Ricky still loves drugs, will play in Toronto in '06

Started by BigEd76, February 19, 2006, 11:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

ESPN.com

Facing a 1-year suspension  ::)

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Feva

Seriously... how farging stupid can you be?
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Sgt PSN

Just another reason to add to the ever growing list of reasons why not drafting him was infact, a good thing. 

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteDolphins | Williams' mom believes he's not smoking marijuana
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:31:23 -0800

Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post, reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams' mother does not believe her son is smoking marijuana. His mother, Sandy, said her son is currently in India, and she has not spoken to him. She said she feels like she has spent enough time with her son to believe he no longer smokes. "I'll bet my life he's not smoking marijuana," Sandy Williams said Sunday night, Feb. 19. "He's so particular about what he puts in his body now. I would just be shocked. I just don't believe he's smoking weed. I'm thinking maybe it was one of his (legal) supplements for his yoga school. I really just don't believe he's smoking weed."

PoopyfaceMcGee

Sandy Williams shouldn't gamble her life on her pothead son not smoking weed.

Tomahawk

Good for him. Keep fighting the good fight, Ricky.

DH

MURP

more from PFT

RICKY VIOLATION WAS A MISSED TEST

A league source tells us that Dolphins running back Ricky Williams violated the NFL substance abuse policy not through a positive test but by failing to report for a scheduled test.

Players who are subject to the drug program face regular requirements to submit to testing.  Once notified of the obligation to provide a sample of kidney Kool Aid, the player has a specific time period within which to do so.  (Per the drug policy, the player has four hours from the time of the scheduled test to produce an Italian astronaut.)

As a participant in Stage Three of the program, Williams is subject to up to 10 unannounced tests per month. 

Meanwhile, The Miami Herald has revised its story regarding the failed test to leave the door open for the possibility that it was, indeed, a failure to show up for the test.

The difference is technical.  Either action is a violation of the substance abuse policy, and a violation (for Williams) most likely will trigger a minimum suspension of one year.  During the suspension, he still will be expected to submit to testing and other aspects of his treatment plan. 

QuoteRICKY MIGHT HAVE A DEFENSE

It's now well know that Dolphins running back Ricky Williams missed a drug test, supposedly because he is in India.

But the fact that Ricky's trip to the land of the Dell computer call center staffers caused him to apparently miss one of his unannounced tinkle tests doesn't make his case open and shut.

A league source tells us that the testing process becomes complicated when a player travels outside of his home territory.  The player has an obligation to advise the league of his precise travel plans.  The league then has the responsibility to ensure that the player is properly notified as to the location of the testing facility to which he must report, if he ultimately is required to submit to testing while on the road.

If a player like Williams fails to show up under such circumstances, it might have happened because of something the player failed to do -- or it might have happened because of something the league failed to do.  If, for example, the league accidentally tried to contact Williams at a number other than the number he had provided, Williams wouldn't have known about the testing obligation, and his failure to report for testing wouldn't be his fault.

Under the NFL substance abuse policy, Williams has the right to appeal the alleged violation to the Commissioner for a hearing.  As part of the preparation for the hearing, the timeline and other nuances regarding the ultimate responsibility for the snafu will come to light.

Per the source, it wouldn't be the first time that a player who initially was found to have failed to show up for a test was later exonerated.

We're not suggesting that Williams definitely will be off the hook.  Instead, we're saying that Ricky might be able to show that the failure to report for the test was the result of a mistake made by the NFL, not by him.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhanInDC

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Sgt PSN

Probably not.  But Lawrence Phillips and Ryan Leaf quickly come to mind. 

PhillyGirl

QuoteThe substance discovered is not known publicly but a source told ESPN.com's Clayton that the drug for which Williams was said to have tested positive was not marijuana. Williams has three times prior tested positive for marijuana use.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

LBIggle

good to see he graduated onto bigger and better things.

PhillyGirl