Players arrested '06

Started by MadMarchHare, February 13, 2006, 11:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Apparently now that Bond's gone blonde he's not as kick ass as he used to be. 

PhillyPhreak54

Albert should get back in his car and go find James J. Bonds' mother and run her ass off the road for naming him after 007.

phattymatty

Not in the NFL, but still arrested.

This Is What Happens When You Brawl On A Pecan Farm

Well, you don't see stories like this one every day. Let's see if we can piece together the progression of things that happened to Texas running back Ramonce Taylor this weekend, according to this from CBS SportsLine.com wire reports:

• Police are called in response to a fight involving as many as 100 people.
• The fight was taking place on a pecan farm in Little River, Texas.
• Ramonce Taylor, running back for the defending national champion Texas Longhorns, was the one who called police.
• Officers at the fight scene say that Taylor was involved in the fight, left, and threatened to return to the fight with his gun.
• Taylor feels the handcuffs go on.
• Taylor gives police permission to search his vehicle.
• Police find a live round of ammunition.
• Police find over five pounds of marijuana in a backpack.

See, life's a little different on the pecan farms. It's not like your cushy suburban existance. The cats on the pecan farm are hard. Oh, and possession of marijuana over five pounds is a second-degree felony, by the way, which is punishable by up to 20 years in the joint. Uh-oh.

MURP

Keith Traylor charged with DUI, drug possession

and tearing a smoke detector off a public building, which is apparently a felony in Oklahoma. 

NGM

The Dolphins are slowly and quietly trying to steal the crown of most felonious team from the Ravens.

I personally hope they fail because I am around a lot more Ravens fans.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

EJ72

Nate Newton plays last for Carolina, gets busted for hundreds of pounds of grass. Derek Ross is from South Carolina, gets busted for a pretty decent amount himself. Is there something in the air in hurricane country that breeds pot trafficking?

Ex-NHS standout gets four years

Former Northwestern High School football star Derek Ross, who later played in the NFL, was sentenced to four years in prison in Texas on Tuesday, according to prosecutors and court records.

Ross pleaded guilty to jumping bail after a drug arrest last year, prosecutors said.

Yet Ross, 26, the 1997 South Carolina high school offensive player of the year as a quarterback, still faces drug trafficking charges in South Carolina that could get him as much as 30 years in prison if he's convicted.

One of the state's most sought-after recruits before graduating in 1998, Ross has had trouble with the law since high school. He was allowed to play in the Northwestern-Rock Hill High rival game in 1997, although he was arrested earlier that day on a shoplifting charge. Ross has a conviction for failing to stop for a blue light and driving with a suspended license from 1998.

Probation from that incident was transferred to Ohio so he could attend Ohio State University. A defensive back, he was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in 2002 then played with the Atlanta Falcons in 2004.

Ross, whose address in Texas court records was listed as 238 Epting St., Rock Hill, was charged with possession of between 5 and 50 pounds of marijuana in Texas on May 8, 2005, said Mike Trent, Harris County assistant district attorney and the chief prosecutor for the 209th District Court in Houston.

Around 20 pounds of marijuana was found in Ross' car after a traffic stop, Trent said. Ross posted $99,000 bond soon afterward, Trent said, but a warrant was issued for Ross' arrest after he did not show up for court in September.

"He failed to show; he was extradited and was in custody ever since," Trent said.

As part of the plea deal, the Texas drug charge was dropped, Trent said. A felony conviction for bail jumping in Texas carries a range of two to 10 years, Trent said. The drug charge also carried a two- to 10-year range for a conviction.

Ross will serve his sentence in the Texas Department of Corrections, said Jennifer Green of the Harris County District Clerk Office.

Ross did not comment during Tuesday's plea, Trent said. John Denninger, Ross's court-appointed lawyer in Houston, could not be reached Tuesday.

Former Northwestern assistant coach Bobby Carroll, now head coach at South Pointe High School, said he hasn't seen Ross since Ross graduated in 1998. But he said Ross was one of the greatest players ever in Rock Hill.

Carroll said Ross' conviction is a tragedy because "that kid had the world at his fingertips."

However, Carroll said Ross has to pay the consequences for his actions.
"If he did it, he needs to serve his time," Carroll said.

Ross still faces drug charges in Oconee County, according to Oconee County prosecutors and court officials. He was arrested by the Oconee County Sheriff's Office in August on charges of trafficking marijuana and conspiracy to traffic marijuana. The car Ross was driving on Interstate 85 had 25 pounds of marijuana in it, according to police reports. That case against Ross is still pending, according to officials with the Oconee County Clerk of Court Office and the 10th Circuit Solicitor's Office In Walhalla.

The prosecutor handling the Oconee County charges, Lindsey Simmons, could not be reached Tuesday.

Ross is the second Trojan football star from that era to be convicted of a crime in the past month. Marco Hutchinson, who played at the University of South Carolina, is awaiting sentencing after a federal jury found him guilty of robbing a Columbia bank last year.
Andrew Dys ·329-4065 | adys@heraldonline.com

http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/2599.html

Zanshin

I think it's more the star on the helmet.

PhillyPhreak54

Don't forget about former Crimson Tide RB and Cowboy Sherman Williams. He was arrested for running a Texas to Alabama marijuana trafficking ring.

And Peppi Zellner was arrested in GA for intetnt to distribute crack cocaine...

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteDREW'S ARREST KEPT UNDER WRAPS PRE-DRAFT

Kudos to everyone involved in keeping under wraps the arrest of UCLA running back Maurice Drew only six days before the April 29 draft.

Including, apparently, the relevant law enforcement authorities.

As it turns out, Drew was busted with Bears corner Ricky Manning, Jr. on April 23 after a man allegedly had the crap beat and/or kicked out of him at a Denny's restaurant in Westwood, the site of the UCLA campus.  Previous reports indicated that the incident was sparked after a group of men started to make fun of the alleged victim for working on a laptop.

We're also assuming that the media was in some way complicit in keeping Drew's pre-draft arrest under wraps, given that the AP story announcing the fact that Drew has been charged with assault grossly glosses over the fact that Drew was originally arrested at the same time that Manning got busted.

Word of Drew's potential involvement was churning through the NFL rumor mill in the days preceding the draft, but the prevailing school of thought was that Drew had nothing to do with the incident.

The end result?  Drew was drafted in round two, by the Jaguars.  He most likely would have gone later if the arrest had been disclosed.

The winners?  Drew, obviously.  But another guy who'll make out is the alleged victim, since he'll now likely be able to get even more money from Drew through the civil justice system for injuries sustained as a result of the incident.

Diomedes

As I said in another thread today, jocks suck.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MURP

There are some great one liners from the "victim" in this one. 

link

QuoteDenver Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer was ticketed for destruction of property for an alleged road-rage confrontation with another motorist last month, Englewood police said Tuesday.

"It was unsportsmanlike conduct," said the alleged victim, Doug Stone, of the quarterback's behavior on April 20.

"I know he's under a lot of pressure, and he just has a lot of competition now," said Stone, referring to first-round draft pick Jay Cutler, the Vanderbilt quarterback selected two days after the alleged incident.

Englewood police issued a summons Friday to Plummer at his Cherry Hills Village home.

According to a news release, police said Plummer's Honda Element had rear-end damage that was consistent with the damage sustained by the Ford Ranger truck driven by Stone.

Stone said the confrontation occurred when he was driving west on West Hampden Avenue and he saw the driver of a gray Honda snaking through traffic and cutting off three other motorists. As the traffic approached South Downing Street, Stone said, the Honda driver cut in front of him.

When they reached the red light at Downing, Stone said the Honda had stopped ahead of him.

"I laid on my horn to give him notice I didn't appreciate him cutting me off as he did the other drivers that I had witnessed," Stone, 47, said.

Stone's honking apparently set off the other driver.

"He had jumped out of his car and kicked my truck and said, 'Stay off my a--,' " Stone recalled. "And he jumped back in his Honda, put his Honda in reverse and backed into my truck. He tried pushing me backward."

When the light turned green, the driver sped away. Stone said that after the confrontation he decided to pull off the highway, where he was joined by a witness who had copied down the license-plate number of Plummer's Honda. Stone then called the police to report the incident.

Stone said he did not recognize Plummer as the man who was behind the wheel and who kicked his truck until he saw a police report identifying the quarterback as the alleged culprit. A big reason for that was that Plummer no longer had his game beard on.

"I thought the guy was about 19 or 20 years old, and he lived with his parents," Stone said.

Plummer, 31, who was driving with his girlfriend as a passenger, denied any wrongdoing and claimed Stone hit his Honda from behind, Stone said.

Stone said that had he known the Broncos quarterback was the Honda driver he would not have honked at him.

"I think he's an all-around good person from the things I heard and the way he conducts himself in his hometown and in Denver," Stone said.

Neither Plummer nor his agent could be reached for comment late Tuesday.

mussa

the downfall of jake the snake
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

phattymatty

QuoteBrowns running back Droughns turns self in to face domestic violence charge

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) -- Cleveland Browns running back Reuben Droughns surrendered to authorities Wednesday for a night in jail after being charged with domestic violence.

The 27-year-old Droughns was being held without bond until a court hearing Thursday morning, Arapahoe County sheriff Patrol Capt. Mark Fisher said.

Fisher said Droughns faces misdemeanor charges of third-degree assault and harassment for an incident in this suburb south of Denver that happened May 12, three days after a jury in Medina, Ohio, acquitted him of drunken driving.

Fisher said Droughns had left the scene before sheriff's deputies arrived. Droughns turned himself in and was arrested after deputies contacted him through his attorney.

Details of the incident were not provided by authorities. Neither Droughns' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, nor Browns spokeswoman, Amy Palcic, returned messages left after hours.

Droughns, who signed a three-year contract extension with the Browns earlier this year, rushed for 1,232 yards last season on 309 carries, scoring two touchdowns. He was traded to Cleveland from Denver in March 2005.

Earlier this month, a jury decided Droughns was not impaired by alcohol when an Ohio State Patrol trooper pulled him over Nov. 1. A breath test showed Droughns had an alcohol level of 0.08, the state's legal limit.

Droughns was charged with failing the Breathalyzer test, driving under the influence and traveling 50 mph in a 35-mph zone.

Droughns and his wife, Kellie, disputed the trooper's testimony that Droughns was weaving, and Droughns said he was unfamiliar with the speed limit in the area. Droughns said he drank three cocktails at a Halloween party that night.

Sgt PSN

Didn't see this posted.

QuoteDENVER -- Former NFL running back and Super Bowl record-holder Timmy Smith was sentenced in federal court Friday to 2½ years in prison for conspiring to distribute cocaine.

Smith, 42, apologized to the state of Colorado during a hearing before U.S. District Judge Lewis Babcock. "I have made a mistake and I wasn't raised this way," he said.

Babcock said the former football player had been respected at his job as a security guard at a juvenile detention center. "You were leading a Jekyl and Hyde lifestyle," he said.

The former Washington taterskins running back was arrested last fall along with his younger brother, Christopher, after the pair sold about $20,000 worth of cocaine to undercover agents with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

Timmy Smith pleaded guilty in March to the conspiracy charge after federal prosecutors agreed to drop eight additional cocaine-trafficking counts in exchange for the guilty plea.

Christopher Smith pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of aiding and abetting and was sentenced this month to five years of probation.

In January 1988, Smith rushed for a Super Bowl-record 204 yards in the taterskins 42-10 rout of the Denver Broncos. He last played for the Dallas Cowboys in 1990.

Father Demon

QuoteFormer NFL running back and Super Bowl record-holder Timmy Smith

Quotethe former football player had been respected at his job as a security guard at a juvenile detention center

How bad do you have to farg up to have that much difference between Career A and Career B?
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.