Interesting item on teams who want to sign "You know who" in the offseason

Started by bobbyinlondon, January 08, 2006, 05:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

All I'm saying is that certain weaknesses are a lot more obvious (and a lot more weak) than they were during last year's off-season.  The Eagles returned most of a team coming off a 3-point defeat in the Super Bowl and were adding a handful of key draft picks.  At the time, there was much less reason to think it was a good idea to push the limits of the salary cap.

I'm not a homer.  I'm a realist, in both good times and bad.  You're a WIP alarmist, always trying to say "I told you so" and claim that the sky is and always has been falling.

I'm simply asking for a short list of about 2 names from last year's UFA's that you truly felt at the time that the Eagles should have signed.  Apparently, it's a lot easier to bitch and moan about not using the salary cap space than to state specifics ways in which you would have used it, huh?

ice grillin you

i know how this works...i name two players and you say theres no way they could have got them...they arent better than what they had...they werent available ect ect ect....and then i say youre wrong...im not going to go back and forth on free agency minutia from last spring

all im saying is double figures under the cap and ZERO improvements made...even the patriots after superbowl WINS added important pieces...the eagles did nothing zilch zero nada in a year they should have and more importantly could have made their team better

bobbyinlondon

Here--I'll give you some help--

OL--Wahle (OG)--got an 8M bonus from Carolina
      McKenzie got a 13M bonus from the Giants
      Jennings got a 12M SB from the 49ers
      Rivera got a 9M bonus fro the Jets

The Eagles felt they were good on the offensive line. They had given up 20 sacks in 11 games before all of the injuries set in. When they called more runs then passes, they were effective. Now, where would Rivera and Wahle, BOTH 30 or over fit on this line?

WR--Burress got 8M in bonus money from the Giants
       Houshmenzada was a RFA and would have required draft pick compensation
       Muhammed got 12M in bonus money form the Bears

Right, when Owens hired Rosenhaus,  Muhammed was gone, Housh had been signed, and only Burress was out there. So, the question is, would you have signed ANOTHER head case to go along with Owens?

DL--We can debate the Burgess deal for the next century, but the fact is that NO ONE could see he was going to have the kind of year he had in Oakland--not when he spent 2 yrs on IR, had a career high 6 sacks in 2001 as a rookie, and had spent 4 games LAST YEAR on the sidelines.

To be continued...(I have to go on break)

ice grillin you

in your never ending quest to defend the front office youre missing the point...youre only listing the very best free agents at their position...no one is saying they should have dropped 20 million in signing bonuses...but to have done absolutely nothing is inexcusable

Father Demon

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 11, 2006, 10:53:09 AM
in your never ending quest to defend the front office youre missing the point...youre only listing the very best free agents at their position...no one is saying they should have dropped 20 million in signing bonuses...but to have done absolutely nothing is inexcusable

At least he's offering examples instead of empty complaining.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

PoopyfaceMcGee

ice grillin you

empty complaining?...im pointing out something that is factual and true...the eagles did nothing to improve their team and had the money to do so...how can you spin that...by listing teams that did improve themselves?

hes listing random players that got signed by other teams who had less cap room than the eagles...as if it was a bad move that the bears signed mushin muhammed...if anything hes making the eagles look worse

am i saying they should have signed any or all of the players he mentioned no of course not but at least other teams made an attempt...the eagles wouldnt even sign someone to replace jr reed...

telling someone to name a player so you can search for reasons why the eagles shouldnt have signed him is 3rd grade arguing and something i will not be a part of

PoopyfaceMcGee

Refusing to get specific in an argument is like a political debate, and I don't want to be a part of that, either.

You're more wrong than you are right in this case.  It's that simple.  You wouldn't dare want to prove that by actually getting specific with the argument, so you'll instead pretend you're above that.

Nice try, but you're full of shtein.

ice grillin you

im wrong only because its impossible to be right when debating with homers of the highest degree

yous could learn a lot from phreak

Cerevant

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 11, 2006, 11:26:27 AM
im wrong only because its impossible to be right when debating with homers of the highest degree

yous could learn a lot from phreak

Dude - go take some prozac.  Your persecuted victim schtick is getting old.

Anyway, the Eagles are 13-3 last season, and are a handful of stupid coaching & QB decisions from winning the Super Bowl.  They have 11 draft picks.  What exactly should have been setting off alarms in the heads of the coaching/FO staff to say - "hey, you know, we need to make some changes here"

You keep saying backup QB...Koy had shown the ability to come off the bench and hold the team together.  McMahon was a project that failed.  It isn't like they didn't try to address the situation.

Then there is kick returner.  Yes the Eagles lost Reed, but there were a number of players already on the roster that supposedly had KR skills.  Where was the problem?

My problem with your argument is that you keep going back to the cap.  The problem had nothing to do with money, it was roster spots.  AR is clearly a "if it ain't broke" kind of guy.  He isn't going to go around making changes for the sake of change.  So tell us, where was the team so broken that it was obvious that there needed to be a change?
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

ice grillin you

Cerevant

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 11, 2006, 11:38:02 AM
not changes...improvements

Well, with a 53 man roster, if someone comes in someone else has to go.  Where did the Eagles need to make improvements?
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

ice grillin you

linebacker...kick returner...punt returner...linebacker...defensive end...fullback...

what did they do?

mike mcmahon

hunt

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 11, 2006, 11:43:46 AM
linebacker...kick returner...punt returner...linebacker...defensive end...fullback...

what did they do?

mike mcmahon

i'm not sure how anyone can argue this...mcmahon really was their only free agent signing.
on the flipside, they lost 2 starters from the d-line, their kick returner, & the nfc's pro bowl special teamer.

that's not a successful offseason.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is