Main Menu

Its a mess

Started by Eagles 3x, November 08, 2006, 01:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: EagleFeva on November 08, 2006, 05:46:23 PM
Quote from: mussa on November 08, 2006, 05:41:24 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on November 08, 2006, 05:10:37 PM
Is it just me or were the receivers catching the ball just fine and mcnabb was leading the best/big play offense in the nfl until the recent meltdown?

its not about what they did in weeks 2-4 of any season....and they could come out this weekend and put 40 on the board and it wouldnt matter....the concern is can this kind of offense win a superbowl..and the answer is a resounding NO

Oh I couldn't agree more. I was just pointing out that were have the potential to be that big play offense. Reid is an idiot though and doesn't change up his playcalling for diff. teams/schemes etc...He just continues to be the most obvious playcaller in the NFL. Woe is Us.

They have more than potential... the Eagles DO have the big play offense.  The problem is that's all they have.  If there's not someone breaking a play for 60 yards on a scoring drive... the score doesn't happen.  They don't have the ability to sustain a methodical drive down the field.  Think about it.  When's the last time this offense had a double digit play scoring drive?

General_Failure

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 08, 2006, 05:06:27 PM
2nd and 10 = run.

3rd and 9 = draw.

They can be a clock controlling offense. The numbers show that Westbrook runs better with a blocker in front of him, and certainly better than Buck with no blocker. Even without a blocking TE, the offensive line is huge and able to mow over people. Without a  blocking TE or a FB, they're semi-useless. The fullback is nearly uninvolved in this offense, and that is unacceptable. Reid's got his 3 WR sets, his double TE sets, and he farging teased us with the Cole/Tapeh backfield in preseason. It worked, he saw it worked, and he threw it away. Why? To call more passes. The guy wants 45 passes a game, no matter how many plays the offense has.

Run Westbrook behind Tapeh on first down. Run Buck behind Tapeh on second down, or call a pass once in a while. Run Westbrook behind Tapeh in the event of a third down. Before you know it, the offense will have eaten seven minutes off the clock.

The man. The myth. The legend.

SD_Eagle5

I long for the days of the dink pass, those short but cheap 5 yard dinks over the middle that other teams use to exploit us would do wonders for this offense. That's not to say they should live and die by it but its a better option at 2nd and 8 than a 30 yard pass to Baskett is.

Munson

I think Andy Reid still thinks it's some big suprise to pass on first down, and then after the incompletion, run on 2nd and 10.

Uhhh...Andy....this doesn't shock anyone in the NFL. Just lettin you know. :yay
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

shorebird

Quote from: FFatPatt on November 08, 2006, 05:36:29 PM
Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 08, 2006, 05:06:27 PM
2nd and 10 = run.

My buddy attented the JAX game and said that on 2nd and long, the whole crowd was screaming "WESTBROOK UP THE MIDDLE!" because they knew it was coming.

He also said he saw some guys get kicked out after they held up the following signs:

Sign 1: "Bench the STILLUPFRONT*"
Sign 2: "Put in the HBIONIC*"

*If you have to ask, move along.

Thats the stupidest shtein I've heard in a while.  I don't care how bad he looked last game, you want the Eagles to really suck then put in noodle armed Garcia.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I didn't say I agreed with putting in Garcia or anything, but the situation is fairly amusing.

Some guys probably lost their seat licenses over that crap.

ice grillin you

eagles dead last in TOP in the nfl...not gonna get it done (admittedly the defense shoulders some of the blame)
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

When they start the game 7 minutes in the hole, yeah. The defense should get some of the blame.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Eaglez

The Eagles put themselves in way too many 2nd and long and 3rd and long.

I agree, the Eagles need more 4, 5, 6 yard dink passes. Maybe a run on first down, or a dink pass.

Most of the situations should be 2nd and 6, or 3rd and 2, 3, 4. Getting into those types of situations makes converting and keeping a drive alive all that more easier.

The Eagles, especially the last 3 games, have been getting into 2nd and 15, 3rd and 12, 10, 8, etc.

Not many teams, if any, are going to convert that consistently.

Plus, getting in short yardage situations allows the Eagles to possibly pick up a 1st down on some cheap penalties (offsides, or any of the other 5 yard variety penalties)

This offensive needs to be dummed down. Throw out all the trick plays, the change of direction plays, the USELESS play action, and just line up in a simple 3 wide or 2 TE set, mix in some 3, 5, and 7 step drops, and just throw nice underneath routes, pound the ball with runs up the middle, and then try some shots downfield.

I remember a few years back when everyone heralded the Giants for that big comeback and Super Bowl run. The whole Jim Fassel "I guarentee this team will go to the playoffs" year. They dummed down the offense, didn't try to trick anyone, and if I remember correctly were close to tops in the league in scoring, 3rd down conversions, and 1st downs by the end of the year. The Eagles need to implement a similar philosophy.

Taxt

Andry Reid has to go. I'm not one to run around like a madman screaming for the coach's head on a stick whenever things start to look bad, but I think it's that time. I know it won't happen though, definitely not during the season.

Andy Reid has a nice track record so I'd normally think "Ok, give him the rest of the season to see how it pans out" if this were a different coach in a different situation. And seeing as the Eagles aren't out of it yet, that's reasonable. But I'm fairly confident that I could call a game better than Andy Reid, after watching him all these years. And hell, I'm willing to do it for a lot cheaper than Andy too! I'll do it for free!

We'd all like to see a little more running. With Westbrooks talent, I get sick to my stomach watching them pass repeatedly. I don't care if he can't pound it up the middle (which I'm not so sure about), I don't care if he's not Tiki Barber. Westbrook's a superstar being held back. He's great at what he does, let him do it! Try a sweep to the left, you might like it Andy!

Today on Comcast, I heard a reporter say something along the lines of "I asked LJ Smith why he's a crappy run blocker, and he said that tight ends don't really block.. they just try to get in the way." That's sad, and we know it's not true. And as the reporter pointed out, LJ never would've said that if his coach actually gave a hoot about running, run blocking, etc. I definitely think the O line is good enough to run block, but with Andy Reid at the helm we'll never know. We'll never know unless they're actually commited to running. Oh how I miss the good ol' days, like when Deuce rushed for 200 against Dallas.

Defensively I think we'd be alright if we ran the ball, for all the obvious reasons (TOP, letting your D catch their breath and think for a second ) and that makes me even sicker.

As far as special teams go, why isn't Westbrook returning punts or kick offs? Or atleast someone with some explosion. I understand if they're using Westbrook a lot on O that you need to give the guy a break. But.. atleast let him return some in crucial parts of the game (remember that return against the Giants?  :'().

I may come across as a total Westbrook fanboy, but I'm not. I'm just beginning to hate Andy Reid. I loved Andy when were getting to the playoffs, and advancing. And I even blindly continued to love Andry last season. But looking back, I get that "What if someone else was coaching this team?" feeling. Would we have made it passed the championship games all them years where we were getting knocked out? Would we have won the super bowl? We had some nice teams at the time... oooooh what could've been. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Andy was a big reason we made it that far. I want to believe that, but I can't anymore.

I'm tired of thinking "What the farg is Andy doing? Well, he is the coach, he must know more than me. He must see something in the other team, or our team, that is holding us back from running."  ???

Since he isn't going to be getting fired soon, someone else needs to be in charge of playcalling, I don't care if it's McNabb, Jim Johnson, or some drunken fan.

What I'm really trying to get at here is.... RUN THE fargING BALL! farg, farg, farg.

Sorry for the long post that touches on absolutely nothing that you've all discussed already. I've been a long time lurking bastich of these forums, I just needed to vent. Thanks, and farg.

dis12

Quote from: SD_Eagle on November 08, 2006, 06:40:48 PM
I long for the days of the dink pass, those short but cheap 5 yard dinks over the middle that other teams use to exploit us would do wonders for this offense. That's not to say they should live and die by it but its a better option at 2nd and 8 than a 30 yard pass to Baskett is.

Oh, you're talkin' about a "west coast" offense.  That might claim to exist in Philly, but Andy's version is some kinda morphed WCO, and barely resembles the real thing.
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

ice grillin you

I heard a reporter say something along the lines of "I asked LJ Smith why he's a crappy run blocker, and he said that tight ends don't really block.. they just try to get in the way." That's sad, and we know it's not true. And as the reporter pointed out, LJ never would've said that if his coach actually gave a hoot about running

all you needed to look at to see that reid was not is not and will not put a running game in place was the schobel signing...they already have possibly the worst blocking TE in the nfl on the roster and they go out and sign the second worst?....i mean what does that say....christ the guy cant even have his back up TE be a blocker??
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

shorebird

Quote from: FFatPatt on November 08, 2006, 07:07:04 PM
I didn't say I agreed with putting in Garcia or anything, but the situation is fairly amusing.

Some guys probably lost their seat licenses over that crap.

As well they should. It's bad enough to think it, but to put it on a sign and hold it up amongst 10's of thousands is pure idiocy.

Let's get one thing straight, Andy Ried is not going to get fired, so why can't everyone just stop bitching about it? It's pointless. It's almost as bad as saying the season is over half way through the schedule.

Look at the Giants. Strahan is out for the year. Toomer is out for the year. Plaxico Burries has been bothered by back spasms almost all year and is questionable. Total, they have 10 players listed as injured. This is not a healthy team. They let Houston stay in the game last Sunday into the third quarter. A first place team in the much improved NFC East(bullshtein by the way), should be able to put a team like the Texans away, but they couldn't.

Dallas got beat by the then 2-6 taterskins. Are the Skins that good?? Hell no, the Cowboys are that bad and inconsistant. All the hype about TO and then the punkbitch drops a td pass right in his hands. I do think Dallas plays better the rest of the season, but with a cancer like TO, I don't see them going to the playoffs.

Look at the Giants schedule:
Bears
Jags
Titans
Cowboys
Panthers
Eagles
Saints
Skins

They could very well lose 4 of these games. Bears, Jags, Panthers, and Saints.

I don't think this season is as much a mess as everyone else does. I can't believe some of the stuff I read here. Rayburn is a pile of crap, and Ritchie is the next OC for the Eagles? Thats laughable.

The Eagles are far from out of this.

Susquehanna Birder

That stuff left with Brad Childress. The Morningwood era is big-play time.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 09, 2006, 07:15:48 AM

That stuff left with Brad Childress. The Morningwood era is big-play time.

Andy's still calling the plays though, right?