Interesting item on teams who want to sign "You know who" in the offseason

Started by bobbyinlondon, January 08, 2006, 05:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Demon

Quote from: bobbyinlondon on January 09, 2006, 10:53:58 AM
Quote from: Cerevant on January 09, 2006, 05:54:31 AM
Quote from: Philly Forever on January 08, 2006, 10:59:09 PM
2007 is not going to be an uncapped year.

At least in my opinion. They will get the CBA done.

I agree, but for the purposes of this argument, unless the CBA gets done before the cap year starts (March 1?) they will have to operate 2006 as if it were the year before an uncapped year.

Correct--and if that happens, a lot of rules change--

1. You have to be in the league 6 years before you become a UFA, and 4 years to be a RFA.

2. The playoff teams will have restrictions on the FAs they can sign. If you reach the FINAL FOUR, you won't be able to sign any FAs except if you lose one, and then, he can only sign for what the guy you lost made.

That's farging bizarre.  I can't even begin to understand the logic behind all of that, and I can't imagine why it was agreed to.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

rjs246

Quote from: DemonchildrenOnTurf on January 09, 2006, 02:26:21 PM
That's farging bizarre. I can't even begin to understand the logic behind all of that, and I can't imagine why it was agreed to.

Motivation to get the new CBA done on time.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MURP

QuoteJim Flynn, of PewterReport.com, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden addressed an ESPN report that said the Buccaneers had interest in Philadelphia Eagles WR Terrell Owens. "I don't watch ESPN, and for good reason," said Gruden. "[Owens] is under contract, and it's tampering to even discuss his situation. I wouldn't even go there and try to respond."

Don Ho

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on January 08, 2006, 07:46:47 PM
Won't the CBA be redone by the time the "uncapped" year comes into play?

The Hawaii Mega Force of the ABA just folded after three games.  Including players I think they averaged 25 people a game.  Maybe knuckle head wants to own an "upstart" franchise.  Player/coach?  Player/trainer?  Player/usher?  Player/hot dog vendor?
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Father Demon

Quote from: Don Ho on January 10, 2006, 03:16:35 PM
Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on January 08, 2006, 07:46:47 PM
Won't the CBA be redone by the time the "uncapped" year comes into play?

The Hawaii Mega Force of the ABA just folded after three games.  Including players I think they averaged 25 people a game.  Maybe knuckle head wants to own an "upstart" franchise.  Player/coach?  Player/trainer?  Player/usher?  Player/hot dog vendor?

That is seriously one goofy-ass team logo.....
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

PhillyFan

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 09, 2006, 03:33:57 AM
Quote from: L-ong-B-each-I-ggle on January 08, 2006, 08:07:29 PM
wonder if the uncapped year will complete the eagles slide into mediocrity.  we don't spend all the money available under the cap as it is now.

The Eagles have spent the 2nd most money over the last 5 years when looking at real money. Not salary cap terms but actual cash - the Eagles are #2 with over 300,000,000 paid out in salaries, bonuses and stuff like that.

You're talking to a wall my friend.  It's becoming more clear every day that many people just don't want facts to get in the way of their little fantasy world.   

General_Failure

Well maybe if the Eagles would spend all that spare cap money people would pay attention.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 09, 2006, 03:33:57 AM

The Eagles have spent the 2nd most money over the last 5 years when looking at real money. Not salary cap terms but actual cash - the Eagles are #2 with over 300,000,000 paid out in salaries, bonuses and stuff like that.

Dude, Lurie can barely afford his hair. What do you want the poor guy to do? Walk around town with a $12 haircut? I DON'T THINK SO!
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

that might mean something if they didnt go into seasons like this last one being 10 mil under the cap and not having a legit kick returner...punt returner or back up qb...all positions that are easy to fill and come cheap...their free agency period consisted of mike mcmahon...i mean wtf?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

You're right. But there is a distinction between what you're saying and what I posted.

What I posted was pretty much in response to Lurie being cheap. I've had to use that little stat when we argue about this at work. Lurie will spend the money.

What you're talking about is the ay-to-day football ops people having the money and not spending it. Or should I say, Joe Banner not spending it. Maybe Reid urged him that they'd be OK or maybe there were other targets out there that Banner said no to, I don't know. But I do know that Lurie isn't cheap.

Banner is the bean counter for players.

ice grillin you

lurie will spend money to make money...as any good business man will...however how willing is lurie to spend money that wont directly make him money but might help him win a title

im not 100% sure hes cheap when it comes to that but it sure looks like it sometimes...perhaps its more stupidity or a matter of being gutless

PhillyPhreak54

I think it was more like "Uh, we're fine there" uttered by Reid and/or Heckert. The fact that they're that high in dollars spent is an indicator they'll spend.

But they have to use their brains a little better and this year helped them, at least I hope so, inthe sense that they cannot be dormant again.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Re-signing Burgess would have been the only money-spending move that the Eagles truly missed out on last off-season.  Where else would you have had them throw a chunk of change?

ice grillin you

im not gonna get into naming names but there were like 400 ufa last year and youre telling me there wasnt any they could have gotten that would have upgraded their special teams...back up qb...linebackers ect...

PoopyfaceMcGee

As much as Burgess was a regular season snoozer and playoff stud last year, so was Keith Adams.  Burgess ended up proving it wasn't a fluke, and Adams proved it did.  It was also reasonable to believe that Dhani Jones would be better in his 2nd year in Jim Johnson's system.  Let's just say the LB's were expected to be much better than they were.

Also, with special teams, there were injuries on top of injuries.

And the Eagles truly hoped they were going to be able to parlay Mike McMahon into a draft choice.  Whoops.

All this said, it's important that you do name at least 1 or 2 specific names that you would not have passed on, given the Eagles situation when they were signed.  Otherwise, you just come off as generally a whiner with no specific ideas or proof of how it could have been done better.