I guess Reid was serious about his assistants

Started by bobbyinlondon, January 13, 2006, 03:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingspan

Quote from: phattymatty on January 13, 2006, 11:49:44 AM
I really doubt Childress remembers how to call a play.

true. i can see minnesota lining up...and then culpepper realizes that no one actually called a play
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

General_Failure

Quote from: Sun_Mo on January 13, 2006, 08:50:03 AM
nobody was whining about the WR coach last year, weird, he must have done a good job then.  i'm sure it has nothing to do with the talent on the roster.

As of right now, the Eagles have developed 0 starting quality receivers. Some of the blame has to go to the position coach.

The man. The myth. The legend.

MURP

link

QuotePaul Domowitch | Childress: Calling own plays no biggie
by Paul Domowitch

SO MUCH FOR speculation that offensive coordinators who don't call their own plays will have a devil of a time getting an NFL head-coaching job.

Brad Childress, who did very little of the playcalling during his 4 years as Andy Reid's top offensive lieutentant with the Eagles, was gobbled up by the Minnesota Vikings last week. And Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, who watched Mike Shanahan call the plays in Denver, is expected to be named the Houston Texans' coach as soon as his team's season is over.

"I think that's really overrated," Childress said this week in a phone interview from the Vikings' suburban Minneapolis headquarters. "I did it for 8 years at the collegiate level at Wisconsin. I did it for 4 years before that at Northern Arizona. That's 12 years right there.

"When you prepare [for a game] at this level, it's all laying in front of you right there. It's not appropriate to go out of the box and pull something that's not on the game-plan sheet. This is such a segmented game now that you've got your calls on third-and-3 or 4, or third-and-short, or inside the 5-yard line. Where the power of choice really comes in is on your normal downs. On your first-and-10s, where you have basically the whole card at your disposal, basically run or pass.

"We all sit and lay it out. We all work on it. We all put it together. What fits and doesn't fit. You know what you want to do situationally. It's just rhythm and the particular mind-set that person [calling the plays] has."

Childress said he actually did a good bit of the playcalling in the second half of the season this year, which partially explains why the Eagles ran the ball a little more down the stretch. In their last seven games, 42.3 percent of their offensive plays were runs, compared with just 23.5 percent in their first nine games. As it is, they still finished with the third most pass attempts in the league (620).

Will his Vikings emphasize the run a little more than Reid's Eagles?

"We're in the black-and-blue division," he said. "We've got to do it some. And the defense has to practice against it a little bit to be decent. So, I'm sure we will."

Wingspan

QuotePaul Domowitch | Childress: Calling own plays no biggie

Childress said he actually did a good bit of the playcalling in the second half of the season this year, which partially explains why the Eagles ran the ball a little more down the stretch. In their last seven games, 42.3 percent of their offensive plays were runs, compared with just 23.5 percent in their first nine games.

Game : Rushes / Total Plays = %
Game 1: 14/61 = 23%
Game 2: 17/58 = 29%
Game 3: 18/71 = 25%
Game 4: 17/66 = 26%
Game 5: 9/43 = 21%
Game 6: 14/71 = 20%
Game 7: 19/55 = 35%
Game 8: 23/60 = 38%
Game 9: 36/77 = 48%

Total in games 1-9: 167/562 = 30%
30% ? 23.5%

Game 10: 30/69 = 43%
Game 11: 34/64 = 53%
Game 12: 25/68 = 37%
Game 13: 25/63 = 40%
Game 14: 28/60  = 47%
Game 15: 17/57 = 30%
Game 16: 25/71 = 35%

Total in games 10-16: 184/452 = 41%
41% ? 42.3

Domowitchhunter ? spin docter
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PoopyfaceMcGee

a called pass turns into a run when the QB scrambles

Wingspan

Quote from: FFatPatt on January 13, 2006, 04:02:15 PM
a called pass turns into a run when the QB scrambles

i doubt domowitch gave it that much thought. plus mcmahon ran more times than mcnabb did, the the latter half obviously, so the run number would be more inflated in the later half.

what domowitch more likely did, was caluclate weeks 1-9, not games 1-9 (bye week moves the 48% game 9 into week 10)
Connection Problems

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I'm really glad I was unable to watch that game.  Pity that I watched all the other ones.

MURP

QuoteThe Star Tribune reports the Minnesota Vikings have hired Philadelphia Eagles assistant strength and conditioning coach Tom Kanavy to be their head strength and conditioning coach.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Reid must have given a special exemption for that one guy.

ice grillin you

childress must have been impressed with andrews going from 57 to 55% body fat
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Wingspan

Quote from: MURP on January 18, 2006, 01:14:37 PM
QuoteThe Star Tribune reports the Minnesota Vikings have hired Philadelphia Eagles assistant strength and conditioning coach Tom Kanavy to be their head strength and conditioning coach.

looking at the last 5 minutes of the superbowl, and the rash of injuries since...i dont see how this is a bad thing at all. see-ya tommy!
Connection Problems

BigEd76

Supposedly one of the trainers is also going to Minnesota...

qwert246

Quote from: Wingspan on January 18, 2006, 01:28:06 PM
Quote from: MURP on January 18, 2006, 01:14:37 PM

looking at the last 5 minutes of the superbowl, and the rash of injuries since...i dont see how this is a bad thing at all. see-ya tommy!
Kearse and Pinkston were cramping up due to dehydration in the third quarter.  I thought Dawkins as well, but maybe I'm just remembering an IV from another game.
He should have taken more heat for players not being properly hydrated.