Supplemental Draft

Started by phattymatty, July 13, 2006, 01:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

This confuses me.  I think there are only like 7 players eligible or something like that.  the whole point of it seems kind of useless.  why can't they just sign with a team as an undrafted free agent? 

anyway, I would use a fourth-fifth round pick on Ahmad Brooks.

SunMo

is that the linebacker from Virginia?  if so, I agree, he could take Trotter's place in a year or two.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

Quote from: phattymatty on July 13, 2006, 01:00:57 PM
why can't they just sign with a team as an undrafted free agent? 

it's part of the agreement that have with the ncaa. otherwise there would be no need for a draft.

i beleive you have to enter the draft at any point before your 24th birthday. these players werent draft eligible for one reason or another in april, but are now, and cannot go back to the NCAA...so to make things equal, you can get drafted now.

if these rules werent here, and player can withhold from the draft and sign anywhere they want.

so they can enter a the supplimental draft, or wait a year. but they have to be drafted or at least be subjected to being drafted. .
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

MURP

Brooks has some serious character issues, so I guess it goes without saying it would be surprising if Reid took him.   Unless of course you believe that after the selection of Justice that Reid is open to things of that nature now. 

BigEd76

It's for people that still had academic eligibility but can't (won't?) go back to school because of academic or discipline issues.  You can't just avoid the regular April draft and sign with someone....basically the "Bernie Kosar" rules...

FOXSports.com did a list of the top 5 best and top 5 worst supplemental picks.  The last supplemental picks to make an impact were from 8 years ago (Jamal Williams and Mike Wahle)...

MURP

here is some additional background:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

QuoteSupplemental drafts got started in 1977 when Al Hunter, a running back from Notre Dame, was declared scholastically ineligible to play college football. Essentially, Hunter had nowhere to play except for the NFL. So instead of waiting until the 1978 NFL Draft, the league chose to have an extra draft just for him.

Since then, numerous players have been available in the supplemental draft for a bevy of reasons. Ultimately, if a player was no longer eligible to play on the college level and missed the deadline for the NFL Draft, he could be picked here.

Here's how it worked: The NFL would pull names out of a hat to determine the draft order. They would then go down the list, offering each team the chance to make a selection. A team got the chance every round to make its pick. If a team made a pick, they had to forfeit a pick in the subsequent draft -- the bigger draft with the college players. Sometimes, rounds would go by where nobody made a pick. Sometimes the entire draft would go by without a player being picked.

phattymatty

Quote from: Wingspan on July 13, 2006, 01:05:22 PM
it's part of the agreement that have with the ncaa. otherwise there would be no need for a draft.

i beleive you have to enter the draft at any point before your 24th birthday. these players werent draft eligible for one reason or another in april, but are now, and cannot go back to the NCAA...so to make things equal, you can get drafted now.

if these rules werent here, and player can withhold from the draft and sign anywhere they want.

so they can enter a the supplimental draft, or wait a year. but they have to be drafted or at least be subjected to being drafted. .

i guess that makes sense.  i didn't realize that they were people who lost eligibility between the draft and now.

ice grillin you

they dont even have had to lose eligibility...its for anyone who wants to declare for the nfl for any reason

eagles took cris carter in the supp draft
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

BTW, Brooks was kicked out of UVA for failing multiple drug tests for marijuana, and according to Miami.com, he was at 290 two months ago but is down to 260.  I don't think there's any chance in hell Reid takes him...

ice grillin you

brooks has injury issues as well...id be surprised if anyone took him
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

I bet the Phins get him with a 3rd, they used one on Wright last year.... :'(
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Zanshin

I really can't see him going before the 4th, all things considered.  Maybe later.

Dillen

PFT said Bengals took him with a 3rd rounder.

SunMo

wow, they really learned their lesson about drafting guys with character issues
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

MURP

yeah really.

PFT is gonna have fun with this one.