Who do you think is going in the First to the Birds?

Started by xtacy1238, April 09, 2006, 02:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 26, 2006, 09:52:37 PM
Reading all of this shtein about Randle El and PhillyForever's posts makes my head want to explode. I just had to talk my brain out of it.

But... 4 is more than 2!  And we have 4 defensive backs but only 2 defensive tackles!  FLAWLESS LOGIC!

The BIGSTUD

My logic was that if you get a pass rush it helps the secondary. Making Considine at FS perfectly fine if Dawkins has to leave. I honestly can't believe you tried to argue that Huff would help this team more than Bunkley or Ngata. I mean you can't be frickin serious.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 26, 2006, 10:01:31 PM
My logic was that if you get a pass rush it helps the secondary. Making Considine at FS perfectly fine if Dawkins has to leave. I honestly can't believe you tried to argue that Huff would help this team more than Bunkley or Ngata. I mean you can't be frickin serious.

Oh yeah?

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 26, 2006, 05:30:14 PM
A free safety is ONE player in a defensive backfield that has 4 players.

2 DTs play on a defensive line. It's less of an issue to have one question mark in the secondary than one at DT.

You can get by with questions in the secondary if you have a pass rush. Without a pass rush even Dawkins and Lewis look like shtein. Look at last year. Pass rush is the #1 priority. Then you work at the secondary.

I can't make stuff this funny up.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 26, 2006, 10:01:31 PM

Dude no one knows what Considine is capable of at this point.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

The BIGSTUD

He doesn't have to be capable. You can get by with an average to below average defensive backfield if your defensive line is very good.

The Panthers did it in 2003.

QuoteI can't make stuff this funny up.

What I meant was the secondary is a conensus group. You can have one zesty player in your secondary and it still be a great unit. Even if Considine sucks as a safety, I don't even think you'd notice if we had a pass rush.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 26, 2006, 10:07:39 PM
He doesn't have to be capable. You can get by with an average to below average defensive backfield if your defensive line is very good.

The Panthers did it in 2003.

QuoteI can't make stuff this funny up.

What I meant was the secondary is a conensus group. You can have one zesty player in your secondary and it still be a great unit. Even if Considine sucks as a safety, I don't even think you'd notice if we had a pass rush.

I understand your point but if Considine really sucks it will have an impact.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

The BIGSTUD

That's where I disagree. I think even if he totally blows, if you have a defensive line of Kearse, Bunkley/Ngata, Patterson, Howard with Walker, Rayburn, Cole, McDougle in the rotation, it wouldn't have an impact at all.

But still this is jumping way way far ahead. That is assuming if Dawkins leaves, that we don't replace him. This team values safeties, so I'm very confident they'd get someone in here to replace him, but once the time comes. That time is not now.

Displaced

Watched the '05 Texas @ Ohio State game on ESPNU and I gotta tell ya I don't mind if the Eagles end up with any of OSU's Top dogs in the first round my draft weekend will be OK.

I don't care if they trade back and get Mangold.  Dude is a tactition that really explodes off the ball to get position and leverage on the defender and take him out of the play.
Also, his weight is not an issue for me.  The guy is 6'4".  He easilly has the frame to put on 15-20lbs.

I don't gare if they trade back and take Carpenter.  Kid is all over the field very disruptive and has good size.

I don't mind if they pull off a bolckbuster and get Hawk.  Guy is a beast and an incredible athlete.

I don't mind if they stay put and get Holmes.  He can catch the ball in traffic and he has the smarts to come back to his Qb when he is trouble and has to move out of the pocket.

Drunkmasterflex

I am with you on that except I don't want Mangold at 15, as a PSU fan I hate OSU but as an Eagles fan I would be very happy with a player from OSU.

Displaced

All of those guys played at an extremely high level.  Those two linebackers reminded me of the Pats  LBs of a couple years back.

The BIGSTUD

I know people here say they don't like Holmes but I do. His size just scares me. A receiver under 6'0 in this offense.  :-\

I'd rather have Jackson. He's got the tools to be a stud. I've seen him pull down some really nice grabs.

Displaced

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 26, 2006, 11:56:00 PM
I know people here say they don't like Holmes but I do. His size just scares me. A receiver under 6'0 in this offense.  :-\

I'd rather have Jackson. He's got the tools to be a stud. I've seen him pull down some really nice grabs.

I hear ya on the Jackson thing.  I love the idea of a guy with his size and speed.  The fact that the offense he came from emphasized the short passing game suggests to me that he may be the more complete of the two because of his measureables combined with his experience.

The BIGSTUD

This WR thing has me so anxious though. It can go so many different ways.

-- We trade for Walker
-- We trade up in the first round using either a 2nd or 3rd making our options at WR even more limited.
-- We stay put and take a WR
-- We trade down take a player, and then look for a WR with another pick or use that extra pick to try to get Walker.

I just hope we get out of day one with a WR that can play opposite Brown. If not...  :boom

PoopyfaceMcGee

Again, whatever WR they draft will only start immediately if Gaffney completely busts and/or Pinkston is not back from injury.  Otherwise, you'll see Brown/Pinkston/Gaffney in 3 WR sets, with Gaffney and Pinkston alternating in on different 2 WR packages.  I don't care if they drafted Jesus Himself to play WR.  They aren't starting a rookie unless injuries deplete them big-time... especially not one from this class.

And why are you so afraid of a receiver 6'0" or less in "this offense"?  Hell, the WCO was practically designed for the guy that can turn the underneath route into a home run (a la Steve Smith).  T.O. was an exception.  Big receivers usually don't have that kind of fluidity and game speed.

My thinking is they will already have plenty of size in the receivers in the red zone if that's what they want with the 2 TE's and either McMullen or McCants (one of them will make the team).  Brown is a big guy compared to most DB's too.

Height isn't everything.

ice grillin you

Again, whatever WR they draft will only start immediately if Gaffney completely busts and/or Pinkston is not back from injury.  Otherwise, you'll see Brown/Pinkston/Gaffney in 3 WR sets, with Gaffney and Pinkston alternating in on different 2 WR packages.  I don't care if they drafted Jesus Himself to play WR.  They aren't starting a rookie unless injuries deplete them big-time... especially not one from this class.

another reason i like moss....while he is learning the war and peace playbook for the next four years he can contribute on special teams...and hes a guy that can make an impact on the field via reverses or other specialty plays that take advantage of his superior athleticism
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous