Interesting item on teams who want to sign "You know who" in the offseason

Started by bobbyinlondon, January 08, 2006, 05:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbyinlondon

http://www.profootballtalk.com

T.O. WILL BE A CHALLENGE TO SIGN

Conventional wisdom throughout the league is that someone will offer receiver Terrell Owens a modest contract that permits him to cash in via incentive payments.

Absent an extension to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, however, it will be impossible for any team to use this device without holding back enough cap room to satisfy the incentives, if they are earned.

Because 2007 will be an uncapped year, all incentives immediately count against the cap when earned, even the so-called "not likely to be earned" incentives, which otherwise would count against the 2007 uncapped year if earned in 2006. 

As a result, any team that signs Owens to an incentive-heavy deal will be required to have on hand the corresponding cap space, even if Owens never meets the threshold for the payment.

Let's assume, for example, that Owens gets $1 million in salary and up to $5 million in not likely to be earned incentives.  In any other year, the team would need only $1 million in cap space in order to do the deal.  Any incentive payments would then count against the following year's cap.

Look for teams, then, to shy away from an incentive-laden deal when talking with T.O., and to instead explore other devices (such as a roster bonus paid on a weekly basis) to protect against a recurrence of Owens' turdish behavior.

Father Demon

My money says that 81 will not act in "turdish" behavior no matter who he signs with.  He'll have a model year, enticing some team to pay too much for too long in the 07 season....
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Susquehanna Birder

Won't the CBA be redone by the time the "uncapped" year comes into play?

General_Failure

No, 28 of the owners are looking forward to skyrocketing salaries.

The man. The myth. The legend.

LBIggle

wonder if the uncapped year will complete the eagles slide into mediocrity.  we don't spend all the money available under the cap as it is now.

SunMo

Quote from: L-ong-B-each-I-ggle on January 08, 2006, 08:07:29 PM
wonder if the uncapped year will complete the eagles slide into mediocrity.  we don't spend all the money available under the cap as it is now.

i seriously wish every person who said that would be shot and killed
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

LBIggle

i'm sorry. we do spend every dollar under the cap now.  please don't shoot and kill me.

The BIGSTUD

2007 is not going to be an uncapped year.

At least in my opinion. They will get the CBA done.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

The Count

why doesn't the idiot get release his manager and grow some brains and play for the best football organisation in the league. The combination with Mcnabb was second to none this prick has fuelled his player with so much crap his balls are ready to explode. Eagles need a running game and some LB.

If the skins and giants made the playoffs we won't have a problem in the years to come with a fit Mcnabb.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Feva

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: L-ong-B-each-I-ggle on January 08, 2006, 08:07:29 PM

The Eagles have spent the 2nd most money over the last 5 years when looking at real money. Not salary cap terms but actual cash - the Eagles are #2 with over 300,000,000 paid out in salaries, bonuses and stuff like that.

Cerevant

Quote from: Philly Forever on January 08, 2006, 10:59:09 PM

I agree, but for the purposes of this argument, unless the CBA gets done before the cap year starts (March 1?) they will have to operate 2006 as if it were the year before an uncapped year.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

bobbyinlondon

Quote from: Cerevant on January 09, 2006, 05:54:31 AM

I agree, but for the purposes of this argument, unless the CBA gets done before the cap year starts (March 1?) they will have to operate 2006 as if it were the year before an uncapped year.

Correct--and if that happens, a lot of rules change--

1. You have to be in the league 6 years before you become a UFA, and 4 years to be a RFA.

2. The playoff teams will have restrictions on the FAs they can sign. If you reach the FINAL FOUR, you won't be able to sign any FAs except if you lose one, and then, he can only sign for what the guy you lost made.

methdeez

Quote from: bobbyinlondon on January 09, 2006, 10:53:58 AM
Quote from: Cerevant on January 09, 2006, 05:54:31 AM

Correct--and if that happens, a lot of rules change--

1. You have to be in the league 6 years before you become a UFA, and 4 years to be a RFA.

2. The playoff teams will have restrictions on the FAs they can sign. If you reach the FINAL FOUR, you won't be able to sign any FAs except if you lose one, and then, he can only sign for what the guy you lost made.
That's nutty. What's the idea behind that? I always thought tha FA was a way for quality teams to make up for thier low draft picks, by picking up FA's who want to be with a  winner.