Reggie Brown extended

Started by Feva, November 09, 2006, 07:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

I'd be happy if he proved me wrong, Jay.  I've been on his bandwagon since his first mini-camp, after all.

I just don't see Reggie as a "special" player.  He's good for sure.  Prognosticating greatness for him is a stretch, though. 

At least that's how I see it, anyhow.

rjs246

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 10, 2006, 08:32:36 AM
He's an inconsistent player who they had locked up for a few more years. Why shell out now?

because hes showed that he has the ability to become an excellent #2 guy...as opposed to someone like patterson who has showed pretty much nothing to warrant an extension...id rather lock up reggie now for the rest of his career and be set at that #2 wr spot for solid money than to let him get better while he approachs the end of his contract and then wants to get caked off reggie wayne style and the eagles are left with having to let someone go as the colts did with edgerrin james

seems like you would not ever extend anyone until they get near the end of their deal...i think the eagles go overboard on the extensiopns but i also think there are times when its warranted...because there are times when youre gonna run into a situation where they are now with lj...a guy whos developed into one of the better pass catching te's in the league and who probably is going to jet for big money and leave the eagles with matt schobel as their te next year

Fine, those are all reasonable points. I just don't understand it and think that it sends a strange message to the rest of the players. "Play inconsistently and you'll get a big signing bonus and a contract extension."

No one is holding any of the players to any sort of performance or consistency standard and it's irritating as all hell.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

Hey, I could be wrong too. But I like what I see from him. Hell, he made good, well as good as he could, with Mike McMahon as his primary QB last season. The Torrance Small shtein has to stop though. He needs to be like Hot Hands in The Little Giants and picture the ball as a roll of toilet paper. Toilet humor suits him too since he equated a loss to a floating turd duringa WIP interview a few weeks back. They play a soundbyte of him saying "turd" all the time. :-D

MURP

Reggie Brown infuriates me with his drops, but he is probably most talented WR the Eagles have had since Reid was here other than TO.

General_Failure

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 10, 2006, 09:02:18 AM
if someone dives out for a ball its hits their hands and they drop what would have been an great catch is it a good try or a drop

too much grey area

No. Drops are counted when the ball can be caught with a normal amount of effort. Diving for the ball would be counted as uncatchable, even if it did hit the receiver in the hands.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

His point is still the same, although his example is flawed. Drops are a subjective stat. But if one source says 7 drops and another says 8 and another says 10, I'm comfortable with taking a rough average. It's not like one source has him at 2 drops and another has him at 20. It's all in a fairly close range of numbers and that range of numbers is WAY too high.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MURP on November 10, 2006, 10:36:43 AM
Reggie Brown infuriates me with his drops, but he is probably most talented WR the Eagles have had since Reid was here other than TO.

Stallworth is more talented, IMO.

Feva

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on November 10, 2006, 09:26:05 AM
I'd be happy if he proved me wrong, Jay.  I've been on his bandwagon since his first mini-camp, after all.

I just don't see Reggie as a "special" player.  He's good for sure.  Prognosticating greatness for him is a stretch, though. 

I think what Phreak is saying is that it's too early to prognosticate ANYTHING for Reggie already.  If it's a stretch for Phreak to call him "the next Chad Johnson", then it's a stretch for you to say that he'll never be more than a #2 WR.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

General_Failure

Quote from: EagleFeva on November 10, 2006, 11:14:27 AM

I think what Phreak is saying is that it's too early to prognosticate ANYTHING for Reggie already.  If it's a stretch for Phreak to call him "the next Chad Johnson", then it's a stretch for you to say that he'll never be more than a #2 WR.

And it's also too early for him to be getting an extension. Just like everyone that has yet to prove their worth.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Feva

Quote from: General_Failure on November 10, 2006, 11:36:31 AM
Quote from: EagleFeva on November 10, 2006, 11:14:27 AM

And it's also too early for him to be getting an extension. Just like everyone that has yet to prove their worth.

Well... that goes back to what IGY and rjs were talking about earlier in the thread.

(In Reggie's case)... Is it better to extend him earlier on as he's getting better so they get him at a better value, or should they wait until the end of his deal once he's blossomed and can demand much more money making him that much harder to sign?
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

The BIGSTUD

Reggie is the man. Love it.

Just cut down the drops and you'll be BAAALLIIIIN
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

shorebird

Quote from: EagleFeva on November 10, 2006, 12:20:43 PM
(In Reggie's case)... Is it better to extend him earlier on as he's getting better so they get him at a better value, or should they wait until the end of his deal once he's blossomed and can demand much more money making him that much harder to sign?

Thats a good question. You take a chance either way. You also take the chance that if he does end up getting better, makes the pro-bowl and gets pissed about the contract he has, so he holds out demanding a new, better deal.

Great avatar by the way there Feva.

Rome

Quote"The Eagles have a history of being, I guess, not the most giving organization when it comes to money," Smith said. "I told my agent that I am not trying to ask for a whole lot of money, and I'm not trying to break the bank. I'm trying to be fair."

:-D

L.J. Smith = Washington taterskin in 2008?

Dillen

Quote"The Eagles have a history of being, I guess, not the most giving organization when it comes to money," Smith said. "I told my agent that I am not trying to ask for a whole lot of money, and I'm not trying to break the bank. I'm trying to be fair."
What would everyone consider fair money/contract for L.J? I really have no idea. Maybe $5M a year.