Who do you think is going in the First to the Birds?

Started by xtacy1238, April 09, 2006, 02:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 24, 2006, 11:39:05 PM
So wouldn't you prefer our 3 best picks be on our 3 best needs?

Absolutely not.  That's called "drafting for need" or "not sticking to your value board".  It's a good way to put together a really crappy draft.  What you need to do is see all the positions that you'd like to address with top-line talent anywhere in the next 2-3 seasons.  For the Eagles, those positions are OL (across the board), DL (across the board), LB (MIKE AND SAM), Safety, CB (nickle), and WR in no particular order.

So, if you have a guy rated the highest on your board, and he plays ANY of those positions, drafting him makes sense.  Now, if you feel there's a guy available that can be a first-year starter and grades out only a notch or two below your top guy, maybe you explore trade-down opportunities or consider taking the other guy anyway.  Either way, you can't stray too far off your value board, or you're drafting poorly.

Rome

Say what you will about the Eagles under Reid/Heckert but their previous drafts have proven that they rarely make a huge stretch (althought they did last year with McCoy, IMO) and they usually stick to drafting the best player available on their board regardless of position.

I think that's why they've had some pretty successful drafts over the past few years. 

When teams start drafting based on positional needs, they get themselves in trouble.

Just draft the best player available unless the position the players plays at is unquestionably filled by a starter and capable backups.

Since there's no clear-cut SAM available where the Eagles draft @ 14, they should stick to the plan and take the best player available regardless of position.  Hopefully a player will be there that will help them in a position of need.  If not, they should trade down and acquire more picks in the 2nd and/or 3rd rounds.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on April 25, 2006, 08:51:47 AM
although they did last year with McCoy, IMO

Here's to hoping he proves you wrong this year.

hunt

Quote from: FFatPatt on April 24, 2006, 09:56:32 AM
Quote from: hunt on April 24, 2006, 09:09:59 AM
they'll draft simms.

Why, because he's the guy you least want?

nah...because i think bunkley, ngata, & justice will already be gone.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

PoopyfaceMcGee

Ah.  I like Sims a lot.  I am still trying to figure out where he could fit in to the D long-term.

Rome

Ernie Sims is a player.  Like FF said, though, I don't know where he'd fit in on the Eagles defense.

Hey, if he's the best player available, then take him.  The Eagles could do worse than him @ 14 (namely Greenway, Holmes, Jackson, etc.).

mussa

An explosive athletic linebacker with great speed would be nice.... :yay
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

PoopyfaceMcGee

...and as I've said, even if Sims is better-suited to play WIL, why not alter the scheme a little and put two WIL-type guys at the OLB positions?  If the guys are solid tacklers and have the speed to rush the passer and awareness to play in space, who cares if they are prototypical SAM LB's?

MURP

whoever drafts Sims better have the special helmet ready.  5 concussions before he even gets to the NFL.  Bad ones or not that is playing with fire. 

mussa

Quote from: MURP on April 25, 2006, 09:25:12 AM
whoever drafts Sims better have the special helmet ready.  5 concussions before he even gets to the NFL.  Bad ones or not that is playing with fire. 

i did not know that.... :boom :boom :boom
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MURP on April 25, 2006, 09:25:12 AM

True, but the injury argument is also pretty good for Brodrick Bunkley.  Red flags all over him, too.

MURP

no doubt plenty of guys have injury histories... I just think the brain injuries are more concerning.  IMO. 

ice grillin you

OT is definetly a need this year. Who knows if Tra can step it up and even be healthy the entire year.  I'd much rather have a 1st round pick from this year sit behind Tra and learn and be ready to go next year or mid-year if Tra goes down.  Lets face it, worst manneans isn't then next coming of Christ.

you can say the same thing but replace OT with WR tra with pinky and herremans with lewis

does anyone even really believe justice is going to be there at 14...i dont...which is why sims is the pick...or trade down..or of course trade up and get one of the big boys
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

It's arguable whether the knees or the brain is more important, but I know a lot of guys with an extensive concussion history that take a licking and keep on ticking.

Anyway, with all this said... I don't think the Eagles take Sims anyway.  Maybe they trade down to 23 and let the Bucs take him.  I dunno.

mussa

there always the possibility to move down though, IGY