (GM) Reid is untouchable through at least next season (if the losing continues).
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews