Kearse placed on IR. Dustin Fox promoted.

Started by The BIGSTUD, September 19, 2006, 03:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feva

Good news on the Kearse front.

QuoteDamage to Kearse's knee not as bad as first feared

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

In the wake of reports that the left knee injury suffered by the Philadelphia Eagles' Jevon Kearse on Sept. 17 included tears to three of four ligaments and ancillary involvement termed "severe," the star defensive end underwent surgery Thursday that revealed the damage was not nearly so catastrophic and that the rehabilitation for the eighth-year veteran will not be as daunting as originally anticipated.

In fact, the only repair made by renowned Miami-based orthopedic surgeon Dr. John Uribe during the Thursday procedure was to the lateral meniscus cartilage. In terms of what was reported about the injury in the days after it occurred, the meniscus damage is considered relatively benign.

Kearse did suffer a fracture to his left tibia, but that injury required only casting, not surgery.

Uribe did not have to address the ligaments, the kneecap or quadriceps at all during the procedure.

"So we're probably talking, according to Dr. Uribe, about a 12-week rehabilitation period," agent Drew Rosenhaus told ESPN.com on Thursday night. "That still means Jevon would not have been able to play again, under the best circumstances, until the very end of the season. So I can't fault the Eagles for putting him on injured reserve and ending his season. But certainly, for everyone concerned, this is great news. It means he should be back on the field next spring for all of the offseason conditioning."

Kearse was injured late in the second game of the season, an overtime loss to the New York Giants, and Eagles officials feared catastrophic damage to the knee.

Broadcast and published reports indicated that Kearse had suffered a complete tear of the medial collateral ligament, partial tears of the lateral collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments, a dislocated kneecap, a torn knee capsule, a strained quadriceps tendon and a strained hamstring.

In light of those reports, there were intimations that, because of the severity of the injury, an extended recovery period, and Kearse's scheduled base salary of $5.2 million for 2007 and lofty salary cap charge, Philadelphia might release him. That likely won't be the case, however, given Thursday's results.

In his two appearances this season, Kearse had notched 3 ½ sacks and appeared well on his way to his first double-digit sack campaign since 2001, when he was with the Tennessee Titans. After the Eagles recorded only 29 sacks in 2005, defensive coordinator Jim Johnson vowed to re-energize the team's pass rush, and the utilization of Kearse in a variety of roles was part of that plan.

With Kearse sidelined, right end Darren Howard has moved to the left side and second-year veteran Trent Cole joined the lineup at right end. Philadelphia is tied for the league lead in sacks, with 16.

Kearse, 30, was the Titans' first-round choice in the 1999 draft, was named defensive rookie of the year that season, and registered 36 sacks his first three years before injuries curtailed his production. In his first two years in Philadelphia -- which signed him as an unrestricted free agent in 2004, awarding him a contract that made him the NFL's highest-paid end at the time -- Kearse had 7 ½ sacks each season.

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Magical_Retard

dont know how it will pan out but good news.
Marge: I have someone who can help you!
Homer: Is it BATMAN!!??
Marge: No hes a scientist
Homer: Batman is a scientist.
Marge: Its not BATMAN!

General_Failure

I can't wait until the next report. I love seeing what new stuff they can say about his knee every day.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

thats the same medical staff that gave the inside scoop on TOs ankle injury, right?
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

rjs246

Quote from: Drunkmasterflex on September 28, 2006, 09:37:31 AM
Quote from: rjs246 on September 28, 2006, 01:35:34 AM
Whether he's ready for camp or not will have absolutely zero impact on the Eagles. We've seen the last of Javon Kearse.

Why do you say that? You don't think he may restructure his contract?

No. Why would he do that? To make less money? Not likely.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Munson

If Trent Cole proves that he can be an every down guy and not wear down...then I'm not too worried about Kearse's future in the long run.

But, if he is gone next year, that means another first day pick will be spent on a DE, unless they pick someone up in FA.

So with Hood and Kearse not coming back next year...that's two first day picks devoted to defense. There goes everyone's hope for a big back.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

Anyone that seriously expect this team to draft a any RB over 215 lbs on the first day of the draftneeds to be taken out back and be put down.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

Munson

Quote from: General_Failure on September 29, 2006, 02:10:26 AM
Anyone that seriously expect this team to draft a any RB over 215 lbs on the first day of the draftneeds to be taken out back and be put down.

And yet....we'll have to deal with those people come draft day.  :boom
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD_Eagle5

Thats about as good of news as one could hope for. After watching his knee bend and the fact that he was battling dehydration its a minor miracle that there was nothing more seriuosly wrong with him.

rjs246

Quote from: SD_Eagle on September 29, 2006, 06:50:25 AM
Thats about as good of news as one could hope for. After watching his knee bend and the fact that he was battling dehydration its a minor miracle that there was nothing more seriuosly wrong with him.

That's another thing I don't understand about NFL teams. They pay millions of dollars for their players. They pay millions more to have the most advanced medical personel and equipment available to them for training and treatment. They have large medical staffs on duty for each and every game. And yet somehow, these professional atheltes who have been playing sports their entire lives get dehydrated. How does that happen?! You don't need a doctor to be hovering over you to know how to keep yourself hydrated or to realize the importance of hydration when competing. Every 10 year old who has ever played baseball/soccer/any sport knows that they need to stay hydrated, but grown men with a full time medical staff surrounding them can't keep themselves from drying out?! Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Wingspan

Quote from: Munson on September 29, 2006, 01:42:42 AM
If Trent Cole proves that he can be an every down guy and not wear down...then I'm not too worried about Kearse's future in the long run.

But, if he is gone next year, that means another first day pick will be spent on a DE, unless they pick someone up in FA.

So with Hood and Kearse not coming back next year...that's two first day picks devoted to defense. There goes everyone's hope for a big back.

the problem here is that there is not one eagle that plays on the D Line or as a Linebacker that can play every down. from camp on...they are conditioned to rotate in and out.

which is why all any team has to do is go no huddle and jim johnsons defense is beatable, because no one is conditioned on this team to play 4 or 5 plays in a row.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.