Morningwood Taking Heat? & Heckert On His Way Out?

Started by PhillyPhreak54, January 02, 2006, 03:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

FOXSPorts.com

I posted this last night but it looks like it got caught up in the server moving stuff...

QuoteEagles offensive assistant Marty Mornhinweg is taking some heat for two of his big recommendations: that receiver Terrell Owens could be managed and that Mike McMahon was a solid backup quarterback. Tom Heckert, Jr., the personnel man, would consider leaving the Eagles for total control with another organization. Coach Andy Reid doesn't want to lose him, but he's been receiving some criticism internally from VP Joe Banner.

Why the hell would Banner be hot with Heckert?

bobbyinlondon

I can't remember WHERE I read it, but I read that Banner was blaming Heckert for the lack of quality of backups on this year's team.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: bobbyinlondon on January 02, 2006, 05:09:40 PM
I can't remember WHERE I read it, but I read that Banner was blaming Heckert for the lack of quality of backups on this year's team.

Interesting.

If Banner is right and Heckert is at fault then maybe Tom leaving isn't such a bad thing. I like Heckert and all, but maybe this team needs fresh blood up there in that department. Someone who likes LBs and realizes they are vital parts to a team. :paranoid

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 02, 2006, 06:27:20 PM
Quote from: bobbyinlondon on January 02, 2006, 05:09:40 PM

Interesting.

If Banner is right and Heckert is at fault then maybe Tom leaving isn't such a bad thing. I like Heckert and all, but maybe this team needs fresh blood up there in that department. Someone who likes LBs and realizes they are vital parts to a team. :paranoid

That is a problem since the Reid era not just since Heckert has been here. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah, I know. But Heckert is a believer in that philosophy. Maybe if they got someone up there in that position to seel Reid on that it would help. Jason Licht would likely be the guy to step up if Heckert leaves and I don't know what his views are.

Geowhizzer

In the end, how much say in personnel decision does Heckert really have?  Is it co-equal with Reid, or does Reid have final say/ veto power over those decisions?

ice grillin you

In the end, how much say in personnel decision does Heckert really have?

none...other than the combine which reid also goes too...heckert NEVER leaves the novacare facility...which is unheard of gor a pp guy...so its not like hes out there seeing things that reid isnt
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

I've heard Heckert say that he goes out and scouts guys....

But either way, this team needs changes.

Seabiscuit36

Licht is a Pioli disciple from New England so i say let heckert go on and further his resume and get some younger blood in the F.O.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Westy

The same day Eagles vice president of personnel Tom Heckert Jr. was supposed to head to Minnesota for an interview, Philly stepped up for the block.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Eagles signed Heckert to become the team's new general manager Monday. Heckert got a new deal with the promotion and some new duties along with his new job title. The 38-year-old Heckert had served as the team's head of personnel for the past few years and was the Vikings' top choice to head up its personnel department. But after the Vikings asked for permission to interview Heckert on Sunday night, the Birds stepped up in order to convince him to stay.
Minnesota, however, was not left without an Eagles employee flying out to interview. FOXSports.com also learned that offensive coordinator Brad Childress flew to the Twin Cities on Monday afternoon and will be the first interview for Mike Tice's old job.

Childress will also interview in Green Bay and Houston this week and possibly New Orleans.

Heckert is considered one of the bright young football people in the NFL and has been a hot GM candidate the last two years. He joined the Eagles as the club's director of player personnel in May 2001, after a 10-year stint as a member of the Miami Dolphins player personnel department. He was then promoted to a vice-president position and now gets the coveted general manager's title.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5214884

PhillyPhreak54

Wow!! Nice find, Westy...

I guess that answers the Heckert question and obviously Banner wasn't too pissed off.

Now does this mean that Reid's personnel decsions have been taken away or at least curtailed a bit?

Westy

I'm worried this is almost ceremonial and Reid will still have final say in all crappy LBs added.

PhillyPhreak54

I see what you're saying and you could be right, but consider this;

Would Heckert accept the job knowing it is nothing but a figurehead position?

He knew Minnesota was about to give him the keys to their roster. So why come back to a spot where he has no final say>

We'll see how this shakes out. But if Reid is out as the GM, I support that.

Westy

I too support Reid out as GM... I question Heckert's ability to scout personal and I think this offseason will show his abilities.  I think that the bad backup decisions are more of a case of assuming everything will be fine and taking the season with a grain of salt, trying to protect the cap instead of the QB situation.