Roethlisberger in motorcycle accident

Started by MURP, June 12, 2006, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MURP

link

QuoteReport: Big Ben Injured In Motorcycle Accident

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH City dispatchers have confirmed a motorcycle accident along the 10th Street Bridge; andt the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is now reporting that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in the crash.

The accident happened around 11:30am at the intersection with Second Avenue.

The victim has been taken to Mercy Hospital.

At this point, officials are not yet commenting on the victim's condition -- or confirmed the identity of the person injured in the accident.

4and26

Wonder if he has conditions in his contract that says you will not be stupid, you will not sky dive, you will not ride a motor bike??  Hope he's OK but it could cost him some  :deion

Feva

Somewhere... Kellen Winslow, Jr. is smiling.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PhillyGirl

Wasn't the motorcycle an issue with him in the past? I remember Chin and the owners were trying to get him to not ride it or something?
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Geowhizzer

When I clicked on MURP's link, the story had been updated:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have now confirmed that Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident on Second Avenue, near the intersection with the 10th Street Bridge.

The accident happened around 11:30am.

According to an eyewitness, he was not wearing a helmet when he flew over the handlebars and hit his head on the windshield of a car. The witness tells KDKA he said his name was Ben and seemed groggy.

She says he was bleeding from his head.

He has been taken to Mercy Hospital.

At this point, officials are not yet commenting on the victim's condition.

Drunkmasterflex

According to the radio he wasn't wearing a helmet.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

PhillyGirl

From 5/2005

QuoteUneasy rider: Roethlisberger not getting off motorcycle

By ALAN ROBINSON
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - Despite Kellen Winslow Jr.'s accident and his own coach's admonition, Big Ben isn't hopping off his big bike just yet.

Ben Roethlisberger was lectured Friday by Steelers coach Bill Cowher on the dangers of riding a motorcycle without a helmet - as Roethlisberger has been spotted doing recently - but the quarterback isn't ready to get off his $20,000 cycle.

"He talked about being a risktaker and I'm not really a risktaker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said as the Steelers opened their minicamp. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Asked why he doesn't wear a helmet - something he wouldn't think about doing on a football field - Roethlisberger pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended two years ago.

"Obviously Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to (wear a helmet)," he said. "There's a law you've got to wear it in football."

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter was surprised to hear the NFL offensive rookie of the year is taking such risks so soon after Winslow's accident. The Browns' tight end, drafted five spots ahead of Roethlisberger last year, was injured Sunday when he flew off a newly purchased motorcycle after running it into a parking lot curb.

"Some guys are real good on motorcycles and know what they're doing, but accidents happen," Porter said. "I can't the knock the guy for doing it, but it's probably not the wisest thing to do. I don't own a bike because I don't trust them."

Porter occasionally gets on a Jet Ski, but he said that's different from steering a motorcycle through heavy traffic. Roethlisberger acknowledged many drivers become distracted when they see him riding, shouting or waving at him.

"If I fall off a Jet Ski, I hit the water, and I like my odds," Porter said. "I'm going to get wet. What I say about motorcycles is that concrete is undefeated."

Of course, Roethlisberger was, too, as a rookie, going 13-0 during the Steelers' team-record 15-1 regular season before losing to New England in the AFC championship game.

The Steelers are understandably cautious about combining a first-round draft choice and a high-speed vehicle. Gabe Rivera, the defensive lineman they chose instead of quarterback Dan Marino in the 1983 draft, was paralyzed after wrecking his sports car midway through his rookie season and has not walked since.

Many NFL contracts prohibit engaging in dangerous activities, but Roethlisberger's deal apparently does not specifically ban motorcycle riding.

Cowher didn't criticize Roethlisberger's riding, but is visibly uneasy with it.

"I certainly don't condone that," Cowher said. "It (playing pro football) is a very small time in your life and you've got to be very careful - you can see it documented with Kellen Winslow in Cleveland. There are choices and consequences ... not just in riding motorcycles, but where you go and who you associate with. You have control over them but once you make your decision, they control you."

Meanwhile, all players reported to the minicamp, unlike a year ago when wide receiver Plaxico Burress was a no-show. Burress was unhappy at not being offered a contract extension, but publicly blamed the decision to hold the three-day minicamp during Mother Day's weekend.

Cowher was reminded of that Friday by several players.

"I told them that's why they have phones," Cowher said. "They can call their mom and wish them a happy Mother's Day."

The minicamp is the formal start to the final month of the Steelers' offseason workouts. Most players will remain in town through mid-June for "coaching sessions," daily workouts that technically are voluntary but usually are fully attended.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

This story would be so much juicier if he didn't already have a Super Bowl win.

PhillyGirl

From 5/2005:

QuoteLike Roethlisberger, Maddox rides motorcycle without helmet

Wednesday, May 18, 2005
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It turns out Tommy Maddox has more things in common with Ben Roethlisberger than playing quarterback for the Steelers. Maddox also rides a Harley-Davidson motorcycle without wearing a helmet.

Maddox said while he does offer counsel to the quarterback who took his starting job from him, it would be difficult to recommend he wear a helmet when he rides.

"I don't wear one either," Maddox said. "I've ridden one for four years, and it was no big deal until what's-his-face wrecked."

Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow had knee and internal damage when he was thrown as his Suzuki struck a curb in a parking lot May 1.

"I don't try to do tricks on it in the parking lot," said Maddox, who rides a Road King Classic.

Coach Bill Cowher spoke to Roethlisberger about the risks of riding a motorcycle without a helmet, but did not have the same talk with Maddox because he might not have known about it.

"Everybody's had bikes for a long time, and one guy wrecks and everybody makes a huge deal out of it," said Maddox, 33. "I've got a bike, everybody rides. One guy's doing tricks in the parking lot and wrecks, and all of a sudden it's a front-page story.

"You have to look at life, obviously you have to be smart, and I try to be smart because I have a wife and two kids, not because I'm playing a game. I want to be there for my kids growing up and my wife. You do understand there's consequences to your actions, not only on motorcycles, but that's how you live your life."

Maddox was riding high with the Steelers two years ago when he was their popular starting quarterback after he earned the NFL comeback player of the year in 2002. He, too, was setting records here. But the drafting of Ben Roethlisberger last year, an elbow injury to Maddox in the second game and the best rookie performance in the history of the NFL by Roethlisberger changed all that.

What it hasn't changed is Maddox's desire to start. He realizes it probably will not happen with the Steelers unless Roethlisberger is hurt, and he says he does not want that. He thinks a trade someday is possible, something he thought might happen during the draft last month.

"Going through the draft, you never knew if they really wanted somebody, if I was on the board as trade material," Maddox said. "But I think people know who I am and how I am; I'm not going to go to them and demand anything. I'm going to play as hard as I can and do the things I want to do. If they decide it's best to move me, then I'm going to go somewhere else and play as hard as I can."

Maddox's contract is attractive for the Steelers if he remains their backup or if they want to trade him. He will earn $750,000 in salary and count $1.35 million against their cap this season. Next year, they must pay him a $100,000 roster bonus March 1, and a $900,000 salary and he will count $1.7 million against their cap. He would count $1.9 million in 2007.

By re-signing Charlie Batch this spring, the Steelers hedged their bets for a backup quarterback if they trade Maddox.

Maddox said he would not ask for a trade "right now."

"I think that's something that's kind of out of my control. I'm going to make the best out of what situation I'm in and, if the situation changes, I'm going to make the best out of that."

Once a backup to Kordell Stewart, Maddox knows how to play the role but he does not know how to accept it.

"I don't think you ever accept it. If you accept it, then hang it up and go play golf. I want to be the guy out there playing. I truly in my heart of hearts know my best football's still ahead of me. I feel like I'm getting better and better every day."

Maddox set team records with 519 passing attempts and 298 completions in 2003, when he started every game and was voted a team captain. His 3,414 yards passing that season are second most in club history. The Steelers rewarded him with a $2 million signing bonus in June for him to extend his contract through 2007.

While he says he loves Pittsburgh and playing for the Steelers, Maddox knows it's unlikely he will fulfill his wish of starting again here unless Roethlisberger gets hurt.

"I'm 33 years old and feel good and feel young, and guys are playing longer and longer, especially at this position," Maddox said. "We've seen in the past that in their mid-30s there have been guys at this position start playing pretty good. I'm excited about the future."

Rome

If he wasn't wearing a helmet, he's a farging dumbass who got what was coming to him.

Father Demon

The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

PhillyGirl

QuoteEarly indications are injuries not life-threatening
ESPN.com news services

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was involved in a motorcycle accident in Pittsburgh on Monday morning.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service.

Witnesses told authorities that the player's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

4and26

Quote from: MDS on June 12, 2006, 12:43:55 PM
Why couldnt this be Terrell Owens?

:-D  I don't think it would change his personality   :-D

ice grillin you

my pittsburgh sources say its a broken jaw and concussion
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous