Main Menu

Mocks

Started by Tomahawk, March 15, 2006, 12:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Even if they do not get Walker drafting Jackson or Holmes at 14 would be stupid, stupid, stupid.

PhillyandBCEagles

Only way I'd even consider taking a WR in the 1st round is if you traded down to around 20 and picked up an extra 3rd rounder in the process.

The BIGSTUD

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 23, 2006, 11:57:39 PM
Even if they do not get Walker drafting Jackson or Holmes at 14 would be stupid, stupid, stupid.

Then you don't seem to think a big upgrade at WR is a priority. Because otherwise we wouldn't get a big upgrade.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 24, 2006, 12:04:06 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 23, 2006, 11:57:39 PM

Then you don't seem to think a big upgrade at WR is a priority. Because otherwise we wouldn't get a big upgrade.

I do think it is a priority. But getting Walker would be a great move. Drafting Jackson or Holmes at 14 just because you NEED a position is stupid. You do not draft strictly for need. Do that and you're in trouble and thats how bad picks are made.

Bottom line; Jackson or Holmes at 14 = dumb.

The BIGSTUD

I disagree. When you need a position that bad you don't have a choice. Unless you trade down. If the Eagles don't get Walker it is 100% their fault for not addressing this problem in free agency. Their incompetency will have lead to them being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Otherwise we will be going into the season with a very very mediocre receiving corps. Unless you are fine on settling with Stovall or someone like that later on.

I'm certainly not fine with that.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

PhillyPhreak54

Newsflash:

The need for playmakers on defense >>>>>> the need for drafting Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson.

I'm fine if they get Stovall and one of these guys later on:

Greg Jennings
Jeff Webb
Brandon Marshall

and there are several others who I would like to see drafted at WR but Im heading off to bed.

The BIGSTUD

Then you have different opinions on some of the other receivers out there than me, which is fine. Everyone has a difference of opinions on players.

I think that other than Holmes or Jackson, every other receiver in this draft has a huge bust label on them, from what I've seen of them, and read. I think the deeper you go receivers like Stovall, Marshall, Avant, etc all either lack speed, physicality. One or the other. Jackson and Holmes are really the only two with both. Holmes is only 5'10 1/2 but he's physical for a smaller receiver. He's tough.

I don't think Stovall is a starter in this league. But that's me. I think if we don't get Walker we'll need to get a starter out of this draft, and to me Holmes and Jackson are the only 2 players who I think will certainly be starters. Everyone else is too big of a question mark for a team that needs receiving help so badly.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 24, 2006, 12:16:14 AM
Then you have different opinions on some of the other receivers out there than me, which is fine. Everyone has a difference of opinions on players.

I think that other than Holmes or Jackson, every other receiver in this draft has a huge bust label on them,

You just have a boner for any receiver, if the general consensus was that Stovall was worth a first rounder you'd be all over getting him too.

The BIGSTUD

That was a pretty ignorant statement. I don't care about an overall consensus. Stovall is a possession receiver. He has pretty much no breakaway ability or YAC ability. Last time I checked, YAC is pretty important in this offense. I don't care if a consensus had him as the best receiver in this draft. I don't like Stovall.

I haven't seen every receiver in this draft play a whole lot, but Holmes, Jackson, and Stovall are 3 receivers I did see play a lot. Since OSU, Florida, and ND are on TV quite often.

Having watched those receivers and read up on them, I create an opinion on them. I just don't like Stovall. I like receivers that get YAC. Stovall doesn't do that. He has great hands and size, but no breakaway ability.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 24, 2006, 12:32:39 AM
That was a pretty ignorant statement.

Of course it was, but I think you're letting your obsession with getting a receiver clout your judgement of the value of our pick. Neither of those guys are top 20 picks IMO.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 24, 2006, 12:11:22 AM
Newsflash:

The need for playmakers on defense >>>>>> the need for drafting Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson.

I'm fine if they get Stovall and one of these guys later on:

Greg Jennings
Jeff Webb
Brandon Marshall

and there are several others who I would like to see drafted at WR but Im heading off to bed.

I agree with you on this, I would prefer to see them take a LB or DT in the first but I don't think that Holmes or Jackson would be too bad of a pick.  Those other receivers would be fine options as well. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 23, 2006, 03:18:25 PM
Chad Jackson is the either the best or 2nd best receiver in this draft. It's not about value. It's about getting the best player at a position of need in the draft. So why would you wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to get a player like Stovall who isn't as good?

People get WAY WAY overboard with this value crap. Value is 100% based on mock drafts. We all say taking Jackson at 14 is too high because a bunch of mock drafts have him going 20. How do you know Denver won't take him at 15? We don't know what the hell is going to happen. If you want a player you take him at 14. It's that simple. You don't trade down to 20 thinking he'll be there simply because a bunch of mock drafts have him going there.

You may think you have an idea as to where he is going to go, so then you trade down and risk not getting the guy at all. What is more important? Getting the guy you want or getting value for him? The #1 thing is to get the guy. Getting value for the guy is only a bonus, because if you trade down you risk not getting him period. That is why I always hate trading down.

1. Chad Jackson is the best or second best receiver in the draft. It is a horrid WR class. So that makes Jackson.....what, exactly?

2. It is about value, like it or not. If you have the fourteenth pick, and there are guys who are rated higher than Jackson on your board at different need positions, because they have more upside, or have demonstrated more ability, to pass on them strictly because you need a WR? No. Doing that is stupid.

