Main Menu

Mocks

Started by Tomahawk, March 15, 2006, 12:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

i was just about to post that...

this screams of them actually wanting to move up, but lying about what player it's for
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

MURP

Quote from: Philly Forever on April 28, 2006, 04:24:57 PM
The Eagles aren't offering enough to get the Bills to give up the defensive tackle that fits their needs, Bunkley.

im shocked the Bills wont take Hollis for their pick. 

The BIGSTUD

:-D

The Eagles aren't that bad.

My guess is they are offered their first and a 3rd and a player, like Hollis.

The Bills probably say, add a 4th to that and it's a done deal or give is a 1st and your 2nd and the 8th pick is yours.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

NGM

Quote from: Sun_Mo on April 28, 2006, 04:25:48 PM
i was just about to post that...

this screams of them actually wanting to move up, but lying about what player it's for

Don't be such a tease. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

SunMo

good to see you've fully assimilated to Hufftonia
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

sallad selgae

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on April 28, 2006, 04:20:46 PM
Man, can you imagine the draft party at The Linc if they end up taking Greenway, Mangold or some other stiff?

I hope Spadaro has a bulletproof vest handy.

:-D

Shoulderpad Sean's Head just might explode.  Worth the price of admission, IMO.
"Official Sponsor of the first, fourth round draft pick"

Displaced

Is it just me or is there something very strange about this mock?

Carucci: 2006 Mock Draft    

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

(April 28, 2006) -- In light of the Houston Texans' signing of North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, I have adjusted my mock draft accordingly:

1. Houston: Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State

2. New Orleans: Reggie Bush, RB, USC

3. Tennessee: Matt Leinart, QB, USC

4. N.Y. Jets: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

5. Green Bay: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
With Brett Favre planning to return for another season, the Packers need to give him the best pass-catching playmaker in the draft. Davis has an extraordinary combination of size, speed and power. True, the Packers already have a decent tight end in Bubba Franks, but he misses a lot of time with injuries.

6. San Francisco: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
Niners coach Mike Nolan needs that massive anchor in the middle of his defense, and 5-foot-11, 297-pound Anthony Adams is not the answer. The 6-4, 338-pound Ngata, with his remarkable strength, is.

7. Oakland: Vince Young, QB, Texas
The Raiders could very well trade up to get Young, but that might not be necessary. Young is a dynamic force and he would have time to watch and learn the finer points of quarterbacking mechanics before being inserted in the starting job. He is an enormously talented player, and if he consistently performs in the NFL the way he did in the Rose Bowl, this choice, if made this far down, will long be remembered as one of the great steals in league history.

8. Buffalo: A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State
Knowing that one player won't fix the many holes they have on both sides of the ball, the Bills would love to trade down for additional picks. Barring that, they would be thrilled if, in staying put, they had a chance to select an enormously talented athlete who has a phenomenal work ethic and who would be a perfect weakside starter in Dick Jauron's new 4-3 defense. Many other projections have them selecting Brodrick Bunkley, a defensive tackle from Florida State, but this spot seems a little too high for him. Safety-cornerback Michael Huff, from Texas, is another consideration.

9. Detroit: Michael Huff, DB, Texas
With the skills to be a top-flight cornerback, his original college position, or safety, Huff offers the kind of versatility that makes defensive-minded coaches such as Rod Marinelli drool.

10. Arizona: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
There is plenty of talk the Cardinals are targeting USC offensive tackle Winston Justice, who did plenty to help his draft stock with highly impressive pre-draft workouts. However, the Cardinals must have someone in place to eventually take over for Kurt Warner, and Cutler's big-time arm provides a foundation for development.

11. St. Louis: Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech
Like Huff, Williams also can play corner or safety. His poor pre-draft workouts and attitude have raised some questions, but he still has plenty to offer athletically and new defensive coordinator Jim Haslett should find a way to make him productive.

12. Cleveland: Manny Lawson, OLB, N.C. State
In Romeo Crennel's continuing efforts to fortify his 3-4 defense, Lawson provides exceptional speed and strength.

13. Baltimore: Winston Justice, OT, USC
The Ravens have had one of the NFL's all-time best tackles, Jonathan Ogden, on the left side of their line. The time has come to begin grooming his replacement, and Justice looks as if he would be the right man for the role.

14. Philadelphia: Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State
The Eagles easily could go with a wide receiver here, and no doubt will give strong consideration to Chad Jackson of Florida or Santonio Holmes of Ohio State. Another possibility is outside linebacker. But they thought they were going to be able to upgrade at center by signing LeCharles Bentley in free agency, and ended up losing out to Cleveland. Jamaal Jackson performed well in place of injured Hank Fraley last season, but in Mangold the Eagles have a chance to get one of the better centers to emerge from the college ranks in recent years.

15. Denver: Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
The Broncos are rumored to be pursuing a trade for Javon Walker, but if they are still seeking a receiver at the time of their first-round choice, Jackson should be there.

16. Miami: Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
Hill's prowess in man-to-man and bump-and-run coverage is exactly what Nick Saban needs to be as aggressive as he wants to be in rushing the passer.

