Who do you think is going in the First to the Birds?

Started by xtacy1238, April 09, 2006, 02:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The BIGSTUD

I understand eyeing toward the future, but I want to make a push for the Superbowl this year. We need to get the best or second best DT in this draft.

My philosophy has always been to address the needs when they arise, not before. Sometimes you plan for the future, but IMO it's better to draft a project in the 4th round to takeover for a future need.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Drunkmasterflex

Well to me the Eagles are not a Super Bowl team this year they are a playoff a contender they hopefully be a SB contender for 07.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

The BIGSTUD

Maybe it's just me, but I can't endure another season having the opponent's QB having 8 seconds to pick his targets.

The lower the pick in the draft, the percentage of landing a stud also declines. If we trade up for Huff, then we'd either give up a 2nd or a 3rd. That would mean we'd only have one other pick in the first 3 rounds to address DT, WR, OLB. That is a scary thought IMO.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

BigEd76

Don't hold your breath waiting for a great LB to be drafted on day one.  In fact, I'm starting to think they're waiting for Emmons to be cut so they can bring him back cheap...

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: BigEd76 on April 25, 2006, 11:53:55 PM
Don't hold your breath waiting for a great LB to be drafted on day one.  In fact, I'm starting to think they're waiting for Emmons to be cut so they can bring him back cheap...

Emmons, Trott, and Barber/McCoy that wouldn't be so bad provided Emmons and Barber can stay healthy.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

The BIGSTUD

Quote from: BigEd76 on April 25, 2006, 11:53:55 PM

I talked about Emmons being cut in another topic.

But as long as we get a DT or WR in day one I'm happy.

MURP

I dont understand why the Eagles need to live in the past with Barber and Emmons if that is indeed the plan.  If these guys were that good in the first place they should have never let them leave.  This kind of stuff just doesnt make any sense.   Save money?  please.  18 million with nothing to spend on. 

BigEd76

They know JJ's defense, they can be trusted knowing it, they're cheap, they're humble (i.e. big "ha I told you so" ego boost for Banner and Reid), and they aren't a waste of draft picks.  Not saying that's a great plan, but that's their theory....

MURP

The BIGSTUD

So is Emmons actually going to be cut? When I brought it up, it was just a theory on my part because Arrington is going to play SAM most likely, and Emmons kept getting hurt.

Feva

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 25, 2006, 11:35:05 PM
Wouldn't contribute a lot this year. He'd be at safety and would be behind Dawk and Lewis.

The Eagles are plenty deep in the secondary. Huff would just be a bad pick. Great player, but we don't need him.

You're so short sighted, it's not even funny.

Btw... if Andy thought the same way you do about the secondary back in 2002, there'd be no Lito, Sheldon or Mike Lewis.  I recall being "plenty deep" in the secondary then too.  You seem to blow off the fact that both safeties are FA's after this season... and Dawkins ain't getting any younger.  We've heard nothing from you but everything will be fine because "Brian Dawkins will be re-signed along with Lewis anyway."  I appreciate the optimism, but it's going to take a lot more than you saying so for that to happen.  We all love Dawkins, but with him turning 33 this coming season and Mike Lewis' high contract demands with his mediocre play right now... there is a VERY realistic chance that one or both of those guys don't come back after the 2006 season.  You gotta be prepared for those things... and a player like Huff is a great way to do that.

Huff is a guy who would be able to get on the field now and contribute.  Maybe not right away at safety, but as a nickel/dime CB since he can play that too.  Are you forgetting about the uncertainty with Rod Hood there as well or will we "resign him anyway"?  Not to mention... if either Dawk or Lewis were to go down at any point this season, we'd be looking at something better than Sean Considine.  Huff's damn sure set to contribute this year more than a Chad Jackson or Santonio Holmes.

I'm not knocking you for wanting to address the DT position now but you need to wake up if you think that Huff would be a "bad" pick.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

ice grillin you

I understand eyeing toward the future, but I want to make a push for the Superbowl this year

this hope ended a long time ago...they eagles arent making a push for it therefore you can put away your hope for it

when free agency is essentially over and you have 17 million dollars left its pretty clear the superbowl is not your goal

the giants are going for a superbowl this year
the taterskins are going for a superbowl this year
the eagles are not
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 26, 2006, 07:59:42 AM

when free agency is essentially over and you have 17 million dollars left its pretty clear the superbowl is not your goal

exactly. 
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

reese125

Quote from: EagleFeva on April 26, 2006, 05:51:01 AM
Wouldn't contribute a lot this year. He'd be at safety and would be behind Dawk and Lewis.

The Eagles are plenty deep in the secondary. Huff would just be a bad pick. Great player, but we don't need him.

Btw... if Andy thought the same way you do about the secondary back in 2002, there'd be no Lito, Sheldon or Mike Lewis.  I recall being "plenty deep" in the secondary then too.  You seem to blow off the fact that both safeties are FA's after this season... and Dawkins ain't getting any younger.  We've heard nothing from you but everything will be fine because "Brian Dawkins will be re-signed along with Lewis anyway."  I appreciate the optimism, but it's going to take a lot more than you saying so for that to happen.  We all love Dawkins, but with him turning 33 this coming season and Mike Lewis' high contract demands with his mediocre play right now... there is a VERY realistic chance that one or both of those guys don't come back after the 2006 season.  You gotta be prepared for those things... and a player like Huff is a great way to do that.

Huff is a guy who would be able to get on the field now and contribute.  Maybe not right away at safety, but as a nickel/dime CB since he can play that too.  Are you forgetting about the uncertainty with Rod Hood there as well or will we "resign him anyway"?  Not to mention... if either Dawk or Lewis were to go down at any point this season, we'd be looking at something better than Sean Considine.  Huff's damn sure set to contribute this year more than a Chad Jackson or Santonio Holmes.

I'm not knocking you for wanting to address the DT position now but you need to wake up if you think that Huff would be a "bad" pick.

Every bit of this makes sense Feva...good write up

sallad selgae

It would be good to have a Longhorn on the Eagles.  Who's the last UT person the Eagles drafted anyhow?

Quote from: reese125 on April 26, 2006, 08:59:18 AM
Quote from: EagleFeva on April 26, 2006, 05:51:01 AM

Btw... if Andy thought the same way you do about the secondary back in 2002, there'd be no Lito, Sheldon or Mike Lewis. I recall being "plenty deep" in the secondary then too. You seem to blow off the fact that both safeties are FA's after this season... and Dawkins ain't getting any younger. We've heard nothing from you but everything will be fine because "Brian Dawkins will be re-signed along with Lewis anyway." I appreciate the optimism, but it's going to take a lot more than you saying so for that to happen. We all love Dawkins, but with him turning 33 this coming season and Mike Lewis' high contract demands with his mediocre play right now... there is a VERY realistic chance that one or both of those guys don't come back after the 2006 season. You gotta be prepared for those things... and a player like Huff is a great way to do that.

Huff is a guy who would be able to get on the field now and contribute. Maybe not right away at safety, but as a nickel/dime CB since he can play that too. Are you forgetting about the uncertainty with Rod Hood there as well or will we "resign him anyway"? Not to mention... if either Dawk or Lewis were to go down at any point this season, we'd be looking at something better than Sean Considine. Huff's damn sure set to contribute this year more than a Chad Jackson or Santonio Holmes.

Every bit of this makes sense Feva...good write up
"Official Sponsor of the first, fourth round draft pick"