Who do you think is going in the First to the Birds?

Started by xtacy1238, April 09, 2006, 02:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidFarkus

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 26, 2006, 07:59:42 AM
I understand eyeing toward the future, but I want to make a push for the Superbowl this year

this hope ended a long time ago...they eagles arent making a push for it therefore you can put away your hope for it

when free agency is essentially over and you have 17 million dollars left its pretty clear the superbowl is not your goal

the giants are going for a superbowl this year
the taterskins are going for a superbowl this year
the eagles are not

If the Eagles had given a punt returner $30 million dollars would you then say they are going for a superbowl?

Every team is "going for a superbowl."
Bleeding Green Nation
Philadelphia Eagles Blog

http://bleedinggreennation.com/

PoopyfaceMcGee

Kiper "answers" a question about Mangold to Philly:

QuoteBruce(Phila. Pa): Do you think the Eagles might go for Nick Mangold?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:17 PM ET ) Mangold, they did try to do some things in free agency to secure the OL. I think he goes in the late first, early second.

Rome

Early second is fine.  Eagles taking Mangold @ 14 is beyond retarded.

ice grillin you

If the Eagles had given a punt returner $30 million dollars would you then say they are going for a superbowl?

when you call him a punt returner you lose what little credibility you ever had

again if you think hes overpaid then i cant argue...i really could care less about the money...but if you think hes a punt returner there is no need for further discussion

if he comes out this year has 30 catches no tangible impact on the offense and no impact on the return game you know where to find me and ill be here to admit i was wrong...meanwhile enjoy greg lewis and todd pinkston this year at the same amount of money
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SidFarkus

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 26, 2006, 01:51:49 PM

when you call him a punt returner you lose what little credibility you ever had

again if you think hes overpaid then i cant argue...i really could care less about the money...but if you think hes a punt returner there is no need for further discussion

if he comes out this year has 30 catches no tangible impact on the offense and no impact on the return game you know where to find me and ill be here to admit i was wrong...meanwhile enjoy greg lewis and todd pinkston this year at the same amount of money

Am I wrong? Randle El didn't return punts?

Look, he made a great throw on a trick play in the superbowl. Other than that he's a 35 catch #3 WR. Between Portis, Moss, Cooley, & Lloyd.. do you really think he's going to get much more than 35 catches this year? He'll make a contribution on special teams, but that's a run first offense with at least 3 or 4 better options than him in the pass game.
Bleeding Green Nation
Philadelphia Eagles Blog

ice grillin you

hell have a better year than any eagle wr...unless brown is way better than i think hell be...gibbs/saunders is going to have him all over the field in spots and roles that will allow him to have a big year imo...the fact that their offense is loaded will hold him back somewhat in terms of numbers....but thats the point of going out and getting talent in your wr corps...they all help each other...meanwhile the eagles have a second year guy trying to help greg lewis get open
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SidFarkus

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 26, 2006, 02:10:22 PM
hell have a better year than any eagle wr...unless brown is way better than i think hell be...gibbs/saunders is going to have him all over the field in spots and roles that will allow him to have a big year imo...the fact that their offense is loaded will hold him back somewhat in terms of numbers....but thats the point of going out and getting talent in your wr corps...they all help each other...meanwhile the eagles have a second year guy trying to help greg lewis get open

First, Greg Lewis will be helping Brown get open. He's the #1 guy here. Greg Lewis is a slot guy, although so is Jabar Gaffney...

I think Randle El would have been an interesting piece to add here, but in no way would he have solved the WR situation here and he was grossly overpaid in Washington.
Bleeding Green Nation
Philadelphia Eagles Blog

PoopyfaceMcGee

Yay for two threads in this section now devoted to Antwaan farging Randle-El!

Drunkmasterflex

I am curious as to what people would think of Eric Winston in the first not at 14 but trade down and picking him up?
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

PoopyfaceMcGee

I'd be cool with Winston if they trade WAY down to just barely out of the first.

The BIGSTUD

Quote from: EagleFeva on April 26, 2006, 05:51:01 AM
Quote from: Philly Forever on April 25, 2006, 11:35:05 PM
Wouldn't contribute a lot this year. He'd be at safety and would be behind Dawk and Lewis.