3. So if the Birds pass on Jackson at fourteen, and DENVER selects Jackson with the very next pick, that would somehow cement the fact the Birds made a mistake in not taking him, given Denver's recent skill at logically selecting players, right?

4. "If you want a player, you take him at fourteen". Hmm. So if you have a WR, who grades decently, but doesn't seem to be near the quality of say, the guy you picked in the second round last year, or anything approaching who was selected at the same spot in last years draft, you take him because he is the least zesty guy in the group. Makes sense.

5. You don't trade down anticipating a player is going to drop to you. You trade down because you don't see the value there. Meaning this, the Birds are on the clock at fourteen, and they don't see any available players that are head and shoulders above who will be available a few more slots down, or they have reason to believe the teams coming after them have an interest in a particular position that isn't a major need for the Birds. They give away they pick, move down and acquire more picks. The spot they move to, plus the extra picks acquired then, to them, have more value than the fourteenth pick.

6. Getting value for the guy is a bonus? Yeah. That made a whole lot of sense.

7. You always hate trading down. So even if there is equivalent talent later in the round at a need position, you would burn the higher pick anyway, because trading down sucks. Okay.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

reese125

Man, I would of hated for you to grade my English comp paper in college.

DR Dissector

PhillyPhanInDC

PFT.com has their latest second round mock up:
ROUND ONE

1.  Houston Texans:  Reggie Bush, RB, USC.

2.  New Orleans Saints:   Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State.

3.  Tennessee Titans:  Vince Young, QB, Texas.

4.  New York Jets:  D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

5.  Green Bay Packers:  Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland.

6.  San Francisco 49ers:  A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State.

7.  Oakland Raiders:  Matt Leinart, QB, USC.

8.  Buffalo Bills:  Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State.

9.  Detroit Lions:  Michael Huff, S, Texas.

10.  Arizona Cardinals:  Winston Justice, OT, USC.

11.  St. Louis Rams:  Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon.

12.  Cleveland Browns:  Jason Allen, S, Tennessee.

13.   Baltimore Ravens:  Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt.

14.  Philadelphia Eagles:  Chad Jackson, WR, Florida.

15.  Denver Broncos (from Atlanta):  Kamerion Wimbley, DE, Florida State.

16.  Miami Dolphins:  Darnell Bing, S, USC.

17.  Minnesota Vikings:  Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State.

18.  Dallas Cowboys:  Donte Whitner, DB, Ohio State.

19.  San Diego Chargers:  Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State.

20.  Kansas City Chiefs:  Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech.

21.  New England Patriots:  Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina.

22.  San Francisco 49ers (from Denver):  Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State.

23.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers:  Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa.

24.  Cincinnati Bengals:  Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State.

25.  New York Giants:  Tye Hill, CB, Clemson.

26.  Chicago Bears:  Manny Lawson, LB, North Carolina State.

27.  Carolina Panthers:  DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis.

28.  Jacksonville Jaguars:  DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama.

29.  New York Jets (from Broncos via Falcons):  LenDale White, RB, USC.

30.  Indianapolis Colts:  Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota.

31.  Seattle Seahawks:   Max Jean-Gilles, G, Georgia.

32.  Pittsburgh Steelers:  Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State.

ROUND 2

33.  Houston Texans:  Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State.

34.  New Orleans Saints:  Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame.

35.  New York Jets:  Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan.

36.  Green Bay Packers:  Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina.

37.  Denver Broncos (from 49ers):  Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA.   

38.  Oakland Raiders:  Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami.

39.  Tennessee Titans:  Joseph Addai, RB, LSU.

40.  Detroit Lions:  Daryl Tapp, DE, Virginia Tech.

41.  Arizona Cardinals:  Jeremy Trueblood, OT, Boston College.

42.  Buffalo Bills:  Mathias Kiawanuka, DE, Boston College.

43.  Cleveland Browns:  Corey Rodgers, WR, TCU.   

44.  Baltimore Ravens:  Kelly Jennings, CB, Miami.

45.  Philadelphia Eagles:  Orien Harris, DT, Miami.

46.  St. Louis Rams:  Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia.

47.  Atlanta Falcons:  Taitusi Latui, G, USC.

48.  Minnesota Vikings:  Kellen Clemens, QB, Oregon.

49.  Dallas Cowboys:  Derek Hagen, WR, Arizona State.

50.  San Diego Chargers:  Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State.

51.  Minnesota Vikings (from Dolphins):  Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno State.     

52.  New England Patriots:  Abdul Hodge, LB, Iowa.

53.  Washington taterskins:  D'Qwell Jackson, LB, Maryland.

54.  Kansas City Chiefs:  Daryn Colledge, OT, Boise State.

55.  Cincinnati Bengals:  Anthony Fasano, TE, Notre Dame.

56.  New York Giants:  Clint Ingram, LB, Oklahoma.

57.  Chicago Bears:  Devin Hester, WR, Miami.

58.  Carolina Panthers:  Davin Joseph, G, Oklahoma.

59.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers:  Charles Spencer, G, Pittsburgh.

60.  Jacksonville Jaguars:  Eric Winston, OT, Miami.

61.  Denver Broncos:  Reggie McNeal, QB, Texas A&M.

62.  Indianapolis Colts:  Chris Chester, OT, Oklahoma.   

63.  Seattle Seahawks:   Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn.

64.  Pittsburgh Steelers:  Jeremy Bloom, WR/KR/PR, Colorado.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Is Orien Harris really a 2nd rounder?