17. Minnesota: Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State
The Vikings want a young quarterback in the wings to eventually replace Brad Johnson, and if Cutler falls this far, which is possible, they probably wouldn't hesitate to grab him. Otherwise, Sims gives them the speed and tackling ability to be a productive weakside linebacker in their 4-3 defense.

18. Dallas: Kamerion Wimbley, OLB, Florida State
History tells us Bill Parcells likes to methodically put his pass-rushing bookends in place. Last year it was DeMarcus Ware; this year it is Wimbley. When Parcells guided the Giants, it was Lawrence Taylor followed a year later by Carl Banks.

19. San Diego: Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State
The Chargers need immediate help in their secondary, and Cromartie looks to have enough talent and smarts to at least make a first-year contribution as a nickel back.

20. Kansas City: Johnathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina
Joseph is a playmaker who will force the action, exactly the profile of the type of defenders Herman Edwards wants in his defense.

21. New England: Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State
Two good outside linebackers should be available at this point -- Carpenter and Chad Greenway of Iowa. They are similar in that they both have outstanding playmaking skills, considerable intelligence, and a true passion for the game. Carpenter, who has recovered from the broken leg he suffered in November, is about 16 pounds heavier than Greenway, and that figures to give him the edge with Bill Belichick.

22. San Francisco: Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa
The 49ers are desperate for help at outside linebacker. Although Greenway wasn't overly impressive in pre-draft workouts, he still shows enough speed, toughness and hustle to satisfy Mike Nolan's requirements for an outside linebacker in his 3-4 scheme.

23. Tampa Bay: Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
Some projections have the Buccaneers going defense with this pick, but Jon Gruden's priority is to find playmakers for Chris Simms, and Holmes is extremely dangerous after the catch. This would be a bit of a slip for Holmes, but if the Eagles or Broncos don't select him at Nos. 14 or 15, he could be here for the taking.

24. Cincinnati: DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
Marvin Lewis can't rest until he gets his defense performing at the dominant level he achieved when he was a defensive coordinator in Baltimore. It's hard to believe there would still be another productive outside linebacker left with so many coming off the board by this point, but Ryans can help the Bengals with his quickness, instincts and relentlessness when rushing the quarterback. Thomas Howard, of Texas-El Paso, is another outside linebacker likely to be here.

25. N.Y. Giants: Eric Winston, OT, Miami
After picking up LaVar Arrington, the Giants are able to shift away from targeting an outside linebacker with this choice and, instead, can use it on a pretty good offensive tackle.

26. Chicago: Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State
At nearly 6-0 and 189 pounds, Youboty figures to have the size the Bears want from a cornerback in their Cover 2 scheme. He also has enough speed and athleticism to carve out an outstanding NFL career.

27. Carolina: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
There's a gigantic gap between Bush and the next-best running back in the draft, but this is where the No. 2 man at the position, Williams, should go. The Panthers have all sorts of health issues in their offensive backfield, and Williams could help solve them.

28. Jacksonville: Jason Allen, S, Tennessee
The Jaguars secondary needs an infusion of youth, and Allen, fully recovered from a hip injury that caused him to miss most of last season, would be a welcome addition here.

29. N.Y. Jets: Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
The Jets need to find a replacement for aging Curtis Martin, and Maroney has the speed, size and toughness to fill those massive cleats well.

30. Indianapolis: Davin Joseph, OG, Oklahoma
The Colts could go with an outside linebacker here, and it's possible that Ryans could fall all the way to this spot. Howard would be another consideration. They also might consider USC's LenDale White, whose offseason has been a train wreck, to fill the running back hole created by Edgerrin James' departure. But the Colts also have a crying need for an offensive guard, and Joseph is the best in the draft at the position.

31. Seattle: Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State
The Seahawks fill a need with a solid player who does a nice job in zone coverage and can hold his own in man-to-man in nickel and dime schemes.

32. Pittsburgh: Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
White could be here, and perhaps the Steelers would make him the power back replacement for Jerome Bettis. But Simpson, who offers an impressive combination of size (6-1 and 203 pounds) and playmaking ability, also would address a need and perhaps with less risk.

Westy

does Carucci predict that Bunkley will be dead by morning?

Displaced

Exactly what I was thinking.

They reallu let one get by on that one.

PhillyPhreak54

Carucci and Mayock are smoking crack.

And if the Eagles draft Nick Mangold I will be looking to crack someones skull with a ball peen hammer.

PoopyfaceMcGee

TMQ on Kiper:

QuoteMel Kiper Watch: A man who makes his living obsessing about the NFL draft -- only in America! Though Kiper is often lampooned, the day ESPN put him on the air was an important day in football annals. First, Kiper's example allowed millions of Americans to come out as draftniks. At this time of year, very large numbers of people have intense, strongly held convictions regarding football prospects they may never have seen perform. Mel's example made it all right to be a draftnik -- the man makes his living talking about this stuff! Everybody laughs at Mel's hair, but deep down, there are significant numbers who wish they could exchange occupations with Kiper. And I don't mean just miners or stevedores who would trade places with Mel in order to exchange dangerous or exhausting work for sitting in an air-conditioned office. Many doctors, lawyers and business managers would trade occupations with Kiper in a New York minute, because a huge number of Americans simply love the draft, and Kiper lives in the draftnik world 365 days a year.

