Reggie Brown extended

Started by Feva, November 09, 2006, 07:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

chinese food on a hot dog bun?  :=)
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Munson

Stallworth/Reggie/Baskett/Avant/Lewis= :yay
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

rjs246

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 09, 2006, 08:23:46 PM
hes tied for the most drops with steve smith who has had his drops in two less games

I'm nominating this for worst post of the year. You've got to be kidding me with even bringing Steve Smith into this conversation. In two less games SS has what, 130 more yards? He's single handedly led his team to a couple of victories and makes their offense potent on his own.

Seriously. I mean. Christ.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Eagaholic

Brown has 7 drops in 8 games which is 14 per regular season. At this rate, when his new extension kicks in, his base salary will be about $300,000 per drop, plus incentives.

Really though, looks he will only be making $4-5 million a year around 2011 - 2014. By that time, $4-5 mil will be nothing for a decent WR.  The 10 year veteran minimum might be half that much by 2014.

General_Failure

What the hell is with extending all these underachievers? Is Buck next?

The man. The myth. The legend.

LBIggle

they obviously just needed to be catapulted into unnecessarily rich instead of just really rich status to start performing up to expectations.

ice grillin you

I'm nominating this for worst post of the year. You've got to be kidding me with even bringing Steve Smith into this conversation. In two less games SS has what, 130 more yards? He's single handedly led his team to a couple of victories and makes their offense potent on his own.

youre missing the point....the worst post of the year would be to suggest that reggie brown not get an extension because he has some drops this year...why bring up the fact that ss has more yards than him...he should shouldnt he since hes a better wr?...

if you want to say reggie brown shouldnt get an extension because you think he stinks then thats fine...but to single out he shouldnt get a contract simply because of drops in the first eight games of the year then thats ridiculous and ill say that steve smith doesnt deserve what hes getting as he has the same number of drops in less games and has two and half times fewer touchdowns as reggie brown...in fact stever smith has five more drops than he does td's this year...but all that doesnt matter because we know steve smith is a great wr...

therefore you must also use the same thinking with reggie...yeah he has some drops this year but in the big picture is he worth the extension or not...i think he is and can be a very good #2 guy...they finally have a guy who appears to be more than solid and will have this offense down pat in a couple more years...why let someone like that go when we know it takes four years minimum for a wr to learn this ridiculous offense and the track record for drafting wr's here has been putrid...oh but all that stuff doesnt matter....get rid of him he has to many drops this year
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Look at how smart we are for drafting guys and then signing them to extensions!

[/Banner]

rjs246

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 10, 2006, 06:24:35 AM
youre missing the point....the worst post of the year would be to suggest that reggie brown not get an extension because he has some drops this year...why bring up the fact that ss has more yards than him...he should shouldnt he since hes a better wr?...

if you want to say reggie brown shouldnt get an extension because you think he stinks then thats fine...but to single out he shouldnt get a contract simply because of drops in the first eight games of the year then thats ridiculous and ill say that steve smith doesnt deserve what hes getting as he has the same number of drops in less games and has two and half times fewer touchdowns as reggie brown...in fact stever smith has five more drops than he does td's this year...but all that doesnt matter because we know steve smith is a great wr...

therefore you must also use the same thinking with reggie...yeah he has some drops this year but in the big picture is he worth the extension or not...i think he is and can be a very good #2 guy...they finally have a guy who appears to be more than solid and will have this offense down pat in a couple more years...why let someone like that go when we know it takes four years minimum for a wr to learn this ridiculous offense and the track record for drafting wr's here has been putrid...oh but all that stuff doesnt matter....get rid of him he has to many drops this year

Quote from: General_Failure on November 10, 2006, 04:07:44 AM
What the hell is with extending all these underachievers? Is Buck next?

Exactly.

IGY, you of all people know that this team settles for what they have rather than going out and improving themselves. This is a perfect example of that. And now they're signing up to settle for the next EIGHT YEARS. They're rewarding players for underachieving. I'm not saying that they shouldn't sign him for his drops, though 7 drops through half a season is ridiculous. I'm saying that they could have easily waited until he actually proves to be a consistent player before throwing money at him. He's got what, 3 and a half years left on his contract? Jesus Christ.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

i dont think having reggie brown as your #2 wr is settling

if you think hes a #3 or 4 then thats where we disagree

Rome

I don't think Brown has underachieved one bit.  I just don't see him as a true #1 receiver.  It's not his fault that the Eagles see him that way either.  He is what he is: A good possession receiver.  Nothing more, nothing less.

ice grillin you

he has five touchdowns this year and averages over 15 yards a catch...thats not a possesion receiver

he is a solid #2 nfl wr right now and has a chance to be a great #2

Rome

Actually, those stats make him a possession receiver precisely, IGY.

rjs246

He's an inconsistent player who they had locked up for a few more years. Why shell out now? I like Reggie too. He's a starting caliber player. But why sign him now, while he's in the middle of a season that has been so up and down? Why not wait until you know what you have? 10+ drops a year sucks and if that's going to be a constant, I wouldn't want him on the team for the better part of a decade.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

He's an inconsistent player who they had locked up for a few more years. Why shell out now?

because hes showed that he has the ability to become an excellent #2 guy...as opposed to someone like patterson who has showed pretty much nothing to warrant an extension...id rather lock up reggie now for the rest of his career and be set at that #2 wr spot for solid money than to let him get better while he approachs the end of his contract and then wants to get caked off reggie wayne style and the eagles are left with having to let someone go as the colts did with edgerrin james

seems like you would not ever extend anyone until they get near the end of their deal...i think the eagles go overboard on the extensiopns but i also think there are times when its warranted...because there are times when youre gonna run into a situation where they are now with lj...a guy whos developed into one of the better pass catching te's in the league and who probably is going to jet for big money and leave the eagles with matt schobel as their te next year