Mike Patterson To Be Extended?

Started by PhillyPhreak54, November 01, 2006, 02:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

I'll put it this way:  I don't think the Eagles would extend anyone they otherwise wouldn't; but I do think that the timing of the announcement represents a more holistic communication strategy than just coincidence, in general.

MURP

well what date do they have to resign guys by to get some loot under this years cap?

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MURP on November 01, 2006, 12:56:03 PM
well what date do they have to resign guys by to get some loot under this years cap?

It's usually November 10 or so, I believe.  They signed Westbrook and Akers on the 6th and 7th, respectively, last year.

Rome

Quote from: Zanshin on November 01, 2006, 12:19:30 PM
I'll put it this way:  I don't think the Eagles would extend anyone they otherwise wouldn't; but I do think that the timing of the announcement represents a more holistic communication strategy than just coincidence, in general.

WTF?   ???

Zanshin

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Zanshin on November 01, 2006, 03:53:56 PM
Which word was hard for you?

I think the adjective 'holistic' being used to describe the noun 'communication' is the issue.

Zanshin

Actually it was referring to the holistic strategy...the communication piece was even more descriptive.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Susquehanna Birder

We're talking Jeff and Joe's beer money here.

dis12

Quote from: Dillen37 on November 02, 2006, 03:07:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2647220

Extended. 7 years $32M.
that's a lotta cash to sign a 2nd-year defensive player....especially one that can't stop the run.
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

ice grillin you

i could see if your other tackle was darwin walker and you wanted to make sure that you have at least one young solid tackle locked up...but they have a top 15 rookie dt draft pick next to him.....why dont we wait and see how it plays out for another year or two...to maybe see if bunkley progresses and laps patterson thus deserving his own big extention...to see if patterson improves to the point of wanting to extend him like this...

perhaps they see a lot more in patterson than i do and expect him to get a lot better....at least i hope thats the case
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

LBIggle

i see no point.  he hasn't exactly been a world beater this year.

PoopyfaceMcGee

It's a great deal for the Eagles if Patterson improves at all and not a bad one if he continues playing about the same as he has been.  There's still plenty of room for Bunkley to "lap" him and for the Eagles to pay him if it happens, but don't hold your breath.  Kid hasn't had a solo tackle since week 4.

dis12

from ESPN:
QuoteAt 5 feet, 11 inches tall, Mike Patterson didn't tower over other top defensive tackles available in the 2005 draft, but now he can say he towers over his draft class financially.

In a rare move (read as weird for a supposed "cheap" FO), Patterson agreed to a contract extension with the Philadelphia Eagles 24 games into his NFL career. The Eagles extended their 2005 first-round choice by rewarding him with a seven-year, $32 million extension that could be worth $37 million based on incentives and escalators.

The key to the deal, though, was $9 million in guarantees.

What makes this contract unique is that he's only 24 games into his rookie contract. In July, 2005, Patterson signed a five-year, $6.625 million contract that included $3.825 million in guarantees. By signing this extension, Patterson locked himself into $12.825 million in guarantees before his third year.
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***