Kiper is significant in another way, too. His example made it OK for men (and, increasingly, women) to admit they are totally obsessed with football. Obsessed is the key word. Before Kiper, people watched NFL or college games, and maybe the occasional highlight show, and now and then absentmindedly thumbed through a football annual. Kiper made it OK to be obsessed about football, to watch every last game that's on, to read every last sentence that's written, to pore over stats and tapes. In this sense, Mel Kiper Jr. has made a greater positive contribution to the incredible financial success of the National Football League than all but a few people in broadcasting. Watching him on his perch at Radio City on Saturday, I reflected on the fact that the respectable media and football worlds refuse to honor Kiper: he's too out-there, too goofy. Yet many respectable-media types who snicker at Kiper privately know he has accomplished more than they have. His was a central role in the last two decades of the promotion of professional and college football, helping inspire round-the-clock viewing and, now, round-the-clock Internet following. And Kiper has been a populist influence, expressing in his own inimitable way this message: anyone can figure this stuff out, The Experts don't know anything you can't know. I say in full seriousness that someone needs to give Mel Kiper an award. Think what you will about the pompadour: Kiper's contribution to broadening the base of public interest in football exceeds that of most famed broadcasters and sportswriters and of most NFL executives, for that matter.

These things said, part of the fun of Kiper is watching him be all over the map. This year he issued five mock drafts, each contradicting the one before. Mel had the Dolphins going first for Winston Justice, or Ashton Youboty, or Donte Whitner, or Antonio Cromartie; they actually used their first selection on Jason Allen. "If Justice is available, he has got to be the call for Miami," Mel foresaw; Justice was available and was not the call.

Kiper had the Bucs going first for Cromartie, or Marcus McNeill, or Chad Greenway; they actually used their first-rounder on Davin Joseph. Kiper had Dallas investing its first choice on Jason Allen, or Chad Jackson, or Manny Lawson; the Cowboys chose Bobby Carpenter. Kiper had DeAngelo Williams going as high as 10th or as low as 22nd, being picked by Arizona or New England or Denver; Williams went 27th to Carolina. Kiper had Tamba Hali going as high as 12th to Cleveland or as low as the second round; he went 20th to Kansas City. On March 6, Kiper predicted Oakland would use the seventh overall choice on quarterback Jay Cutler; on March 27, Kiper said "it would be odd" if Oakland used its first pick on a quarterback. (Oakland passed on Cutler.) With its first pick, Jacksonville "could go one of two ways, Thomas Howard or Deuce Lutui." Both were available when Jax picked, and the team went a third way. At various points, Mel had the Chargers taking Tye Hill or Justice or Jonathan Joseph or Santonio Holmes; San Diego took Cromartie. At various points Kiper predicted the Eagles would take Justice or Holmes or Jackson or Ernie Sims or Greenway; they took Brodrick Bunkley. Surely if any one of his multiple forecasts for any of these teams had been correct, Mel would have claimed to have predicted it!

Kiper's player comments are similarly all over the map. Davin Joseph was chosen in the first round; two months before the draft, Mel said Joseph "has a chance to be a second-round pick." Mark Anderson: "He could be a second-round pick." Anderson went in the fifth round. A month before the draft, Kiper called Kellen Clemens "a late-round possibility." Then Kiper forecast Clemens as a second-round choice. As Clemons was chosen in the second round, by Jersey/B (aka the Jets), Kiper said, "That's a little high for Clemens, considering Brodie Croyle is still available." In his own final mock, Mel had Clemens going before Croyle. When Detroit took Daniel Bullocks early in round two, Kiper said, "That's where I thought for him, early round two." In all his mock drafts, Mel had Bullocks going either late round two or below the second round. Kiper predicted of Denver's first choice, "They could get a wide receiver or running back. Their key area is defensive end." Denver used its first choice on a quarterback. The Panthers, Kiper said, "would be hard-pressed to pass on Mercedes Lewis." They passed on Mercedes Lewis. For the Titans to choose Matt Leinart would be "a no-brainer." The Titans passed on Leinart. Of course there are hundreds of prospects, and Kiper was exactly right about some of their destinations: he forecast Nick Mangold to the Jets with the 29th selection, for example. But Kiper makes draft predictions the way Kobe Bryant takes shots: they both launch so many that one or two have to fall. My favorite Kiperism this year? When Donte Whitner went eighth overall, Mel said, "That's about right. I had him going 16th to Miami, but that's still about right." Kiper did have Whitner going 16th to Miami -- in a January mock. The day before the draft, he forecast Whitner to Cincinnati at the 24th slot. Kiper couldn't keep his own predictions straight. And who could blame him?

full TMQ

ice grillin you

i was always under the impression that mels mocks were who he thinks the team should take not will take
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous