General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Why do the Eagles always seem to be looking at projects?  Why the farg can't they look at guys who've produced at the college level, not guys who MIGHT be productive in the NFL?

Take guys who've been productive from big schools and go from there.

Just wondering.

PS: I'm not talking about taking stars in the 6th round.  I know they're not going to be available.   Productive three and four year starters will be, though.

Dillen

#1EaglesFan1973 said that the Eagles were coveting Deangelo Williams, wouldnt be too much stock in it yet. He got it from Consensus Draft in the premium section.

QuoteNews and Happenings, Water for the Rumor Mill...

Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
adavis Posted: Oct 26 2005, 12:07 AM

Head Coach
(2,001 - 5,000 posts)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 12
Admin Since: 05-11-2004

Ive talked to a few people around the league over the last few days and decided to share with you what I've been hearing. Nothing can be confirmed, but they did come from guys that I do respect, so all we can do is take it with a grain of salt.

First off, the Packers are said to covet Laurence Maroney, not Reggie Bush. They have identified the Minnesota running back as their guy at this point in the season. They do question his work ethic and character however.

Second, DeAngelo Williams is said to be coveted by.... The Eagles! With the terrible run game they have this year, this does not surprise me. With the way the Eagles trade up to take people, they could make a move on draft day to grab the Memphis speedster.

Third, it seems as though some concerns are coming up about Auburn mammoth tackle Marcus McNeill. Apparently he has a medical disorder which may cause some teams to stay away from him early in the first. He still has first round talent, but this same medical condition has dropped players in the past. It is not a mental condition of any kind, just a birth defect that is worrysome.

ice grillin you

This is a kid that you have to see day after day to truly appreciate, because he doesn't necessarily do anything spectacular, but he is steady and will work hard on every play. He has a knack for being in the right place at the right time and is more than willing to let coaches do their job and coach him
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Greenway sounds like Simoneau from that assessment.

DeAngelo Williams, eh?  5'10", 217?  As long as he's about 3 parts LaDainian and only 1 part Westbrook/Moats...

ice grillin you

even if he becomes a solid player and citizen which very well could happen thats not what the eagles need there...they need a punch you in the face playmaker whos gonna go around and chop heads

i bring up the steeelers again....why can they have five of these guys on their roster at any given time and the eagles cant find one...is it because they arent looking?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

I find that DeAngelo Williams rumor hard to believe. He'll be a hot commodity probably and as much as I like him, I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on him.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on January 27, 2006, 09:22:39 PM
Why do the Eagles always seem to be looking at projects?  Why the farg can't they look at guys who've produced at the college level, not guys who MIGHT be productive in the NFL?

Just wondering.

PS: I'm not talking about taking stars in the 6th round.  I know they're not going to be available.   Productive three and four year starters will be, though.

They don't have to be from big schools to be productive, Romey. Every guy "MIGHT" be productive in the NFL. No one is a sure thing. From the first overall pick to Mr. Irrelevant..they're all question marks, bro.

And the Eagles do find some gems in UDFA. Rod Hood is a good example of a guy who is an important part of this team but went undrafted. Just because they are not looking at highprofile guys doesn't mean they aren't looking for good players

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 28, 2006, 08:16:22 AM
Quote from: Jerome99RIP on January 27, 2006, 09:22:39 PM

Just wondering.

They don't have to be from big schools to be productive, Romey. Every guy "MIGHT" be productive in the NFL. No one is a sure thing. From the first overall pick to Mr. Irrelevant..they're all question marks, bro.

And the Eagles do find some gems in UDFA. Rod Hood is a good example of a guy who is an important part of this team but went undrafted. Just because they are not looking at highprofile guys doesn't mean they aren't looking for good players

I acknowledge they do a good job in the street free agent market.  My problem with them stems from their drafting strategies.

BTW: I'd rather have a guy who was a four year starter at Texas than a four year starter at Bethune Cookman College.  That's all I'm saying.

PhillyPhreak54

But why? There have been a lot of busts to come out of the major schools. Obviously they also produce more players because of the fact they get the elite guys. But if your scouting is good you don't have to sweat it. If a guy can play ball, he can play ball.

I had this discussion (somewhat) with a friend. He was saying pretty much what you are saying and I hold a little bit of a different view. I want football players. I want guys who can get it done. I don't want workout warriors or guys who look the part. Gimme the guy who will be fundamentally sound.

Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick are a good example of this. Parcells does it a lot too. They'll take a guy who might not measure out great, who might not fly like the wind but who can straight up play. Look at Tedy Bruschi. He was a DE who had no shot of being an NFL DE. Look at Dan Klecko. He was a DT in college, Temple no less, and he's a guy who they move around. DeMarcus Ware went to Troy State and he's very good.

MURP

sucks Bunkley isnt playing, I was finally hoping to see him in action.

Rome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 28, 2006, 08:36:38 AM
Look at Dan Klecko. He was a DT in college, Temple no less, and he's a guy who they move around.

:o :boom

Are you saying Temple isn't a major college football program?

F*** you!

:-D

PS: None of them were "projects" coming out, were they?

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: MURP on January 28, 2006, 08:46:04 AM
sucks Bunkley isnt playing, I was finally hoping to see him in action.

I gotta give it to you guys. Last night they had Day 1 of the Senior Bowl on NFL network at 8:30EST. I was farging bored to tears. Other than seeing a couple of guys I was wanting to see for a second or two, a bunch of slop. The last time I'll be watching it. Thanks for the updates and details though, you diligent bastiches.

Info on DeAngelo:

Position: Running Back

School: Memphis

Height: 5-10

Weight: 217

40-Yard Dash: 4.45(est)

Positives:
DeAngelo Williams possesses simply incredible athleticism, shows great balance and burst, with good shiftiness when moving through the second level. He also has great straight-line speed and acceleration when getting through the holes in the line. Has the ability to run around or over tacklers so long as they don't wrap up in time. Williams also has a good nose for the endzone, running harder as he gets closer to it, a la Shaun Alexander of the Seattle Seahawks.

Negatives:
Williams doesn't always show the instincts you want to see from a runner by not seeming to always read where linebackers and safeties are going in relation to his running lanes. Also seems to have some problems breaking tackles once the tackler starts wrapping up and pushing through them for extra yardage, but he has gotten better about it over the past couple of seasons. Williams has had some problems with leg injuries, which could be a concern for prospective teams.

Overview:
Williams is the active career leader in the NCAA for rushing yards, all-purpose yards, rushing average, and rushing touchdowns. He was named to the first-team All-American squad by Pro Football Weekly in 2004, in addition to a cabinet full of other honors and acknowledgments awarded to him

No thanks.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.