Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident

Started by MURP, June 12, 2006, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 12, 2006, 05:11:53 PM
I heard that his right arm was torn off in the accident, but Roethlisberger re-attached it himself using bailing wire, and it will be fine by the start of trianing camp.

McRoethlisguyburger

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 12, 2006, 03:31:45 PM
How could anyone be stupid enough to ride a motorcycle without a helmet?

(Note: Not sure if this applies to PA, but a few years ago they took out the mandatory helmet rule for motorcyclists in Florida. The rider has to have proof of a certain level of injury insurance- not sure how much- in order to be "legal" to ride without a helmet, but of course, who's going to check for that insurance, at least until after an accident turns their brains into mush.)

PA reinstated a no helmet law maybe 2 or 3 years ago but I'm not sure if they have to provide a certain amount of insurance in order to ride without a lid. 

Geowhizzer

I have to laugh that at the same time more and more restrictions are being placed on drivers in the name of safety, the main one for motorcycle riders has been removed.

That said, law or no law, riding without a helmet is one of the most stupid things that a person could do.

The BIGSTUD

Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 12, 2006, 05:47:30 PM
I have to laugh that at the same time more and more restrictions are being placed on drivers in the name of safety, the main one for motorcycle riders has been removed.

That said, law or no law, riding without a helmet is one of the most stupid things that a person could do.

I was quite surprised when I heard that PA 86'd their helmet law simply for the fact that PA is a fairly conservative state.  I personally don't have a problem with it.  When you get on a bike you're already facing a major death risk with or without the helmet so if you want to ride without one then that's on you, not me. 

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

PoopyfaceMcGee

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Bunkley78 on June 12, 2006, 05:05:01 PM
CONFLICTING REPORTS ON ROETHLISBERGER
The Tribune-Review reports that Big Ben has, among other things, two serious knee injuries.  The Post-Gazette reports that the team is "encouraged" by reports from Mercy Hospital, and former teammate Jerome Bettis said that he's been told that Ben will be fine.

The bottom line is that the doctors said first that the injuries to both of his knees were "very severe" and and then the team came out and said that those reports were exaggerated. I'm in Pittsburgh and little else was discussed by anyone today.

Rome

Description          

PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG for what I am selling.

I hope to god Big Ben is OK, I am praying for him.

Here is what I have, I live in the Ohio Valley and work in Pittsburgh.

Coming home today I got held up at the 10th street overpass when I got out to see what happened.

After hearing people talk it turns out Ben  Roethlisberger  had been in a serious car vs Bike wreck.

Ben was getting loaded into an ambulance and while watching the emergency personel working I bent over and picked up some items off the ground.

I cant gaurantee the items but they were very very close to the wrecked vehicles.

I have what looks to be a motorcycle chain, and something else from a bike.

Sold as-is

Ben I hope everything turns out ok.

Best Ebay auction ever.   :-D

Rome

Eagles players offer their comments on the crash...

QuoteEagles React To Cycle Crash

June 12, 2006
By ZACH BERMAN

While the Eagles were practicing on Monday, news broke that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was in a motorcycle accident. In an immediate rush to localize the story, reporters sequestered the Eagles - both players who ride motorcycles and those who don't - to gauge their reaction to the crash.

The immediate reactions from the players were well wishes to Roethlisberger, who despite being an intra-state rival, is part of the fraternity of NFL players. But there was also a faction of players who defended the activity of riding motorcycles but admonished riding without a helmet, which Roethlisberger was reportedly doing.

"Accidents happen no matter what you do," kicker David Akers said. "You try to take the best precautions. It's a shame, and all you can do is hope for a guy who goes through this. But he has to be careful. In that position, you have to look at the owners as well. They invest a lot of money in us to be able to go out there and perform."

DE Jevon Kearse prefers water sports to motorcycles
Akers, who grew up riding motorcycles, said he gave up the practice when he signed his last contract. While he said he'll probably continue riding at some point, his decision was based on considerations to his family and clauses in his contract.

It was a personal decision for Akers, and that's what Eagles cornerback Sheldon Brown said it should be. Brown, who rides motorcycles and four-wheelers, says he wears his helmet, but doesn't feel right telling a player what they should or should not do in regards to a motorcycle.

"You can't ask a guy to quit his whole life," Brown said. "No one can tell him what to do. We have a lot of guys in this league who make their own decisions, whether it be riding a motorcycle or whatever they do."

Brown said he's the type of player who thinks it's not going to happen to him, and although every person seems to think that way, he insists he takes the necessary precautions to avoid accident or injury.

"I'm the kind of guy who respects the bike," Brown said. "Hopefully the guys out there on the road respect me on the bike."

Brown's locker is right next to safety Quintin Mikell, who identified the other drivers on the road as the people who motorcycle riders have to worry about.

"There's a lot of bad drivers out there, particularly when you're on a bike," Mikell said. "You find there are a lot of bad drivers who aren't looking and don't know what's going on. So just me seeing that, I am a little surprised by that. But he's a man; he can choose what he chooses to do."

The issue of professional athletes riding a motorcycle has escalated in recent years after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow II was sidelined for the season after a motorcycle accident last off-season and NBA guard Jay Williams stalled his young career after his rookie season in 2003. Williams hasn't played professional basketball since the accident.

One person the Eagles don't have to worry about driving a motorcycle, though, is franchise quarterback Donovan McNabb. McNabb met with a pool of reporters in the locker room after practice and said he doesn't drive motorcycles and doesn't plan to start.

"Maybe a scooter when it only goes like 40 miles an hour or 60 miles an hour, but with my body weight, it wouldn't even go that fast," McNabb said. "It's dangerous to do anything, but I don't know how to ride. And if you don't know how to ride, why get on?"

Beermonkey

Quote from: QB Eagles on June 12, 2006, 08:02:31 PM
The bottom line is that the doctors said first that the injuries to both of his knees were "very severe" and and then the team came out and said that those reports were exaggerated. I'm in Pittsburgh and little else was discussed by anyone today.

:-D It went from irreparable knee damage to "...we squirted some Bactine on it, slapped on a Curad & sent him on his way."

Diomedes

Seven hours later, he's out of surgery. 

link

QuotePITTSBURGH -- Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash Monday in which he was not wearing a helmet.
Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition following seven hours surgery that ended at approximately 9 p.m. ET, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, Chief of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Mercy Hospital. His condition is not expected to change throughout the evening, Pituch said at a news conference.

"He suffered multiple facial fractures," Pituch said. "All of the fractures were successfully repaired. His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury. And there are no other confirmed injuries at this time."

ESPN.com's John Clayton has confirmed that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, has lost or chipped a number of teeth and has minor injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement. A plastic surgeon has been called in.

A broken jaw normally takes seven weeks to heal. It is not known how long it will take for the other injuries to heal.

More at link, with pic of bike on trailer. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

PFT is accepting nickname suggestions for him.

Ben Toothlessberger and Ben Roethlisbarbaro are the only two mentioned so far.