Reggie Brown extended

Started by Feva, November 09, 2006, 07:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

QuoteBrown's average of 19.3 yards per catch is best among receivers with at least 25 receptions

Interesting.

Beermonkey

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on November 11, 2006, 08:20:35 AM
Quote"The Eagles have a history of being, I guess, not the most giving organization when it comes to money," Smith said. "I told my agent that I am not trying to ask for a whole lot of money, and I'm not trying to break the bank. I'm trying to be fair."

:-D

L.J. Smith = Washington taterskin in 2008?

It's starting to look that way. I'm not too high on L.J. & the fact that he doesn't have an extension makes me think the team doesn't either. I think the Eagles throw their money around for certain positions & players they think are key, I don't think they see LJ as either.

NGM

As much talent as I think L.J. has and as much as I crave RJS' approval, I wouldn't be heartbroken if L.J. left.  He is one of those guys who keeps getting listed as jumping to the next level every year in sports mags but he never does.  Not to mention he can't block and he carries the ball like a queer carries a purse.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: NGM on November 11, 2006, 12:14:30 PMhe carries the ball like a queer carries a purse.

So totally not true.  Queers don't fumble their purses. 

ice grillin you

lj is one of the best pass catching te's in the nfl and is perfect for the offense as long as andy reid is calling 65% passing plays...it would be a mistake to let him go

Brown's average of 19.3 yards per catch is best among receivers with at least 25 receptions

its also the best among possesion receivers

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Feva

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 11, 2006, 01:51:51 PM
lj is one of the best pass catching te's in the nfl and is perfect for the offense as long as andy reid is calling 65% passing plays...it would be a mistake to let him go

Totally agree.

He's arguably the #2 passing option on this team.  As long as we throw the ball as much as we do... he's a big weapon to have.  Andy's offense is all about mismatches... and LJ is a big one.

The Eagles need to get him a contract.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 11, 2006, 01:51:51 PM
Brown's average of 19.3 yards per catch is best among receivers with at least 25 receptions

its also the best among possesion receivers

I think he drops the short ones on purpose to keep his average up.

JPM21

Can I ask what may seem like a stupid question....

....why do the Eagles extend contracts of 2nd year players? Particularly ones who, despite being solid football players, haven't exactly shown Pro Bowl stuff.

I am not criticizing, I cant because the taterskins are probably the most poorly run team in terms of personnel this side of Oakland but I really just don't understand this and I find myself wondering why they woud do it.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Since you asked nicely...

The money they spend on these contracts when the player is still very young is a pittance compared to what would happen if they start really kicking ass.  Even if the player bottoms out, the Eagles aren't really much worse off financially.  Also, the player gets a nice windfall at a very early stage in his career, and the present value of money is much more to a guy than deferred dollars.

They have two cautionary tales (at least) to tell to players who don't take these types of deals and plan to hold out for the big contract when their rookie deal is up:  Damon Moore, and now Michael Lewis.

QuoteMarc Narducci, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Reggie Brown called signing a five-year contract extension a difficult decision. Brown said, "It was a tough decision. But you either gamble or just go for what you think is right. I weighed all those options and made my decision." Brown is under contract with the Eagles until 2014 after signing a contract believed to be worth up to $28.6 million if certain incentives are met. William Johnson, Brown's agent, said the $10 million bonus was the major selling point. Johnson added, "If that doesn't provide financial security, then something is wrong. And I would die if Reggie suffered an injury down the line and had turned that type of money down."

Eaglez

The present value of money should reign supreme in the minds of these young guys. Money up front is obviously more valuable than money deferred down the line. Good explanation, Freddie.

Reggie Brown is a good, solid signing. I've been critical of his drops, but his big play ability and his knack to make a big play is probably worth that up front money.

Right now in his career, I equate Reggie Brown to a physical Todd Pinkston. When Pinkston was serviceable he would make some outstanding catches, but then drop the really easy ones or gets scared out of his cleets. With Reggie, he makes some really outstanding catches (mostly in the end zone), but then drops the little short junk that is imperative in a West-Coast scheme. He needs to be more consistent on that level, and then this deal will be an absolute steal.

The good thing is that he's shown to be talented and he's shown that he can make a big play and take it the distance. I don't think you can teach that. The 6, 7, 8 yard drops, however, is something that is readily correctable as long as the person keeps their concentration. Reggie just needs to concentrate more and make those short catches and realize that he doesn't have to take it the distance on every catch. Helping your team to move the chains can be infinitely more valuable than trying to make a big play on every play.

shorebird

Quote from: Eaglez on November 12, 2006, 11:31:08 AM
Right now in his career, I equate Reggie Brown to a physical Todd Pinkston. When Pinkston was serviceable he would make some outstanding catches, but then drop the really easy ones or gets scared out of his cleets.

Most all our receivers drop short passes. I think one reason is that they never know were the bullet is gonna' hit. McNabb never hits his receivers on the money consistantly. If his receivers could count on the ball being on their numbers more often, you might not see all those drops from short passes.

Thats my theory anywayz.

hunt

lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

Diomedes

great use of the timeout Andy
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

The BIGSTUD

Extend Stallworth ASAP.

Also, he's the only WR we have that can do a double move effectively.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.