The Eagles are plenty deep in the secondary. Huff would just be a bad pick. Great player, but we don't need him.

You're so short sighted, it's not even funny.

Btw... if Andy thought the same way you do about the secondary back in 2002, there'd be no Lito, Sheldon or Mike Lewis.  I recall being "plenty deep" in the secondary then too.  You seem to blow off the fact that both safeties are FA's after this season... and Dawkins ain't getting any younger.  We've heard nothing from you but everything will be fine because "Brian Dawkins will be re-signed along with Lewis anyway."  I appreciate the optimism, but it's going to take a lot more than you saying so for that to happen.  We all love Dawkins, but with him turning 33 this coming season and Mike Lewis' high contract demands with his mediocre play right now... there is a VERY realistic chance that one or both of those guys don't come back after the 2006 season.  You gotta be prepared for those things... and a player like Huff is a great way to do that.

Huff is a guy who would be able to get on the field now and contribute.  Maybe not right away at safety, but as a nickel/dime CB since he can play that too.  Are you forgetting about the uncertainty with Rod Hood there as well or will we "resign him anyway"?  Not to mention... if either Dawk or Lewis were to go down at any point this season, we'd be looking at something better than Sean Considine.  Huff's damn sure set to contribute this year more than a Chad Jackson or Santonio Holmes.

I'm not knocking you for wanting to address the DT position now but you need to wake up if you think that Huff would be a "bad" pick.

And what Superbowl have the Eagles won doing this?

Yeah, that secondary draft looks great now, but I'm sure if we didn't address it then, somewhere down the line we would've fixed this secondary after Bobby and Troy left the team.

If the Eagles trade up in the first down, it is inexcusable to not take a DT if both are sitting there for you to take. Yes, inexcusable. DT is too big of a hole to pass it up for a position where maybe one player in our secondary won't be here next year. If we trade up for the best player we can get it has to be DT because that is our biggest need, it's that simple.

If we trade up for a safety, where exactly are we going to get our DT help? 3rd round? 4th round? Maybe the 2nd? Do you want to address our biggest need with significantly lesser talent?

I understand your premise of looking down the road, but there's one thing I can see down the road that you didn't see. If we draft Huff, DT will still be a problem next year.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Position aside, Huff is a much more elite talent than Ngata or Bunkley.  Shouldn't that factor into it?

Don Ho

Quote from: sallad selgae on April 26, 2006, 12:02:36 PM
It would be good to have a Longhorn on the Eagles.  Who's the last UT person the Eagles drafted anyhow?[

Chris Akins FS 1998 7th round
Tommy Jeter DT 1992 3rd round
Brit Hagar LB 1989 3rd round
Lawerence Sampleton TE 1982 2nd round

Best UT draft choice by the birds?  Bill Bradley S 1968 2nd round.  One of my all time Eagles favorite.  11 ints in 1972.

Jerry Siesmore 1973 OT 1st round was also a stud.  Part of a great Eagles OL.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

The BIGSTUD

Quote from: FFatPatt on April 26, 2006, 03:07:01 PM
Position aside, Huff is a much more elite talent than Ngata or Bunkley.  Shouldn't that factor into it?

Unless he was one of the best safety prospects ever. It's basically the same issue in Houston with the Texans. Some people think Bush is a bad pick, because they already have a good RB. I personally think Bush is the right pick because I see him being one of the 5 best RBs in the history of the game. But, if he was just another Ronnie Brown coming out, I don't think there is any way they pick him.

At some point or another we have to get a DT with our best pick. Let's take care of it now, while we have other positions secure, and take care of those when they become an issue.

If Dawk isn't here in 2007, then we can draft a safety then or have Considine fill in for a year or so until we do get one. That wouldn't be disastrous. Having Walker and Rayburn next year would be disastrous.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 26, 2006, 03:13:54 PM
If Dawk isn't here in 2007, then we can draft a safety then or have Considine fill in for a year or so until we do get one. That wouldn't be disastrous. Having Walker and Rayburn next year would be disastrous.

So, the prospect of Considine starting is less scary to you than the prospect of Darwin Walker and Sam Rayburn being vital parts of a DT rotation?  I see you're not even in the same solar system as planet reality.