Reggie Brown extended

Started by Feva, November 09, 2006, 07:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Brown is certainly not a possession receiver.  That would indicate a higher level of consistency than he's shown.

I like him as a #2 quite a bit because of his ability to make big plays.  He's got a ceiling infinitely higher than Pinkston's ever was and actually has a physical component of his play that is nice to see.  BUT, the team's going to try to sell us on him being a #1 for years to come as they cut Stallworth loose because of inability to reach a long-term deal with Rosenhaus, thanks to his nagging injury clouding the situation.

Brown/Baskett/Lewis/Avant through 2011.  Yay team.

ice grillin you

the team's going to try to sell us on him being a #1 for years to come

that IS the relevant issue here

not extending reggie brown
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Reggie Brown could be a 1b on a team that emphasizes the run.

That team is not the Andy Reid Eagles.

Diomedes

I don't know where you folks are getting your stats, but according to MURP, who I trust hella more than any other source on the subject, he's dropped 10:

QuoteAnother game, another pile of dropped passes.  The drops are not being fixed yet and it is starting to hurt the Eagles.   During the TV broadcast, Brian Baldinger actually said that if the Eagles backs and WR's would catch the ball more consistently the Eagles would break all of the NFL passing records.   I don't know about that, but I do know that McNabbs stats would be much improved.   Obviously wins are the most important thing, but McNabb has taken a lot of heat over the years for having a below average completion percentage.  McNabb has his share of horrible throws, but take a look at this stat:  The Eagles have dropped 40 passes this season so far.  FOURTY!   McNabbs current completion percentage is 59.3%.    Even if the drops were only cut in half so far this year, McNabbs completion percentage would be 68%.  That is unreal.

Dropped Passes Week 8 vs. Bucs
--------------------------------------

Westbrook: 2
Schobel: 2
Brown: 1
Smith: 1

Season Total Dropped passes
---------------------------------
Brown: 10
LJ Smith: 7
Westbrook: 7
Baskett: 5
Stallworth: 5
Schoebel: 3
Tapeh: 2
Lewis: 1

http://eagleswarroom.com/home/
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

stats inc has him at seven...of course drops are an incredibly subjective statistic...

Diomedes

who you gonna trust...Stats Inc., or your own boy who is poring over game tape each week to update his hobby fan site?  I've seen at least seven drops in the five games I've watched with my own eyes..

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

I would also hazard a guess that Smith has been targeted more than Brown, despite his two game absence.

PhillyPhreak54

1. Brown is not a possession guy. A possession guy is Keyshawn Johnson or Joe Jurevicius.

2. The fact that Reggie is playing like he is and he was DRAFTED by this team is a good sign. This team blew ass at identifying WR talent in the draft and they finally have hit on one.

3. Remind yourselves that this is only his 2nd year. He is getting better and will continue to do so.

4. Also remind yourselves that these contracts are window dressing and if he does suck then they cut him ala Pinkston or any other NFL player. His SB is not huge so eating that in 2-3 years if he kills himself or whatever is no problem. It seems like people are so ready to rip this team that no one is using their brain. "Oh my! Everyone sucks! No one is good! Fire them all!" Stop.

5. Finally people should realize that this team is going to have about $30M in cap space next season. That was after the Cole and Patterson deals and before the Brown deal. They can add talent if they so choose to do so. None of these contracts are going to hinder the pursuit of FA's.

ice grillin you

well the guys at stats inc and elias get paid to do this stuff and sports leagues depend on them to get it 'right'

i dont trust anyone on what a drop is and i believe everyone...as i said a drop to one person is a bad throw to another...too much bias is involved...if you dont like reggie brown it was a drop...if you dont like mcnabb its a bad pass

i think it was you and others fighting over pinky and his ball in the lights play...perfect example...is that a drop cause he didnt go for it...or was it not catchable...

if someone dives out for a ball its hits their hands and they drop what would have been an great catch is it a good try or a drop

too much grey area

Rome

To me a "possession receiver" is a #2 guy who complements a true #1 receiver.  John Taylor comes to mind when I think of Reggie Brown.

Regardless, I wasn't disparaging Reggie by labeling him as a #2 guy.  Again, he is what he is.  He's never going to be a true #1, though.  If you guys think that, well... I'll agree to disagree then.

Diomedes

it's no coincidence that igy champions nuance, context, subjectivity when it suits his argument.  comparing Brown's drops to Smith is ludicrous.  Brown has shown that his has mediocre hands, at best.  Smith is irreproachable at this point in his career.

btw, I like the signing.  Just not the stupid comparison to Steve Smith.  Brown needs to improve his hands considerably for this draft pick/extension to go down as the first good WR of Andy's reign.

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on November 10, 2006, 09:07:05 AM
To me a "possession receiver" is a #2 guy who complements a true #1 receiver.  John Taylor comes to mind when I think of Reggie Brown.

Regardless, I wasn't disparaging Reggie by labeling him as a #2 guy.  Again, he is what he is.  He's never going to be a true #1, though.  If you guys think that, well... I'll agree to disagree then.

How can you say he'll never be a 1? We don't know yet. He's got the speed and the ability to get open and get separation. He needs to be more consistent though.

My view on a possession guy is a guy who moves the sticks and doesn't have a high YPC. I'd classify Taylor as a complimentary receiver.

Rome

T.O. = true #1.

Steve Smith = true #1.

Marvin Harrison = true #1.

Reggie Brown is not in that class.  Not even close, bro.  He's a good receiver.  He's got good speed, good route-running discipline, and can beat other "good" cornerbacks.  He's not a game changer like a true #1 guy would be.  At least he's never shown that ability in his time with the Birds.

Whatever, though.   I'm fine with the signing.  He's a good player and if the Eagles get someone of the caliber of the three guys I mentioned above, he'll have a nice career in Philly.  If not, he'll be miscast as a #1 by a regime that can't seem to find one with both hands.

PhillyPhreak54

Was Steve Smith looked at as a "true #1" in his second year? No. It wasn't until his third year, second as a full time starter, that he blew up and said he was a stud WR.

Even Owens wasn't considered a true #1 in his 2nd year.

Give him time. If he can be more consistent I believe he will be a much better. And he's already pretty good now.